Universal Background Checks

Hagar

3 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Actually happens all the time.  The TEA commissioner was never an educator. Betsy DeVos certainly wasn't, and most of those who weigh in on laws aren't, sadly. But, being concerned about gun SAFETY shouldn't require someone to be knowledgeable about every gun known to mankind, right? 

My initial question is on your use of hunting rifles, but you didn’t mention ARs. My question was would you ban ARs even though they are hunting rifles? And yes, taking peoples rights away should require a certain amount of knowledge of the subject.

6 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Actually happens all the time.  The TEA commissioner was never an educator. Betsy DeVos certainly wasn't, and most of those who weigh in on laws aren't, sadly. But, being concerned about gun SAFETY shouldn't require someone to be knowledgeable about every gun known to mankind, right? 

They should at least know the difference in automatic and semi auto.    They should also know what holds the cartridges are called.  What a gun looks like shouldn’t have any bearing on the laws.  Functionality is where they should educate themselves.  

6 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

That's kind of the point, though. I mean, one doesn't have to be an expert in every subject taught to want quality in education, right? There's a similar parallel.

To use dialogue from "The Big Bang Theory", where Stuart and Sheldon are discussing who the next Batman would be:

Stuart: "Oh, Sheldon. You couldn't be more wrong."
Sheldon: "More wrong? Wrong is an absolute and not subject to gradation."
Stuart: "Of course it is! It's a little wrong to say a tomato is a vegetable, it's very wrong to say it's a suspension bridge."

You'd want people who are up on effective teaching techniques (i.e. what works and what doesn't) making the laws. Right?

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

They should at least know the difference in automatic and semi auto.    They should also know what holds the cartridges are called.  What a gun looks like shouldn’t have any bearing on the laws.  Functionality is where they should educate themselves.  

This. I think a lot of them don't realize that most pistols in this country that people have are also semi-automatic.

2 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

This. I think a lot of them don't realize that most pistols in this country that people have are also semi-automatic.

Most folks you see on TV talking about “assault Rifles” don’t understand what they are.  

ive asked one liberal here if he knew what the “AR” stood for.  Since he’s avoided the question for a month, I assume he didn’t know.  

20 hours ago, Unashamed said:

The founding fathers wouldn't have passed your test.  America was founded by classical liberals.  

They weren't the anti-American radical communist liberal loons of today .... 

Edited by KirtFalcon
yo mama

On 4/13/2021 at 10:17 AM, BarryLaverty said:

I don't want those who have protective orders against them to be able to possess a gun. I don't want those on the no-fly or terrorist watch list able to purchase weapons. I believe if you have certain diagnosed mental illness that there should be restrictions on you. I think those who are convicted of violent offenses should have their gun rights forfeited. I also think the Brady Bill should be re-enacted and that there should be an age limit on all gun possession, with the exception of hunting rifles. Don't try to whip out your knowledge on me of different acronyms or firepower, and I don't need to know how large your arsenal is. 
There, I contributed. 

Yet you're okay with them voting without an ID.  Voting can have far worse ramifications on people than even owning a gun.  You think it was with Trump, I think it was with Carter, Obama, and Biden.