CFP Expansion

Stoney

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

In 2019-2020--Here are the names of all the bowl games played--last year of full bowl schedule. 40 Bowl Games, this is the Soccer Trophy mentally for the NCAA, where the NCAA actually makes money, while most schools lose money on these trips. And this past year we had the Myrtle Beach Bowl and maybe another one, but several of those below got canceled because not enough teams played this season. 

2019-2020 Bowl Games
1 Bahamas Bowl 21 Frisco Bowl
2 Celebration Bowl 22 Cure Bowl
3 Boca Raton Bowl 23 Camellia Bowl
4 Las Vegas Bowl 24 New Orleans Bowl
5 Gasparilla Bowl 25 Hawaii Bowl
6 Independence Bowl 26 Quick Loan Bowl
7 Military Bowl 27 Pinstripe Bowl
8 Texas Bowl 28 Holiday Bowl
9 Cheez It Bowl 29 Camping World Bowl
10 Cotton Bowl 30 Fiesta Bowl
11 Peach Bowl 31 1st Responders Bowl
12 Music City Bowl 32 Redbox Bowl
13 Orange Bowl 33 Belk Bowl
14 Sun Bowl 34 Liberty Bowl
15 Arizona Bowl 35 Alamo Bowl
16 Citrus Bowl 36 Outback Bowl
17 Rose Bowl 37 Sugar Bowl
18 Birmingham Bowl 38 Gator Bowl
19 Idaho Potato Bowl 39 Armed Services Bowl
20 Lending Tree Bowl 40 National Championship Game

LOL...  ain't nobody paying big money for the "Quick Loan Bowl" or the "Redbox Bowl." 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LOL said:

Sure. I mean, obviously there will be some markup as a result of these lousy bowls suddenly becoming important, but I do not think the markup is near what you're suggesting. 

But even if the tickets suddenly do becoming a hot item, so too will the media attention/coverage. Which means Joe Six-Pack can enjoy the game in the comfort of his double-wide, which then means more ad revenue and more hype. Again: it's a win-win.

I really don't see why anyone is fighting this. There's literally no downside. 

I’m not against a playoff, just think it’s pointless to add all the conferences when they’ll be gimme games.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

I think that's a huge exaggeration ....

I don’t.  It’s called supply and demand. If the sun bowl gets a 6-6 Bama on a down year in their pairing, they’ll sell out at $40-80 tickets.  If they’re 10-0 ranked #1 it’s a sellout regardless of the ticket prices.  Those bowls will adjust prices accordingly to how much they want to make.  

20 years ago I was going through Oxford Mississippi.  Had to stop for the night.  Website for motel 6 said $55/night.  When I walked in the room was $249.  Ole miss had a home game and they sucked.  But they still adjusted the prices due to a home game.  Same principle, the tickets for the cheap bowls will skyrocket

24 minutes ago, LOL said:

LOL...  ain't nobody paying big money for the "Quick Loan Bowl" or the "Redbox Bowl." 

Is redbox still in business with all the streaming services available these days--I figure they had gone extinct like the doodoo bird and Blockbuster video. 

• LOL! 1

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I don’t.  It’s called supply and demand. If the sun bowl gets a 6-6 Bama on a down year in their pairing, they’ll sell out at $40-80 tickets.  If they’re 10-0 ranked #1 it’s a sellout regardless of the ticket prices.  Those bowls will adjust prices accordingly to how much they want to make.  

20 years ago I was going through Oxford Mississippi.  Had to stop for the night.  Website for motel 6 said $55/night.  When I walked in the room was $249.  Ole miss had a home game and they sucked.  But they still adjusted the prices due to a home game.  Same principle, the tickets for the cheap bowls will skyrocket

I'll guarantee you that a 6-6 Alabama team will not sell out the Sun Bowl if they were ever to play there. 

Heck, looking at the stats above--the Independence Bowl--with it's largest crowd did not sell out when LSU played Notre Dame--those 2 schools are famous for their fan following and they couldn't get a complete sell out. But I am going to check that out for sure, to make sure it wasn't a sell out. I'll get back to you soon. 

In the late 1990s, the stadium capacity was expanded from approximately 40,000 to 50,832. In 2005, to meet accommodations of the upcoming Independence Bowl in 2006, the stadium went through a renovation to extend the capacity from 52,000 to 59,000. In 2008, the City of Shreveport created an entire new section of the stadium. This portion would allow the stadium capacity to be expanded only if need be. This expansion would put the total capacity at 63,000.[3] This was part of a grand upgrading plan that improved all aspects of the facility, from concourses to playing surface.

https://www.radiancetechnologiesindependencebowl.com/bowl-history/

We do know that in 1995 the Independence Bowl had its 1st sell out when LSU played Michigan. So depending upon when the stadium upgrades were completed, the LSU-Notre Dame game could have been a sellout--considering that game had the largest crowd, still to this day at 50,459--which would be a little over 300 less than a sellout. But I will give them a sellout for that game. 

I was wrong about sellouts at the Independence Bowl. 

So we keep playing a bowl game, that rarely sells out, so that some college can place winning it, on their letter head. 1997 Independence Bowl Winner--That'll attract some recruits. 

I'd rather tell kids--hey--we, LA Tech, defeated the University of Miami in the 2019 playoffs at the Independence Bowl.--that would get you more recruits. 

