Bridge City new head football coach

powerlifter

Not at all. Think about this for a second.

Todd Dodge cannot win, never has win, ever in his career except at SLC and Westlake. It's a fact, you can look it up. In fact, not a single winning season at any other school in his "illustrious" career. Now, we all know, ANYONE can and does win at SLC and Westlake....you can look that up too. They won before him and since him and WL will win after he's gone. It's who they are. Like Brock. 

Now, take a guy like this Cody fellow. He's an assistant to Dodge. He's in one of the most catered to and most privilege programs in the United States (FACT). They have more than enough coaches and all coaches are catered to in teaching fields, schedules and so forth. They coach kids that are highly motivated and every resource imaginable is used to ensure Westlake is elite. Can we agree so far?

Now you take a guy from that, cut the number of coaches, put them in less than advantageous schedules and situations, give them kids that are NOT highly motivated and a place that few, if any resources are going into winning and you tell me if he's a good fit.

Should have gone out and got a guy that has been in situations like BC and have actually had success instead. JMHO. Some guys can coach anything. Some can coach in bad situations and some cannot. Some can coach and manage winners that win no matter what and some of those guys do it better than others, like TD. 

If you want to win big, you have to establish what your town and school needs for that to happen. and then hire the person whose qualifications are best suited for that job. Hiring of coaches if done way too much by those who have no clue about coaching at all. I wonder why they never put together a committee of coaches to hire all the teachers????.....LOL

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1994  Cameron                    3-7-0
1995  Cameron                    5-5-0
1996  Carrollton Newman    3-7-0
1997  Carrollton Newman    5-5-0
1998  Keller Fossil Ridge     2-7-0
1999  Keller Fossil Ridge     5-5-0

2012  Marble Falls               4-6-0
2013  Marble Falls               4-6-0

31-48 At NON SLC or Westlake Schools with  4 different schools

ZERO Playoff Appearances.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CodeBreaker said:

Not at all. Think about this for a second.

Todd Dodge cannot win, never has win, ever in his career except at SLC and Westlake. It's a fact, you can look it up. In fact, not a single winning season at any other school in his "illustrious" career. Now, we all know, ANYONE can and does win at SLC and Westlake....you can look that up too. They won before him and since him and WL will win after he's gone. It's who they are. Like Brock. 

Now, take a guy like this Cody fellow. He's an assistant to Dodge. He's in one of the most catered to and most privilege programs in the United States (FACT). They have more than enough coaches and all coaches are catered to in teaching fields, schedules and so forth. They coach kids that are highly motivated and every resource imaginable is used to ensure Westlake is elite. Can we agree so far?

Now you take a guy from that, cut the number of coaches, put them in less than advantageous schedules and situations, give them kids that are NOT highly motivated and a place that few, if any resources are going into winning and you tell me if he's a good fit.

Should have gone out and got a guy that has been in situations like BC and have actually had success instead. JMHO. Some guys can coach anything. Some can coach in bad situations and some cannot. Some can coach and manage winners that win no matter what and some of those guys do it better than others, like TD. 

If you want to win big, you have to establish what your town and school needs for that to happen. and then hire the person whose qualifications are best suited for that job. Hiring of coaches if done way too much by those who have no clue about coaching at all. I wonder why they never put together a committee of coaches to hire all the teachers????.....LOL

Damn. Tell it like it is. 

LOL....I did not get a call is correct and I did not apply nor am I a coach. But, that's the typical response when someone is honest these days huh? Telling it like it is used to be acceptable, then that morphed into using "telling it like it is" as an excuse to be an A-Hole and now, due to the mass self-castration of men these days has left the truth hurting feelings and being to "harsh"....LOL. 

It is what is it is. There are few people who could win anything substantial in Bridge City. The place isn't a "winning" place. So, Cody will most likely have a real crappy time there, end up being hated by many, walk out with a 5-15 or 8-12 record or something like that and BC will start all over. Then they'll interview a bunch of dudes who are "coordinators" on paper and the ones from Westlake, SLC, Carthage, Aledo  and places like that who really aren't coordinators at all but say they are will dazzle the hiring committee and they'll act like they know how to hire a coach and "the beat goes on.......the beat goes on". 

Insane profession. I don't know why anyone would want to do it. Buy hey,,,we gotta have em to watch our teams right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodeBreaker said:

LOL....I did not get a call is correct and I did not apply nor am I a coach. But, that's the typical response when someone is honest these days huh? Telling it like it is used to be acceptable, then that morphed into using "telling it like it is" as an excuse to be an A-Hole and now, due to the mass self-castration of men these days has left the truth hurting feelings and being to "harsh"....LOL. 

