Day In The Life of A Person Of Color?

BarryLaverty

33 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Things most of us never have to think about...

May be an image of text

Oversimplification.

Of course those are issues. I will not argue that. But Daunte Wright's tragic death wasn't simply because he was driving a car with out of date registration and a police officer overreacted. And the police did overreact there. He already had a rap sheet, and attempted to flee police. If he didn't have a rap sheet, and didn't attempt to flee, what do you think would have happened? He would have been cited and sent on his way. The police definitely overreacted in the Lt. Nazario case. I think I've been clear about that.

Tell the whole story. I don't even know the public transit one (hadn't heard it, what happened there?), but many, many POCs take public transit every day without incident. Many POCs drive every day without incident. Many POCs do many of those things every day -- without incident.

Not a defense, just additional context.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JETT said:

Don't plan on going anywhere, but I won't be silent on all the BS that the very ppl on this board try to defend each day...

Sound, civil debate is what our country is supposed to be founded on. You've made me defend positions from time to time. As long as we do it in a civil manner, I'm cool. Might give us a better understanding of each other.

9 minutes ago, Old49er60 said:

Just a question, see so many people who after an incident say look at the rap sheet. How does anyone know about the rap sheet in those situations? How did the guys who jumped out of the truck know about the rap sheet? Floyd and his rap sheet? 

On Wright, might not be a popular opinion but the rap sheet has nothing to do with it, his choice to flee does. 

I would guess a couple of things. If the police have already run the id/whatever info, they may know. If they haven't, that's a different story. I would assume the guys in the Arbury case didn't know anything about whether or not he had a criminal record. The others I cannot comment on with any authority because I have no real information about who knew what, and when.

9 minutes ago, Old49er60 said:

No that is what I am meaning. On Wright, they knew, hence why he was getting arrested. On many of others they did not. I have seen so many bring up THE JOGGER and his record, but those guys knew none of that. When they were calling him the N word, they didnt know his record. I just do not understand the rap sheet thing because in many of these they did not know anything about them till after. 

Yeah, I get your point. Those guys for sure didn't know Mr. Arbury's criminal record.