STAAR TESTING CANCELLED (4/6/21)

Coach Rab

6 minutes ago, Slickarick said:

cancel culture get on this. The test are biased anyway.

Yep.  These tests skew towards kids who pay attention in class on doing well compared to those who don't.

Don't get me wrong, standardized testing is a joke and makes a mockery of education.  However, if your child doesn't pay attention in class, they won't do well on these tests.

• Like 2

Just now, MavGrad99 said:

Yep.  These tests skew towards kids who pay attention in class on doing well compared to those who don't.

Don't get me wrong, standardized testing is a joke and makes a mockery of education.  However, if your child doesn't pay attention in class, they won't do well on these tests.

Unfortunately, it's much more nuanced than that.

4 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Isn't that kind of the point of a test to begin with lol?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

Since it's only a snapshot, this test does not show mastery of the content. All it takes is one bad day and you're affected majorly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

Since it's only a snapshot, this test does not show mastery of the content. All it takes is one bad day and you're affected majorly. 

are you saying you are more in favor of benchmarks?  or Content mastery exams after each lesson?    I do think we need standards in schools sponsored and paid for with public money, but I think we need something more than 1 comprehensive exam...  BUT, kids who actually listen and learn in school will do better on the STAAR and will likely pass.  

If education is done correctly, kids who fail on regular assignments and tests will likely fail any content mastery exam.  That's not racist or skewed towards anyone except kids who try.

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

are you saying you are more in favor of benchmarks?  or Content mastery exams after each lesson?    I do think we need standards in schools sponsored and paid for with public money, but I think we need something more than 1 comprehensive exam...  BUT, kids who actually listen and learn in school will do better on the STAAR and will likely pass.  

If education is done correctly, kids who fail on regular assignments and tests will likely fail any content mastery exam.  That's not racist or skewed towards anyone except kids who try.

Definitely more in favor of benchmarks. If a kid bombs one test, maybe it's a bad day but if a kid bombs 20 tests that's a different story. 

10 minutes ago, Sportsguru02 said:

I hate that teachers have to teach towards a test instead of just teaching like back in the day. 

back in the day for me was the CAT then TAAS... So there has always been a hand dipping into the money jar...  I am not completely against standardized tests...  there should be some level of measurable competence to graduate high school.  How its administered and taught is the problem.  

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

back in the day for me was the CAT then TAAS... So there has always been a hand dipping into the money jar...  I am not completely against standardized tests...  there should be some level of measurable competence to graduate high school.  How its administered and taught is the problem.  

I agree I remember when u took the TAAS test in the 8th grade and Jr yr. I just think a lot of kids gets nervous because of how much pressure they’re are under if they don’t pass. How are they gonna say it’s a chance u won’t graduate if u don’t pass the staar test that’s crazy.

On 4/7/2021 at 12:32 PM, MavGrad99 said:

Expect when some of the questions on the test are written at higher than grade level compression and becomes a reading test and not a math or science test. And when some questions only pair up tekes with one or two others. So that question doesn't really quantitate the information about that teke. Sorry I have written for this crazy test before and it is unfair to some kids.