7.227 Israel Mukuama CB South Carolina CB33 C

7.238 Matt Farniok OT Nebraska OT29 C

Grades-

A = great

B= good

C= okay

D- Bad

Draft Grade = C

Getting wiped out at CB before 10 was not ideal. With Justin Fields, Rashawn Slater, Micah Parsons on the board Dallas chose to trade down to 12 with Philadelphia, getting 3.84 in return. Philadelphia chose DeVonta Smith at 10. Giants traded 11 to Chicago for 1.20, ‘22 1st rounder. Dallas could have made that trade but had Parsons as the highest rated player on the board. Even over Surtain and Horn. In my opinion they should have taken Slater to protect Dak. 

Kelvin Joseph was the best available CB at 44. He’s a rapper in his free time. He was asked to leave LSU before winding up at Kentucky. If he puts as much effort into being a corner as he does his music Dallas could have another talented CB.

Osa Odighizuwa is a DT that can play 3T and 1T if he bulks up. Kid has a wrestling background which shows his athleticism. Can rush the passer. Better against the run for a DT his size.

Chauncey Gholston is a solid Iowa DE. Not an explosive athlete. He’s a kid that will be a rotation guy with the potential to become a starter. 

Nahshon Wright was a reach at 3.99. Tall, long kid who only played 2 years of D1 ball. I’m not a fan of this pick. Dallas had better options at this pick. Ifeatu Meilfonwu and Elijah Molden. His traits fit what Dan Quinn wants in a CB. If he develops he could be something. You just don’t do that in the 3rd round.

Jabril Cox started off day 3 in a good way. Former NDSU/LSU LB is better against the pass then he is the run right now. Which is something you can’t say for Jaylon Smith. Should be a special teams guy with the potential to be a starter sooner rather than later.

Josh Ball would be a good pick at OT if he wasn’t a trash person. 11 counts of domestic abuse against his former girlfriend forced him to leave FSU. 

Simi Fehoko is a 6-4 220 WR who runs a 4.43 40. That’s a big boy that can move. With Michael Gallup in a contract year, Fehoko can redshirt this year. Learn the scheme and take over for Gallup in ‘22. 

Quinton Bohanna is a kid that could make the team, could be cut. 6-4 327 1T run stopper. He’s big not athletic. Great for stopping the run. If he makes the team he’ll be a situational player.

Israel Mukuama is another tall, long cornerback. That seemed to be the trend this draft. Not fast enough to line up outside in the NFL he’s a potential move to FS. Dan Quinn has success making the same move with Damintae Kazee. 7th round is when you take a guy like this. I like this move better than Wright at 3.99.

Matt Farniok is a versatile OL. Can play anywhere on the line. With Joe Looney leaving, there’s room for a guy like this to make the team.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenDogs64 said:

I give them a B. We definitely reached for a few players, but we addressed some need on defense. It will be interesting to see if some of these guys develop or end up being trash picks lol.

First year under Dan Quinn and Dallas have the keys to the draft to him. If Parsons and Joseph play up to their potential this defense could take a step forward. The d-line got some interesting pieces added to it.  Secondary definitely got bigger. This needs to be a Dirty Dozen type draft. I just have my doubts. 

• Like 1

I don't know why Dallas took a WR, he probably won't even make the team.  I would have taken a long shot on someone that might have potential to make the team.  If none become starters I give it an F.  The only way it's an A is if 5 players become starters.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I don't know why Dallas took a WR, he probably won't even make the team.  I would have taken a long shot on someone that might have potential to make the team.  If none become starters I give it an F.  The only way it's an A is if 5 players become starters.  

With 11 rookies, there’s either going to be a lot of veterans cut and Dal surrounded by Rookies....or Dallas wasted picks while not improving their team. I’m leaning wasted picks myself. 

This draft is the 2020s version of the mid 90s Cowboys backup drafts. Drafting cheap talent to replace expensive veterans. Stephen Jones is all about saving a penny anyway he can. That’s his Super Bowl. He doesn’t care about what happens on the field. 

44 minutes ago, Stoney said:

With 11 rookies, there’s either going to be a lot of veterans cut and Dal surrounded by Rookies....or Dallas wasted picks while not improving their team. I’m leaning wasted picks myself. 

This draft is the 2020s version of the mid 90s Cowboys backup drafts. Drafting cheap talent to replace expensive veterans. Stephen Jones is all about saving a penny anyway he can. That’s his Super Bowl. He doesn’t care about what happens on the field. 