It is what is it is. There are few people who could win anything substantial in Bridge City. The place isn't a "winning" place. So, Cody will most likely have a real crappy time there, end up being hated by many, walk out with a 5-15 or 8-12 record or something like that and BC will start all over. Then they'll interview a bunch of dudes who are "coordinators" on paper and the ones from Westlake, SLC, Carthage, Aledo  and places like that who really aren't coordinators at all but say they are will dazzle the hiring committee and they'll act like they know how to hire a coach and "the beat goes on.......the beat goes on". 

Insane profession. I don't know why anyone would want to do it. Buy hey,,,we gotta have em to watch our teams right?

I'm not sure I know what to make of you and your posts.  I think I like it??? It's got a wild, feral energy.  Carry on good sir

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

I'm not saying you are wrong.  You made some good points.  But it seems like most of your ire is directed at Todd Dodge, and that's not who they hired.  Was the three seasons under Dodge his only coaching experience? (Asking because I don't know)  Are you for sure that he hasn't coached in "losing" places before?  Is that a badge of honor to be able to say "I coached for several bad schools and made it through!"?  

Again, I understand why you wouldn't want Todd Dodge to come to Bridge City, but what about this guy, besides working for a short time under Dodge, makes you think he can't do the job?  Seems like you are judging him based off one part of his resume....

2 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

Just asking who do you think BC should have hired for the job? What would be your response if the new coach comes in and just does the opposite of your prediction. 

4 hours ago, JBizzle said:

I'm not saying you are wrong.  You made some good points.  But it seems like most of your ire is directed at Todd Dodge, and that's not who they hired.  Was the three seasons under Dodge his only coaching experience? (Asking because I don't know)  Are you for sure that he hasn't coached in "losing" places before?  Is that a badge of honor to be able to say "I coached for several bad schools and made it through!"?  

Again, I understand why you wouldn't want Todd Dodge to come to Bridge City, but what about this guy, besides working for a short time under Dodge, makes you think he can't do the job?  Seems like you are judging him based off one part of his resume....

Nor sir, my pointing out the obvious was to "cross-examine" the state's argument that 3 years working for Dodge qualifies him some how to be a qualified leader of a decades long struggling program from rags to riches. My point was that it actually disqualifies him. Had he took over a job, say, Brock, who wins no matter who the leader is, it would make more sense. He comes from a mentor (Dodge) who is very good at this particular scenario. But to state 3 years under Dodge as you introduce him actually lessens his validity to me. So, no, I was not after Dodge. he's a great coach put in the right situation. THAT IS ALWAYS MY POINT on this coaching hires junk. 

I'm not judging the guy either. Certainly off of only 1 part of his resume, but I am playing the odds. Odds are, almost all coaches can't go to BC and win. Much less a guy who doesn't have a firsthand knowledgable experience from the top of a situation like BC. 

4 hours ago, WhoamI97539 said:

Just asking who do you think BC should have hired for the job? What would be your response if the new coach comes in and just does the opposite of your prediction. 

First, my answer will always be the same. If king I would never hire someone who had not been a HC before unless I did not get enough quality applicants who had WINNING HC experience. If this were the case, I would up the salary and repost the job and take applications until I got some guys I felt good about interviewing. I would go out and recruit proven leaders of programs that made it from rags to riches. I would make them offers they could not refuse. For those that will argue this cannot be done, you are a fool to think this. There are some many ways from providing a company car, $1000 cell phone allowance a month, to paying fulling for entire families insurance to simply paying a boat load of money. That's not even to mention the possibilities to some of these guys who can actually retire and rehire and how that can benefit them also. So, who should they have hired? 

1. Head Coaching experience REQUIRED

2. Winning Record - Never hire a guy who has a proven documented LOSING record - makes not sense

3. Someone who has BUILT a winner and not inherited one.

4. Someone who can relate to YOUR situation, town, demographics and dynamics

5. Christian

As for your second question - If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to tip my hat to what is obviously a very talented and special coach because very few can do the opposite of what I'm saying.

Has it even crossed your mind to ask why this guy would be leaving Westlake? Seriously, there's a good chance he's taking a pay cut, will have way more responsibilities and he is moving to a less (by most folks account) type place to live. Maybe he was told to get to looking b/c we won't have much for you here next year. Maybe not, but in this profession, tons of guys get sold as something good just to get rid of them.

