CFP Expansion

Stoney

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Champs of the Power 5 schools, 2 at large, 1 best of the G5 schools. 

All 10 conference champs get in, round out the seeding with 6 at-large. Use mediocre bowls as playoff games. 

I'd spring for tickets to an Independence Bowl playoff game if it meant I got to see #3-seed OU beat the piss out of #16-seed Coastal Carolina. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

What 10 conference champs?

AAC, ACC, Big XII, Big Ten, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Pac 12, SEC, and Sun Belt. Ten conference champs, six at-large bids. The at-large bids can all be runner-up Power 5 schools for all I care. Also don't care how you seed them, because in a "true" playoff it won't matter.

The first time a #16-seed MAC champ whips a #1-seed SEC champ it'll be worth it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, LOL said:

AAC, ACC, Big XII, Big Ten, CUSA, MAC, MWC, Pac 12, SEC, and Sun Belt. Ten conference champs, six at-large bids. The at-large bids can all be runner-up Power 5 schools for all I care. Also don't care how you seed them, because in a "true" playoff it won't matter.

The first time a #16-seed MAC champ whips a #1-seed SEC champ it'll be worth it. 

What about the WAC?  Southland?

you can’t include the Mac, but exclude them!!!  

there’s very few teams outside the p5 that would ever deserve a shot.  Going that deep is dumb.  

Just now, DB2point0 said:

there’s very few teams outside the p5 that would ever deserve a shot.  Going that deep is dumb.  

I agree. Just because one team every 20 years is capable of pulling of an upset doesn't mean they should get a yearly shot. Just give the mid majors their own championship and be done with all this silly argument. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

FCS. We already have a playoff system that determines a true national champion...Don't drag us into that drama

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2021 at 1:41 PM, LOL said:

I have been proposing that for decades .... 16 is the perfect number .... 8 leaves out too many conferences  ...  no conference champ should be arbitrarily ruled out be some biased committee  .... 16 team playoff is it .... it's done and settled .....

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I have been proposing that for decades .... 16 is the perfect number .... 8 leaves out too many conferences  ...  no conference champ should be arbitrarily ruled out be some biased committee  .... 16 team playoff is it .... it's done and settled .....

Amen.....

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 2:43 PM, LOL said:

All 10 conference champs get in, round out the seeding with 6 at-large. Use mediocre bowls as playoff games. 

I'd spring for tickets to an Independence Bowl playoff game if it meant I got to see #3-seed OU beat the out of #16-seed Coastal Carolina. 

There are enough bowl games--I think 42, that you could have a 32 team playoff. I agree that you use the lower bowl games for playoffs. 

Imagine in a playoff system, the Sun Bowl, which very rarely sells out, that Arizona and LSU were playing in it. That would provide a packed house. Actually a playoff system like you recommend would probably save the Bowl System and provide more economic stimulus for the area, than forcing the schools to pay out for unsold tickets. Look at the Basketball playoffs--except for this COVID year, they are always packed--and make about a billion dollars a year. Football would do much better. 

Cut the regular season down to 10-11 games, then have your playoffs. And one more thing might come from it--conferences might become smaller to get the automatic bids. Instead of these super conferences--regional conferences--then playoffs--then a real play in national champion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

There are enough bowl games--I think 42, that you could have a 32 team playoff. I agree that you use the lower bowl games for playoffs. 

Imagine in a playoff system, the Sun Bowl, which very rarely sells out, that Arizona and LSU were playing in it. That would provide a packed house. Actually a playoff system like you recommend would probably save the Bowl System and provide more economic stimulus for the area, than forcing the schools to pay out for unsold tickets. Look at the Basketball playoffs--except for this COVID year, they are always packed--and make about a billion dollars a year. Football would do much better. 

Cut the regular season down to 10-11 games, then have your playoffs. And one more thing might come from it--conferences might become smaller to get the automatic bids. Instead of these super conferences--regional conferences--then playoffs--then a real play in national champion. 

Exactly. 

Look...  I'm an OU alum, and I actually donate to the university. It's not much (and mostly to the rugby team), but I also keep my family stocked in Sooner gear, and (pre-COVID) I always make sure to attend a couple Sooner games each year.

The point is: I'm not a big money donor by any stretch of the imagination. Totally middle-of-the-road, financially speaking. BUT, you can believe I'd tighten my belt to make multiple OU playoff games, at least in the early rounds. Like I said earlier: 

On 4/28/2021 at 2:43 PM, LOL said:

I'd spring for tickets to an Independence Bowl playoff game if it meant I got to see #3-seed OU beat the piss out of #16-seed Coastal Carolina. 

How do people not see what a lucrative opportunity a true playoff would be for big-time college football? I have plenty of college buddies who would have no problem dropping a couple G's to follow the team all the way through the post-season. PLUS, it would open up a revenue stream to all those blue collar Sooner fans (like my in-laws) who can't afford to travel to Miami, Pasadena, Atlanta, or Glendale, BUT could certainly attend the early round games in Shreveport, Arlington, or New Orleans. 