58 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’m not against a playoff, just think it’s pointless to add all the conferences when they’ll be gimme games.  

I understand. I disagree, but respect your opinion on the matter. 

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

I'll guarantee you that a 6-6 Alabama team will not sell out the Sun Bowl if they were ever to play there. 

Heck, looking at the stats above--the Independence Bowl--with it's largest crowd did not sell out when LSU played Notre Dame--those 2 schools are famous for their fan following and they couldn't get a complete sell out. But I am going to check that out for sure, to make sure it wasn't a sell out. I'll get back to you soon. 

I was at the ND vs LSU Indy bowl.  It was a packed house

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

What you are missing is these early round bowls will be mostly mismatches ... they won't draw the same as teams in the later rounds and the ticket priced will be reasonable ... many will come just to watch the top team play, but they won't be as high demand as the quarter finals, semi finals and championship game ....

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

What you are missing is these early round bowls will be mostly mismatches ... they won't draw the same as teams in the later rounds and the ticket priced will be reasonable ... many will come just to watch the top team play, but they won't be as high demand as the quarter finals, semi finals and championship game ....

Teams like Texas, OU, Bama, aTm, LSU , etc will fill them.  Texas fills their bowl games even when they ####.  The tix may not go up 4-500%, but they’ll at least double.  Why?  Because those bowls will know they can get it.

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Teams like Texas, OU, Bama, aTm, LSU , etc will fill them.  Texas fills their bowl games even when they ####.  The tix may not go up 4-500%, but they’ll at least double.  Why?  Because those bowls will know they can get it.

That's a good thing, isn't it? ....

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

That's a good thing, isn't it? ....

I guess, the idea was that more blue collar fans could afford to go to games.  I’m not driving 10 hours to watch a game that costs me $700-800 to get into as a family.   It’ll end up being like the RRR.  I’ve always wanted to go, but will not pay  $500+ For a ticket

8 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I guess, the idea was that more blue collar fans could afford to go to games.  I’m not driving 10 hours to watch a game that costs me $700-800 to get into as a family.   It’ll end up being like the RRR.  I’ve always wanted to go, but will not pay  $500+ For a ticket

I still think you are way off base with those ticket prices ... way off ....

Ok, you should watch something other than sfa games every once in a while.

Hang on their brother, don't be talking about the Jacks like that. They played this fall, probably should have went to a bowl game, considering everyone else did. :rofl:

I'm with Kirt on this one. I don't think prices will go up that drastically until you hit the quarterfinals, semifinals, and finals. And if you purchase your tickets from the actual school, don't they have set prices, where they can't increase them? I am just wondering, every bowl game I go to are on company tickets, or after halftime, when they let us in for free, just to people in the stands. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I was at the ND vs LSU Indy bowl.  It was a packed house

That's cool, I was at the game in Baton Rouge earlier that year, I have to say that LSU games are some of my favorites when in Baton Rouge. While I dislike the Aggies, their games have always been a blast also. I'd love to see, in person, Army-Navy, Texas-OU, Florida-FSU, and maybe a Washington-WSU game. I love rivalry games. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Who cares if the prices go up?  LSU and Texas would sell out most bowl venues basically quadrupling the ticket revenue without price gauging

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I saw it mentioned today that the idea being tossed around is 12 teams. Power 5 champs plus highest ranked G5 team get autobids. 6 at large. The teams are ranked and 5-12 play each other with top 4 receiving byes. 

All that being said my question is.... Will this help or hurt the parity in college football? 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I saw it mentioned today that the idea being tossed around is 12 teams. Power 5 champs plus highest ranked G5 team get autobids. 6 at large. The teams are ranked and 5-12 play each other with top 4 receiving byes. 

All that being said my question is.... Will this help or hurt the parity in college football? 

Every movement toward a "pure" playoff is a step in the right direction. The current system is better than than the BCS. The BCS was better than just the polls. 

At some point, it's going to get to a point where conferences will merge and divide and it will be a more of a college football "league." But, for now, 12 teams are better than four. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Love it! 
There will be tons of whippings in early games, but occasionally we’ll get the March madness style upsets, and that would be really fun to watch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LOL said:

Every movement toward a "pure" playoff is a step in the right direction. The current system is better than than the BCS. The BCS was better than just the polls. 

At some point, it's going to get to a point where conferences will merge and divide and it will be a more of a college football "league." But, for now, 12 teams are better than four. 

As long as all conferences are represented  ....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

As long as all conferences are represented  ....

Well all the power 5 in this scenario would be. Not all group of 5. 

But my question isn't what people want in a playoff. I know what you guys want. My question is would it truly give the game more parity? Would we see power more power shifts? Would we just see the same 10-12 teams in the playoffs every year. Would recruiting pick up for certain schools if they know all they have to do is win their conference? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Well all the power 5 in this scenario would be. Not all group of 5. 

But my question isn't what people want in a playoff. I know what you guys want. My question is would it truly give the game more parity? Would we see power more power shifts? Would we just see the same 10-12 teams in the playoffs every year. Would recruiting pick up for certain schools if they know all they have to do is win their conference? 

I'm not as interested in "parity" per se as I am in what's logical and without bias. Yes, the "Power 5" programs are so because of their historical tendency to win. But that standard is wholly exclusive to college football. No other post-season system builds-in this kind of bias into their system. 

That said, I do think that increased "parity" will be a welcome side-effect of a "pure" playoff system.