Cancel Culture

ctown81

This is not just raced based for me but overall. Why do people criticize holding adults responsible for their own actions. Especially online. Way too many people say things they wouldn't say to anyone's face and I'm glad clowns are facing consequences. 

6 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

This is not just raced based for me but overall. Why do people criticize holding adults responsible for their own actions. Especially online. Way too many people say things they wouldn't say to anyone's face and I'm glad clowns are facing consequences. 

Smoaky full of these

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I thought words and actions were 2 different things. Words cannot hurt you physically but actions can. If I call you a name and you hit me, you are at fault cause that word did nothing to hurt you physically.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I think it's the extent to which it's taken. If you posted an inappropriate joke on Twitter 10 years ago, do you really deserve to get fired from your job, or evicted from your residence for it? Or put in a position where it's harder for you to bank or buy things?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Straw said:

I thought words and actions were 2 different things. Words cannot hurt you physically but actions can. If I call you a name and you hit me, you are at fault cause that word did nothing to hurt you physically.

Words can definitely trigger some to lash out LOL

41 minutes ago, Straw said:

“Freedom of speech isn’t freedom from consequences” is just a tool of suppression.  No one should get fired, harassed or any back lash for anything they say that isn’t a direct threat toward someone else. 

• Thanks 1

Taking away freedom of speech is a bad thing.  Who does that?  Here’s a few - China, North Korea, Argentina, Vietnam.  The next question, if your an advocate of Cancel Culture, which one of those countries would you like to live in?

Can someone please cancel me--I want to get a great book deal, write a book, sell it through Fox Nation, and become a millionaire, so that I can move to a small island of the cost of Panama--🤣, but if I get a big enough book deal--I could get a larger island than what I am looking at now. :rofl:

2 hours ago, Youngcoach123 said:

“Freedom of speech isn’t freedom from consequences” is just a tool of suppression.  No one should get fired, harassed or any back lash for anything they say that isn’t a direct threat toward someone else. 

It depends on the type of job. If I said "I hate all whites", would you want me teaching your child? Also, if you don't want your company being associated with certain ideologies, the companies have every right to get rid of that person.

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Taking away freedom of speech is a bad thing.  Who does that?  Here’s a few - China, North Korea, Argentina, Vietnam.  The next question, if your an advocate of Cancel Culture, which one of those countries would you like to live in?

The GOVERNMENT takes those freedoms away in those countries. No one gets arrested for what they say here. Private individuals (business owners) have a right to determine what can be said on their private property. If I come into you house and start cursing in front of your kids, you have every right to kick my butt out. Does that mean you're taking away my freedom of speech?

I'm all for holding people accountable for their words, but the issue I have with cancel culture is that apologies are never accepted. There's no forgiveness for mistakes, thus, not allowing the person who made the mistake to grow. They just get thrown out. How are they supposed to learn and grow when they don't get a second chance? I probably said a lot of stupid stuff when I was 14 that I would not agree with now. I'm not the same person I was when I was 14, much less 2 years ago. We are constantly evolving as humans. There has to be forgiveness. I just don't see that cancel culture allows forgiveness. So I'll criticize people who don't give others a chance to learn from their mistakes. 

6 minutes ago, BoHogg said:

This Cancel Culture thing didn't just now start. Ask the Dixie Chicks circa 2003.

I think that’s a little different.  People aren’t trying to erase them because a made up rhetoric or skewed sense of history.  They ran their mouths about the potus in a foreign country and Americans quit giving them their money.  They essentially cost themselves their career.  

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

It depends on the type of job. If I said "I hate all whites", would you want me teaching your child? Also, if you don't want your company being associated with certain ideologies, the companies have every right to get rid of that person.

one is gov and one is private. I can choose different companies unless school choice happens and the gov gets completely out of the school then that will always be the case. 
Also, I don’t think companies should have a say on employees say in there own time. Unless contracted specifically what is allowed or not. Then the employee has a say in it. Which is what the case is mostly now. 

3 hours ago, Hagar said:

You left out leftist America.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

The GOVERNMENT takes those freedoms away in those countries. No one gets arrested for what they say here. Private individuals (business owners) have a right to determine what can be said on their private property. If I come into you house and start cursing in front of your kids, you have every right to kick my butt out. Does that mean you're taking away my freedom of speech?

So Biden accuses Ga of enacting Jim Crow laws, which gets the All Star game moved out of 52% black Atlanta to 90% white Denver.   Doesn’t Biden represent our Government?  So the camel has it’s nose under the tent.  It’s a slippery slope pisano.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think that’s a little different.  People aren’t trying to erase them because a made up rhetoric or skewed sense of history.  They ran their mouths about the potus in a foreign country and Americans quit giving them their money.  They essentially cost themselves their career.  

their record label immediately dropped them as well.