Aledo High School

Coach Rab

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/education/aledo-isd-says-students-pretended-to-auction-black-classmates-in-social-media-group/287-9bf7d293-b3d8-445b-ac80-45ed59cafc5a

News coming out that most of the freshman baseball team has been suspended/assigned to DAEP for this incident as well. 

Keep it clean once this becomes political over "high school talk" I will move it to the political forum.

36 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

Well that's disgusting.  The ignorance and stupidity of kids (and some parents) will never cease to amaze me.  

It was kept mostly quiet until yesterday by AISD.  There have also been sexual misconduct among other things that the school board has swept under the rug according to a lot of parents in Aledo.  I don't engage with any of it since I only live there.  My kids are in the elementary.  But I can tell you from my dealings with AISD administration that it has been mostly horrible underreaction to behavioral issues, especially when it comes to a certain top 10% income.

2 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It was kept mostly quiet until yesterday by AISD.  There have also been sexual misconduct among other things that the school board has swept under the rug according to a lot of parents in Aledo.  I don't engage with any of it since I only live there.  My kids are in the elementary.  But I can tell you from my dealings with AISD administration that it has been mostly horrible underreaction to behavioral issues, especially when it comes to a certain top 10% income.

I wish I could say that didn't sound like things I've seen and heard about in other schools and districts, but I cannot say that... 

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

I wish I could say that didn't sound like things I've seen and heard about in other schools and districts, but I cannot say that... 

Yep.  Affluence plays a huge role in Aledo ISD...  especially when it hits the high school level.  I had a state representative's daughter that was at AHS, then moved here to Mineral Wells, tell me that the "Game of Thrones" in Aledo HS is all about showing how much more you have than the other kids.  And the worst part is that I can see the parents who love joining in and excluding students.  They refuse to let it naturally happen (cliques), and instead force themselves and their children into a certain group of affluence.  It's insanity.

It starts at home.  The school is definitely complicit with their lack of discipline for past incidents, but this behavior is learned or tolerated at the home.  The parents may not be "racists", but they clearly believe they are different than other people because of their skin color or their affluence.  Really sad that these things occur.

26 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Yep.  Affluence plays a huge role in Aledo ISD...  especially when it hits the high school level.  I had a state representative's daughter that was at AHS, then moved here to Mineral Wells, tell me that the "Game of Thrones" in Aledo HS is all about showing how much more you have than the other kids.  And the worst part is that I can see the parents who love joining in and excluding students.  They refuse to let it naturally happen (cliques), and instead force themselves and their children into a certain group of affluence.  It's insanity.

That is rough.  Funny you made the Game of Thrones reference because it seems like for many kids and parents alike, high school really is exactly that cutthroat.  It's sad but true.  

56 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

School board swept under rug. Sounds familiar. 

18 hours ago, JBizzle said:

It starts at home.  The school is definitely complicit with their lack of discipline for past incidents, but this behavior is learned or tolerated at the home.  The parents may not be "racists", but they clearly believe they are different than other people because of their skin color or their affluence.  Really sad that these things occur.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Wow those parents are not doing their part. Absolutely no place for that type of behavior.

You act as though all parents are good people.......acknowledging that there are just bad people out there would save people a lot of time in questioning some of these stupid acts.

The kicker with the affluence is they really ain’t that rich. They don’t have SLC money, they have Parker county money. $100k a year job puts you in the top 10% of affluence in Parker county. And as already mentioned this is taught at home, it’s what kids hear at home. Kids absorb what they hear at home and when they’re at school that racism comes out. But in no way is this an Aledo ISD problem it’s a kid raising problem.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2021 at 2:22 PM, MavGrad99 said:

I always say racism gets confused with classism.  

On 4/13/2021 at 2:28 PM, JBizzle said:

Not making excuses for this because their are no excuses.  

Kids with rich parents don't have it easy either.  Their parents work sun up to sundown.  Their job makes them rich takes a lot out of them.  So the little time the parents spend with their kids , they don't want to discipline them.  Plus, they tend to give their kids credit cards to make up for them not being there.  

Poor, in wealth, parents have to work multiple jobs , and therefor spend little time with their kids.  That results is a not so great outcome.  

7 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

I always say racism gets confused with classism.  

You would be wrong in this case.  Naming the group “N—r Slave Trade” is racist by probable affluent teenagers.

12 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

Not making excuses for this because their are no excuses.  

Kids with rich parents don't have it easy either.  Their parents work sun up to sundown.  Their job makes them rich takes a lot out of them.  So the little time the parents spend with their kids , they don't want to discipline them.  Plus, they tend to give their kids credit cards to make up for them not being there.  

Poor, in wealth, parents have to work multiple jobs , and therefor spend little time with their kids.  That results is a not so great outcome.  

I understand that time is at a premium.  I have a full time job, as does my wife.  As a parent you have to make quality time with your kids a priority.  I don't care if you WANT to discipline your kids.  It's your job.  You are charged with raising them up in the way they will go. That means correcting them when they are wrong because you love them.  What is discussed in that article, is a learned behavior.  They weren't born thinking someone is less than them because of their skin color.  If it's not learned at home, it's tolerated at home.  We do not do our children any favors by letting behavior slide because we don't want them to think we are the bad guy.  It is entirely possible to correct with love.  I'm no expert.  I'm not perfect and neither are my kids, but it's not going to be because I was afraid to discipline them when they are acting inappropriate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

I understand that time is at a premium.  I have a full time job, as does my wife.  As a parent you have to make quality time with your kids a priority.  I don't care if you WANT to discipline your kids.  It's your job.  You are charged with raising them up in the way they will go. That means correcting them when they are wrong because you love them.  What is discussed in that article, is a learned behavior.  They weren't born thinking someone is less than them because of their skin color.  If it's not learned at home, it's tolerated at home.  We do not do our children any favors by letting behavior slide because we don't want them to think we are the bad guy.  It is entirely possible to correct with love.  I'm no expert.  I'm not perfect and neither are my kids, but it's not going to be because I was afraid to discipline them when they are acting inappropriate.

Great post JBizzle, respect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1