Aledo High School

Coach Rab

2 hours ago, JBizzle said:

I understand that time is at a premium.  I have a full time job, as does my wife.  As a parent you have to make quality time with your kids a priority.  I don't care if you WANT to discipline your kids.  It's your job.  You are charged with raising them up in the way they will go. That means correcting them when they are wrong because you love them.  What is discussed in that article, is a learned behavior.  They weren't born thinking someone is less than them because of their skin color.  If it's not learned at home, it's tolerated at home.  We do not do our children any favors by letting behavior slide because we don't want them to think we are the bad guy.  It is entirely possible to correct with love.  I'm no expert.  I'm not perfect and neither are my kids, but it's not going to be because I was afraid to discipline them when they are acting inappropriate.

Well said, and my Lord, this ought to resonate with all of us who are fathers (and mothers). I've got three little boys, and I absolutely loath disciplining them, and I try really, really hard not to discipline them for discipline sake, but to make sure to teach them in those moments as well. It's hard, and so many times I feel like I get it wrong. But you've got to keep going. And I reiterate to my boys every single time I discipline them that I love them, and that it's BECAUSE I love them, and I care about the men they'll become, that I discipline them at all.

I'll never forget my sophomore year, in the midst of Celina's big win streak, Coach Butch Ford talking to all of us and saying (and I'm paraphrasing) "We're (coaches) gonna get after you and holler at you, and you ought to be tickled to death, because that means we care about you and about whether or not you're doing the right thing, and we care about making you better. If we stop hollering at you, you ought to be concerned, because that probably means we've given up on you."

• Like 5

11 hours ago, JBizzle said:

I understand that time is at a premium.  I have a full time job, as does my wife.  As a parent you have to make quality time with your kids a priority.  I don't care if you WANT to discipline your kids.  It's your job.  You are charged with raising them up in the way they will go. That means correcting them when they are wrong because you love them.  What is discussed in that article, is a learned behavior.  They weren't born thinking someone is less than them because of their skin color.  If it's not learned at home, it's tolerated at home.  We do not do our children any favors by letting behavior slide because we don't want them to think we are the bad guy.  It is entirely possible to correct with love.  I'm no expert.  I'm not perfect and neither are my kids, but it's not going to be because I was afraid to discipline them when they are acting inappropriate.

I 100% agree with this, but unfortunately more and more don't.