• Like 1

I hear ya brother, I have driven by the Independence bowl several times while it is being played, and a couple of times, entered for free after halftime. And you could still get another 10,000 people in there, even when La Tech was playing in the bowl game. Bowl committees are the real problem, I am betting that these guys make tons of dough under the table, and they know they will be profitable, because each school has to pay for so many tickets, even if they can't sell them all. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_Bowl?scrlybrkr=208e4088--I know that it is Wikipedia, but a lot of the information is pretty true from other sites also. 

63,000 capacity--

December 26, 2016 NC State 41 Vanderbilt 17 28,995 notes
December 27, 2017 Florida State 42 Southern Miss 13 33,601 notes
December 27, 2018 Duke 56 Temple 27 27,492 notes
December 26, 2019 Louisiana Tech 14 Miami (FL) 0 33,129 notes

December 28, 1997 No. 15 LSU 27 Notre Dame 9 50,459 notes

The largest crowd ever--at that time the stadium had not been expanded. 

As we both have stated--there would be lines of people waiting to get into a playoff game there that would feature U of Texas v U of Tennessee in a 2 round game. 

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 8:55 AM, LOL said:

Exactly. 

Look...  I'm an OU alum, and I actually donate to the university. It's not much (and mostly to the rugby team), but I also keep my family stocked in Sooner gear, and (pre-COVID) I always make sure to attend a couple Sooner games each year.

The point is: I'm not a big money donor by any stretch of the imagination. Totally middle-of-the-road, financially speaking. BUT, you can believe I'd tighten my belt to make multiple OU playoff games, at least in the early rounds. Like I said earlier: 

How do people not see what a lucrative opportunity a true playoff would be for big-time college football? I have plenty of college buddies who would have no problem dropping a couple G's to follow the team all the way through the post-season. PLUS, it would open up a revenue stream to all those blue collar Sooner fans (like my in-laws) who can't afford to travel to Miami, Pasadena, Atlanta, or Glendale, BUT could certainly attend the early round games in Shreveport, Arlington, or New Orleans. 

Problem here I think is the cheaper bowls wouldn’t be cheap anymore.  They’re cheap for a reason, nobody wants to see 6-6 Arizona vs 7-5 Purdue in Fort Worth.  But when you put big12 runner up OU (😉) against conference champ UNT that ticket went from $35 to $450.  Blue collar no more.  The more they mean, the more they cost

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Problem here I think is the cheaper bowls wouldn’t be cheap anymore.  They’re cheap for a reason, nobody wants to see 6-6 Arizona vs 7-5 Purdue in Fort Worth.  But when you put big12 runner up OU (😉) against conference champ UNT that ticket went from $35 to $450.  Blue collar no more.  The more they mean, the more they cost

I think that's a huge exaggeration ....

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Sure. I mean, obviously there will be some markup as a result of these lousy bowls suddenly becoming important, but I do not think the markup is near what you're suggesting. 

But even if the tickets suddenly do becoming a hot item, so too will the media attention/coverage. Which means Joe Six-Pack can enjoy the game in the comfort of his double-wide, which then means more ad revenue and more hype. Again: it's a win-win.

I really don't see why anyone is fighting this. There's literally no downside. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, LOL said:

Sure. I mean, obviously there will be some markup as a result of these lousy bowls suddenly becoming important, but I do not think the markup is near what you're suggesting. 

But even if the tickets suddenly do becoming a hot item, so too will the media attention/coverage. Which means Joe Six-Pack can enjoy the game in the comfort of his double-wide, which then means more ad revenue and more hype. Again: it's a win-win.

I really don't see why anyone is fighting this. There's literally no downside. 

but, but...They are STUDENT-athletes. wHaT iF tHeY mIsS cLaSs

• LOL! 1

In 2019-2020--Here are the names of all the bowl games played--last year of full bowl schedule. 40 Bowl Games, this is the Soccer Trophy mentally for the NCAA, where the NCAA actually makes money, while most schools lose money on these trips. And this past year we had the Myrtle Beach Bowl and maybe another one, but several of those below got canceled because not enough teams played this season. 

2019-2020 Bowl Games
1 Bahamas Bowl 21 Frisco Bowl
2 Celebration Bowl 22 Cure Bowl
3 Boca Raton Bowl 23 Camellia Bowl
4 Las Vegas Bowl 24 New Orleans Bowl
5 Gasparilla Bowl 25 Hawaii Bowl
6 Independence Bowl 26 Quick Loan Bowl
7 Military Bowl 27 Pinstripe Bowl
8 Texas Bowl 28 Holiday Bowl
9 Cheez It Bowl 29 Camping World Bowl
10 Cotton Bowl 30 Fiesta Bowl
11 Peach Bowl 31 1st Responders Bowl