2021 SFA Basketball

RonSwanson

Going to the WAC!  Should be a great move. I’m hearing that at least three seniors are returning for another year. Signed a top player out of Louisiana, Derick Tezeno and signed a Kansas point guard that was in the portal. Could be a great year! 

• Like 1

So many moving parts to this offseason. With the extra year of eligibility, it is kind of the wild west out there. SFA looks to benefit as it SOUNDS like David Kachelries, Roti Ware, and Gavin Kensmil are all coming back for another year. Cam Johnson said he is going closer to home, but is now posting about offers from Nevada soooo...Verbal Commits has Charlie Daniels as a transfer as well, but I can't and haven't heard anything on that one. 

Regardless, this team is going to be good, and apparently we had a zoom visit with another big recruit yesterday. Would be nice to snag another big for depth purposes, but if the seniors stay, this will be a VERY good team next year. Not to mention the new practice facility will be opening and will be a boost for the players and recruiting.

Returning:

Jaylin Posey
Nigel Hawkins
Calvin Solomon
Nana Antwi-Boasiako

Transferring Out:

Kahree McDaniels
Demiere Brown
Cameron Johnson
Charlie Daniels

Transferring In:

Latrell Jossell - Kansas
Sadaidriene Hall (Sulphur Springs native) - East Tennessee State

Signed:

Derrick Tezeno (#1 player in Louisiana)

Seniors With Option To Return:

David Kachelries
Roti Ware
Gavin Kensmil

9 hours ago, topher805 said:

So many moving parts to this offseason. With the extra year of eligibility, it is kind of the wild west out there. SFA looks to benefit as it SOUNDS like David Kachelries, Roti Ware, and Gavin Kensmil are all coming back for another year. Cam Johnson said he is going closer to home, but is now posting about offers from Nevada soooo...Verbal Commits has Charlie Daniels as a transfer as well, but I can't and haven't heard anything on that one. 

Regardless, this team is going to be good, and apparently we had a zoom visit with another big recruit yesterday. Would be nice to snag another big for depth purposes, but if the seniors stay, this will be a VERY good team next year. Not to mention the new practice facility will be opening and will be a boost for the players and recruiting.

Returning:

Jaylin Posey
Nigel Hawkins
Calvin Solomon
Nana Antwi-Boasiako

Transferring Out:

Kahree McDaniels
Demiere Brown
Cameron Johnson
Charlie Daniels

Transferring In:

Latrell Jossell - Kansas
Sadaidriene Hall (Sulphur Springs native) - East Tennessee State

Signed:

Derrick Tezeno (#1 player in Louisiana)

Seniors With Option To Return:

David Kachelries
Roti Ware
Gavin Kensmil

Has Jules Moor signed yet? 

1 hour ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Just out of curiosity is the WAC more difficult? I don’t know who is in it without looking up. Sfa made the most of it in basketball. I assume the facility is coming along as well. Hopefully the jacks become a routine player . 

I believe the WAC will be better overall. Especially since SFA, Sam, ACU and Lamar will join an already competitive conference. The WAC has better fan attendance over all than the Southland. New Mexico State has been the SFA of that conference I think. Also Grand Canyon  should be very good... Maybe someone with better knowledge than me can comment further. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RonSwanson said:

I believe the WAC will be better overall. Especially since SFA, Sam, ACU and Lamar will join an already competitive conference. The WAC has better fan attendance over all than the Southland. New Mexico State has been the SFA of that conference I think. Also Grand Canyon  should be very good... Maybe someone with better knowledge than me can comment further. 

Pretty dead on. It has been a one man show for a while, with New Mexico State running things. Grand Canyon finally made the leap everyone has been waiting for last season. Seattle will be good next year, but not sure what their future looks like (If it is even in the WAC). 

NMSU, SFA, GCU, Sam, and ACU will be the cream of the conference next year. Lamar made a good coaching hire, but lost a lot of key players to the transfer portal. I don't think it happens next year, but I do think the WAC can become a multi-bid league. Non-conference scheduling should get better for these schools and the quality of play in conference will also increase. 

Other sports are another discussion (Not a bad one), but for basketball purposes this is a great move for everyone involved.

SFA MBB tweeted out a commitment from Jonathan Aku (Texas A&M), but deleted the tweet a minute later. Dude was a 4* (#149 player in country) out of high school and is listed as 6'10" and 260 lbs. Underwhelming at A&M, but a chance at a new start...Hope this commitment holds. Could be huge.

40 minutes ago, topher805 said:

SFA MBB tweeted out a commitment from Jonathan Aku (Texas A&M), but deleted the tweet a minute later. Dude was a 4* (#149 player in country) out of high school and is listed as 6'10" and 260 lbs. Underwhelming at A&M, but a chance at a new start...Hope this commitment holds. Could be huge.

For several years I have said if the Jacks could get a serviceable 6’9” or 6’10” guy with a little bulk, they would be a top 30 team most years. 
Not all world, just a 10 points and 10 rebounds type guy with a couple of blocks a game would work.  
Maybe Aku could fill that roll. 

1 hour ago, cotton84 said:

For several years I have said if the Jacks could get a serviceable 6’9” or 6’10” guy with a little bulk, they would be a top 30 team most years. 
Not all world, just a 10 points and 10 rebounds type guy with a couple of blocks a game would work.  
Maybe Aku could fill that roll. 

Apparently he doesn't like offense too much and prefers defense. Will have to coach him up some there, but glad to know he is already bought into the system...

• 2 weeks later...

This roster is deep...Looking to sign one more supposedly

G - David Kachelries
G - Roti Ware
G - Nigel Hawkins
G - Jaylin Posey
G - Latrell Jossell
G/F - Derrick Tezeno 
G/F - DeeDee Hall
G/F - Jules Moor 

F - Calvin Solomon
F - Gavin Kensmil
C - Jonathan Aku
C - Nana Antwi-Boasiako

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, topher805 said:

Wade Mason to Georgia...

So we have lost Associate HC (UTEP), Assistant Coach (Georgia), Video Coordinator (Tyler Legacy), and Head Trainer (IMG Academy)...

The quality of the coaches that have come through SFA the last 2 coaching staffs is impressive. From underwoods staff you have the OK State head coach, an assistant at Illinois and an assistant at Florida that I know of. 

1 hour ago, villagegenius said:

The quality of the coaches that have come through SFA the last 2 coaching staffs is impressive. From underwoods staff you have the OK State head coach, an assistant at Illinois and an assistant at Florida that I know of. 

The quality of coaches has been amazing. Many of the players have moved on to become high level coaches as well. Desmond Haymon is now an assistant at Louisiana Tech. 

IF Keller were to ever leave, Pastrana at Florida is a name I would reach out to...Mason and Cox as well...

• Like 1