Jump to content

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

any news on this one?

Moving slowly. Edgewood was eliminated in round one of the baseball playoffs. Hiring process has just begun.

My bold prediction here is if they don't already have a guy in mind, the AD/OC acts as they HFC for this season only and this job opens back up after the completion of their football season. 

It's hard to find the right guy, but is super easy to find the wrong guy. May get a better pool of candidates in the winter and the OC would do a great job for a year. He is a great man and coach. 

Just what I think could happen. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As long as the AD and head football are split it will always be a stepping stone job 

this argument is dumb i just want to know whats going on at edgewood

Stepp tweeted that Sulphur Springs DC Alex Guerra is the new HC

Posted Images

On 5/13/2021 at 11:52 AM, CodeBreaker said:

AD is responsible for ALL sports, boys and girls. If they aren't getting it done in anything but baseball, they need a new AD. 

And as a footnote, "making" the playoffs in anything these days in smaller schools is not an accomplishment at all. Over 64% of all teams in the state make the playoffs, So even if you are 3rd in your district, you are still only in the topo 52% of the state. There's not much glory there. And don't even talk about it compared to before the 2 champs system. Before that, there were DOUBLE the teams per classification and HALF as many made it from each district. So they cut the Classification IN HALF AND THEN DOUBLED THE ENTRIES TO THE PLAYOFFS!!!!! It's not wonder football has become so watered down and soft. But, I digress. Just don't use "playoffs" as a measuring stick any longer. It doesn't mean anything any more. Seriously, there are multiple 0-10 teams in the playoffs now. It means nothing. 

Ok man lets use some common sense here. The comment was that Edgewood is average. Placing them in the top 50-60% of schools is average. If we were to look at "back in your day", making the playoffs would make someone a good to really good team. That's not the comment.

Some districts are stacked, some districts are competitive, some are terrible in both quality of teams and numbers. You can look at their record, you can look at their district, and then make a reasonable assumption based on playoffs. For the most part a team that makes the playoffs is an average team. There are some exceptions but we can talk in generalities if we use common sense.

Every year there is a 4 seed that upsets a 1, and in every sport. Playoffs aren't watered down they are more competitive because good teams aren't getting left out because of a tough district.

 In the end Edgewood is an average program in every sport right now. Along with no AD tied to this job applicants will be average to poor. AD/OC'/Head Baseball probably ends up taking this one. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your last paragraph. I cannot agree that this system used these days is "more competitive". I could possibly go along with you on this IF, all the schools were in the same division. Not 2 divisions. 200 schools in a classification compared to 100 total teams makes it more competitive. This is YOUR logic, not mine. More teams in the playoffs makes it more competitive right? The old system had 200 teams with 32 districts with 2 going. 64 total teams. Now, there are 100 teams, 16 districts and 64 teams going. That's 128 teams out of 200 total. 

No way possible is cutting the total pool in half and taking the same number of teams MORE competitive. Not even possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, CodeBreaker said:

I agree with your last paragraph. I cannot agree that this system used these days is "more competitive". I could possibly go along with you on this IF, all the schools were in the same division. Not 2 divisions. 200 schools in a classification compared to 100 total teams makes it more competitive. This is YOUR logic, not mine. More teams in the playoffs makes it more competitive right? The old system had 200 teams with 32 districts with 2 going. 64 total teams. Now, there are 100 teams, 16 districts and 64 teams going. That's 128 teams out of 200 total. 

No way possible is cutting the total pool in half and taking the same number of teams MORE competitive. Not even possible. 

I think you are both right to a degree.  mrclean is right when it comes to the later rounds of the playoffs, I think.  You will have some very good teams that wouldn't have made it in to the playoffs in years past that got hot at the right time. (2016 Carthage for example) But when it comes to making the playoffs, theres no way that is more competitive now than years past.  That's why making the playoffs, should not be used as a measuring stick of success, unless you are a team that has not made it for many years.  It definitely does not mean the same thing in 2021 that it meant in 1990.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I think you are both right to a degree.  mrclean is right when it comes to the later rounds of the playoffs, I think.  You will have some very good teams that wouldn't have made it in to the playoffs in years past that got hot at the right time. (2016 Carthage for example) But when it comes to making the playoffs, theres no way that is more competitive now than years past.  That's why making the playoffs, should not be used as a measuring stick of success, unless you are a team that has not made it for many years.  It definitely does not mean the same thing in 2021 that it meant in 1990.

That’s about the jimmy and joes. Some teams have to overachieve to finish 4th. 
 

Now a school like Carthage, Gilmer, Daingerfield, and etc. should not put any stock in just playoff appearances.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

That’s about the jimmy and joes. Some teams have to overachieve to finish 4th. 
 

Now a school like Carthage, Gilmer, Daingerfield, and etc. should not put any stock in just playoff appearances.

