CFP Expansion

Stoney

Just now, trashyhound said:

I don’t buy the player safety nonsense.

Lower level college has played 16 games for years.

heck, Carthage hs kids play 16 games every single year!  

I'm not saying I agree with it I'm just simply saying there has been tangible statements about it. Whether someone believes it or not is left up to them. Thats vastly different than forming an opinion on the basis of something that's never been said. 

39 minutes ago, WETSU said:

So you do not believe they are "sitting around shaking and discussing it" yet you also believe that they don't want to play because of the risk of upset... Those are conflicting statements. If they are worried of an upset then they clearly also have to be sitting around thinking about this... If they are worried about an upset they are clearly more scared than confident. Does that sound like something that elite coaches normally have? 

I completely understand what you're trying to say. What I don't understand is the conviction of which you're trying to say it with while trying to prove me wrong. How am I supposed to give credence to an idea when there's literally never been any whisper of truth to back it? How am I supposed to just blindly believe that Saban and Dabo are scared of playing BYU just because Kirt says its laughable if I don't? 

We can have different opinions thats fine but you're acting like your belief is the common belief and I just don't think it is. There are many people who will make that statement but I don't know any coaches worth much of anything that would ever not schedule a game against a team they are better than just for fear of an upset. Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't think Dabo or Saban or Fisher or any other title winning coaches are sitting around begging their ADs to make sure they don't vote for a 16 team playoff simply because they are scared of BYU... 

Its far more likely this is about money and finding the right combination of player safety to entertainment value. Those ARE legitimate statements that have been made. Not anything about being scared. 

No, it's  not a conflict at all ... some of the big conference coaches have made statements in the past indicating they don't want an expanded playoff ... although the would never admit the reasons I have said ... I think my reasoning is far more likely than financially .... there is no evidence it would hurt them financially,  to the contrary, I think it would help them financially  ....

7 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

No, it's  not a conflict at all ... some of the big conference coaches have made statements in the past indicating they don't want an expanded playoff ... although the would never admit the reasons I have said ... I think my reasoning is far more likely than financially .... there is no evidence it would hurt them financially,  to the contrary, I think it would help them financially  ....

I believe the financial aspect is not that it would hurt anyone but rather an argument over who gets what amounts. There's also the aspect of TV rights on who gets what games as any time you add these the networks are involved. Its extremely easy for this situation to get cloudy financially. 

If you think that elite coaches are scared is more likely than conference commissioners arguing over revenue shares then I suppose you're entitled to your opinion. 

I think a large part of the apprehension we see from the upper establishment of college football regarding playoff expansion deals with being concerned about it making it more difficult to hang onto their best players long enough to win consistently. Top players are already opting out of “meaningless” bowl games. After the new wears off of an expanded playoff and we keep getting matchups of the same 6-8 teams over and over, how long before future NFL first rounders decide it’s not worth the risk to play 3 more games for nothing when they plan on playing at least 16 games the next season while getting paid millions? The big time coaches know their players and I have no doubt that this train of thought is out there.