TikTok Bartender Doesn't Understand Minimum Wage or Taxes!

Monte1076

She's just an idiot, but many servers are like this in their thinking on how much they make overall.  She must be a bad server/bartender if she made only $700 in two weeks.  I actually think they should teach students how to do their taxes, but those classes are only offered as an elective.  I took the class in High School, and it was called Consumer Math then.  Filing your own taxes is easy to do even now in my opinion.  Some people just want to blame someone other than themselves.  

3 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

She's just an idiot, but many servers are like this in their thinking on how much they make overall.  She must be a bad server/bartender if she made only $700 in two weeks.  I actually think they should teach students how to do their taxes, but those classes are only offered as an elective.  I took the class in High School, and it was called Consumer Math then.  Filing your own taxes is easy to do even now in my opinion.  Some people just want to blame someone other than themselves.  

Those folks are called Democrats, Dave...😜🤨

• LOL! 1

20 hours ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Those folks are called Democrats, Dave...😜🤨

If these waiters and bartenders thought their taxes went up under Trump, they're really going to hate Biden, because they're going up again.  Obama took away the automatic gratuity for large parties which was a shame.  Large parties should realize that they are more difficult to take care of, especially if they have separate checks, and then the various wants and needs of some of the guests at one time.  

2 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

If these waiters and bartenders thought their taxes went up under Trump, they're really going to hate Biden, because they're going up again.  Obama took away the automatic gratuity for large parties which was a shame.  Large parties should realize that they are more difficult to take care of, especially if they have separate checks, and then the various wants and needs of some of the guests at one time.  

Creepy Joe is going to tax us all blind.

21 hours ago, BlahBlah said:

Bat tenders and servers don't report their cash tips usually.  

They should, because if you get audited, the I.R.S. will come down hard on you.  I keep track of my tips, but I don't add them until the next year for not only tax purposes, but my vacation pay is related to the tips that I make.  My company does it on a 6 week average before your anniversary date.  While that may not be legit for my anniversary pay, at least the I.R.S. knows what I'm making and they're getting extra taxes from me, because of that increased pay check.  

22 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

They should, because if you get audited, the I.R.S. will come down hard on you.  I keep track of my tips, but I don't add them until the next year for not only tax purposes, but my vacation pay is related to the tips that I make.  My company does it on a 6 week average before your anniversary date.  While that may not be legit for my anniversary pay, at least the I.R.S. knows what I'm making and they're getting extra taxes from me, because of that increased pay check.  

I know they should, but they don't.  Servers usually report their 2.15 an hour wage, and their credit card tips to the IRS.  Most servers don't think they will get caught.  

38 minutes ago, BlahBlah said:

I know they should, but they don't.  Servers usually report their 2.15 an hour wage, and their credit card tips to the IRS.  Most servers don't think they will get caught.  

I've had some guests tell me it's a gift, and not a tip.  Which in essence they could write off on their taxes, because you can give any individual up to $10,000 a year without it being taxed as a gift, anything over it has to be reported.  I still count those as taxable income.  While the I.R.S. might not count it in an audit, I don't want to take that chance.  

On 4/25/2021 at 6:46 PM, DaveTV1 said:

They may have taken it away legally but I know for a fact that it is still being used for parties that number more than 6 to 8 it is automatically added to the ticket. 

3 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I've had some guests tell me it's a gift, and not a tip.  Which in essence they could write off on their taxes, because you can give any individual up to $10,000 a year without it being taxed as a gift, anything over it has to be reported.  I still count those as taxable income.  While the I.R.S. might not count it in an audit, I don't want to take that chance.  

They need a letter specifically saying it’s a gift for that to work. 

it doesn’t really matter cause the IRS won’t audit a server. Or any employees mostly. Owners of businesses are the audit receivers with some exceptions.

50 minutes ago, Wild74 said:

They may have taken it away legally but I know for a fact that it is still being used for parties that number more than 6 to 8 it is automatically added to the ticket. 

Most places don't because the grat had to be added in differently, and it was a headache to some accountants.  https://www.paychex.com/articles/payroll-taxes/how-irs-automatic-gratuity-ruling-impacts-restaurants-and-employees .  

31 minutes ago, Youngcoach123 said:

it doesn’t really matter cause the IRS won’t audit a server. Or any employees mostly. Owners of businesses are the audit receivers with some exceptions.

I've heard of it happening with some, and I'm not taking that chance.