I agree with you.  I think maybe I should have said success should be measured differently depending on where you are and what you have to work with.  The district you are in or the kids and support you have may mean 4th place is a dang good year, but at some places making the playoffs don't mean a whole lot.  Or of course, if you are in a 4 team district (something we don't see much on our side of the state).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

I agree with your last paragraph. I cannot agree that this system used these days is "more competitive". I could possibly go along with you on this IF, all the schools were in the same division. Not 2 divisions. 200 schools in a classification compared to 100 total teams makes it more competitive. This is YOUR logic, not mine. More teams in the playoffs makes it more competitive right? The old system had 200 teams with 32 districts with 2 going. 64 total teams. Now, there are 100 teams, 16 districts and 64 teams going. That's 128 teams out of 200 total. 

No way possible is cutting the total pool in half and taking the same number of teams MORE competitive. Not even possible. 

I feel like you misunderstand the term "competitive". I stated its more competitive now not more challenging. The old system benefitted bigger schools that's the reason for the split. Take 4A for example. The number ranges from 500-1200. In the old system schools were playing football with a school over twice its size. Is that competitive or challenging? I don't think anyone would watch a fight of a 100 pound lightweight verses and 200 pound heavyweight and call it "competitive" when the heavyweight wins. The old system also left quality teams out of the playoffs. Heck a district gets swept every year 1-4. Its not the norm, but in the old days those weak districts benefit. 

 

The new system is an even playing field that makes for competitive completion during district, and less good teams getting left out of the playoffs because of district lines. 

 

This conversation has digressed though. Agree to disagree.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 12:06 PM, playactionpass39 said:

Very good point, HFC should be in junior high athletic period making sure those kids are lifting and getting stronger and maybe have some other administrative duties that keep him from being in the classroom.

I almost agree 100% with you on this. Yes, the AD should have less classroom responsibilities for program quality control and development but if you don't have an assistant coach that is efficiently and effectively running jr high athletics/off season to mirror varsity's then you're not doing your job or some other factor has your hands tied and don't have a quality coaching staff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2021 at 9:28 AM, mrclean69 said:

I feel like you misunderstand the term "competitive". I stated its more competitive now not more challenging. The old system benefitted bigger schools that's the reason for the split. Take 4A for example. The number ranges from 500-1200. In the old system schools were playing football with a school over twice its size. Is that competitive or challenging? I don't think anyone would watch a fight of a 100 pound lightweight verses and 200 pound heavyweight and call it "competitive" when the heavyweight wins. The old system also left quality teams out of the playoffs. Heck a district gets swept every year 1-4. Its not the norm, but in the old days those weak districts benefit. 

 

The new system is an even playing field that makes for competitive completion during district, and less good teams getting left out of the playoffs because of district lines. 

 

This conversation has digressed though. Agree to disagree.

No misunderstanding here. I'll give you this. Yes, it's more competitive b/c you took the total entries and cut it in half and included everyone. I agree - this makes it more competitive......but "understand" this. The quality of playoff teams has dropped. More lesser teams in the tournament has lowered the quality of teams. So yeah, you are right. It's much more competitive because the entire thing is watered down. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CodeBreaker said:

No misunderstanding here. I'll give you this. Yes, it's more competitive b/c you took the total entries and cut it in half and included everyone. I agree - this makes it more competitive......but "understand" this. The quality of playoff teams has dropped. More lesser teams in the tournament has lowered the quality of teams. So yeah, you are right. It's much more competitive because the entire thing is watered down. 

Not going to argue with you, because in many cases you are correct. But, I will bring up the 2019 Huntsville Hornets as an example of a 4th seed making a nice run and beating a couple of #1 seed on the way. Injuries and in some cases, Districts that are very deep, are examples of teams where if you only took 2 or even 3 teams, the best teams are not in the tournament. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

No hostility or animosity toward you and no arguing. I find this kind of conversation to be quite fun/entertaining. 

Here's what I think a lot of folks miss. You are validating the quality of a team by how far they get in the playoffs and if they beat a higher seeded team than what's expected. Anyone, including you, have to use the "exceptions" to the rule rather than what is typical and most times, overwhelmingly predictably right. 

Here's another MAJOR flaw in what I see in your argument. The "exceptions" most times, not all times, are created by the reality they are playing teams that should NOT be there in the first place. It creates a scenario that would otherwise not exist. Seriously, If a team has to fight 3 weeks long through nothing but District Champions and Runner Ups, then what's the likelihood of pulling off that unbelievable, most times not achievable upset that makes your point? It's slim to none. 

You remove, in theory, HALF of the best teams. You replace them with 3rds and 4ths. How in the world can you think this is "including" the best teams?

Your 2019 Huntsville Hornets example wouldn't even exist EVEN IF you allowed Huntsville to replace a 2nd place team and go from there. Why? Because the brackets would e totally different. You never ran into a district opponent in round three. It took you 4 rounds to meet your district again. THIS is watering down the system and making it less diverse. Your Huntsville Team beat a District Champ with 3 losses, beat a 5-5 Team and then lost in the 3rd round. 3rd round in a system that is HALF 3rds and 4ths at the district level just isn't extremely "accomplished" in my opinion. 

I understand where you are coming from in the "competitive" sense. Since they cut the Classes into 2 divisions, I think it would be awesome to eliminate 1 round and only take 2 from each district. It would actually be more "Competitive".

Please, having success in a more watered down system does NOT make you one of the better teams in the state. It makes you competitive in a watered down system. 

Cheerio!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...