I don't see this draft as the Dirty Dozen of 1975.  Times were good when Dallas was the only team that used computers for drafting players, and they were basic back then.  Now every team uses them.  I'm starting to see that pattern.  Jerry and Stephen seem to be like Democratic politicians promising the world, and then giving us a big bag of nothing.  

I give them a C-

I think the big and fast WR was a good pick that could help them .... not crazy about any of the other choices .... I think they should have taken Sermon, the RB from Oklahoma to help carry the RB load .... Elliott just doesn’t seem to have the same spark as before ....

Jerrruh better hope they can protect his over paid QB .....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

I give them a C-

I think the big and fast WR was a good pick that could help them .... not crazy about any of the other choices .... I think they should have taken Sermon, the RB from Oklahoma to help carry the RB load .... Elliott just doesn’t seem to have the same spark as before ....

Jerrruh better hope they can protect his over paid QB .....

I’m curious to see how they use Fehoko in this offense. Cooper and Lamb are more quick, route runner receivers. His game is similar to Gallup’s except he’s got 4” and runs a full .1 second faster than him. Heard some mention he could handle the return duties. 6-4 220 returning the ball? That’s a load. 

Dallas needs a 3rd RB. Zeke’s 25 with 1,413 carries under his belt. It’s been a steady decline the past 3 years. Tony Pollard is nice change of pace back. He’s more pass catching, speed back then power back. Dallas signed a couple UDFA today. Who knows what you got there. 

Rashawn Slater at 10 and then at 12, should have been the pick. Who knows how long Tyron can play? He’s missed 26 games the past 5 years out of 80. Connor Williams is solid but it’s a toss up between him and Biadasz on who’s the weakest link in the line. Drafting Slater could have solved the Williams issue right now, while giving Tyron a chance to groom his replacement. Dallas had Micah Parsons above a ton of better fit/better players on their board. My franchise QB with his new contract and surgically repaired ankle could use the help up front.

Cowboys 2021 UDFA List

Brenden Knox RB Marshall 5-10 215 4.66

JaQuan Hardy RB Tiffin 5-8 211 4.53

Osiris Mitchell WR Miss State 6-5 206 4.58

Brandon Smith WR Iowa 6-1 218 4.62

Brennan Eagles WR Texas 6-3 225 4.53

TJ Vasher WR Texas Tech 6-5 185 

Artayvious Lynn TE TCU 6-3 249 4.83

Nick Eubanks TE Michigan 6-4 245 4.68

Nick Ralston FB/TE Louisiana Lafayette 

Braylon Jones OG Houston 6-3 319 33 1/8

Austin Faoliu DT Oregon 6-3 287 32 3/4

Tyler Coyle LB Purdue 6-0 209 4.36

Anthony Hines LB Texas A&M 6-2 225 4.64

I'm giving the Cowboys an F on this.  Many of their draft picks could have been taken with later picks, because they had off the field issues.  https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-draft-cowboys-continue-to-ignore-off-field-issues-with-pick-of-josh-ball-who-was-accused-of-dating-violence-185850949.html .  That would have left them available in later rounds, but Jerry wanted shock value.  

According to the latest news coming out of Denton......rookie undrafted free-agent Nick Ralston either has or will sign with the Dallas Cowboys as a fullback.  For those that don't know.......he was a record-setting RB at the 4A level for Argyle and amassed crazy numbers as a 3 yr starter at RB for Argyle.  The guy is big and strong......and also very very passionate about football. He's also intelligent with a high football IQ. And very athletic with good footspeed for his size.  Played 4 seasons at Ariz. State with a freshman redshirt, then transferred to the Ragin Cajuns for his senior season and played all 14 games.  Played some TE for them as well.  But will most likely be a blocking back for the Cowboys organization.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I give Dallas a solid "B' in this draft. Parsons has potential to be really good. I personally do not think he has the field smarts of either LVE or Jaylon. But he does make up for it in athleticism. If he can learn the system then he will be a much better player for us. If not then the time lost with him thinking about a play will reduce his effectiveness. I look for LVE and Jaylon to both have very good seasons. Kelvin Joseph I don't have much thought either way since I have not seen him play. I believe Osa will be a solid pickup for us in the middle of the line. He should break into the lineup during this season I hope. I look for Nahshon Wright will get a lot of playing time this season. Jabril Cox also shows good potential to make and get in rotation this season. Dallas addressed most of their needs this season with good players. We did not need another qb, running back or wr. Getting someone that can be a long snapper for us will also be a key position to watch. With most of our "A" team healthy we should be back in the hunt this season.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1