Think about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

First, my answer will always be the same. If king I would never hire someone who had not been a HC before unless I did not get enough quality applicants who had WINNING HC experience. If this were the case, I would up the salary and repost the job and take applications until I got some guys I felt good about interviewing. I would go out and recruit proven leaders of programs that made it from rags to riches. I would make them offers they could not refuse. For those that will argue this cannot be done, you are a fool to think this. There are some many ways from providing a company car, $1000 cell phone allowance a month, to paying fulling for entire families insurance to simply paying a boat load of money. That's not even to mention the possibilities to some of these guys who can actually retire and rehire and how that can benefit them also. So, who should they have hired? 

1. Head Coaching experience REQUIRED

2. Winning Record - Never hire a guy who has a proven documented LOSING record - makes not sense

3. Someone who has BUILT a winner and not inherited one.

4. Someone who can relate to YOUR situation, town, demographics and dynamics

5. Christian

As for your second question - If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to tip my hat to what is obviously a very talented and special coach because very few can do the opposite of what I'm saying.

Has it even crossed your mind to ask why this guy would be leaving Westlake? Seriously, there's a good chance he's taking a pay cut, will have way more responsibilities and he is moving to a less (by most folks account) type place to live. Maybe he was told to get to looking b/c we won't have much for you here next year. Maybe not, but in this profession, tons of guys get sold as something good just to get rid of them.

Think about it.

If a place like BC could find a coach who meets those 5 criteria, i bet they would hire them...

And now you go from judging him because he works for Dodge to assuming his reasons for leaving Westlake.  You assume nobody would leave more money as an assistant to become a head coach.  I know plenty of people who would much rather live ANYWHERE than Austin...as a matter of fact most Texans think Austin is the worst place in the state.  Maybe he's looking because he wants to be a head football coach and he isn't scared by the challenge that is BC?

You may be right, but I don't think you are arguing with facts.  I think you made an assumption about a man based on very little info.

Need to compile a list of big school assitant coaches(5a-6a) that got jobs in the last 5- 10 years and won at smaller (2a-4a) schools. I know some of yall keyboard cowboys could whip that up pronto!

• LOL! 1

Everything codebreaker mentioned is what I've tried explaining to people who are on the genitalia of guys who come from perennial winners whether those coaches are present or not.

BC definitely isn't Westlake.  There are battles being fought at BC that aren't even a thought in Westlake and vice versa.  I've seen a lot of good men from successful programs go into places that were smaller that have no history of even being successful and fail to be able to teach their kids to flush after themselves.

7 hours ago, JBizzle said:

If a place like BC could find a coach who meets those 5 criteria, i bet they would hire them...

And now you go from judging him because he works for Dodge to assuming his reasons for leaving Westlake.  You assume nobody would leave more money as an assistant to become a head coach.  I know plenty of people who would much rather live ANYWHERE than Austin...as a matter of fact most Texans think Austin is the worst place in the state.  Maybe he's looking because he wants to be a head football coach and he isn't scared by the challenge that is BC?

You may be right, but I don't think you are arguing with facts.  I think you made an assumption about a man based on very little info.

Hey Bud....I'm not assuming anything except that I don't believe BC will win more than 6-8 ball games in the next 2 years. That's a pretty safe assumption because, well, most coaches fall in this category. I didn't assume he got run out or that he wants to be or not be anything. That's you not being able to interpret the written English language. I was very deliberate in what I said. I doubt many will see what you saw. 

It's mostly just a bunch of stuff to CONSIDER as it's all a potential reality in the professional world of High School Football Coaching. And on top of all of that, I said I'd be the first to say I was wrong if I am. Have a great day!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JBizzle said:

AND BTW - Any place can find those 5 things I listed for hiring a HC. It's just a matter of making it happen. It it's important, they will make it happen. The fact that you suggest a "place like BC" kinda supports my theory that they are perennial losers does it not? That in turn kinda supports my position on hiring a "silver spoons" coach as opposed to someone that's already "been there done dat" at a place like BC. 

Thank you!

• LOL! 1

6 hours ago, RKS21 said:

Need to compile a list of big school assitant coaches(5a-6a) that got jobs in the last 5- 10 years and won at smaller (2a-4a) schools. I know some of yall keyboard cowboys could whip that up pronto!

That would be very interesting to see. I'll bet the results were less than respectable. 

1 hour ago, nationalpastime said:

Everything codebreaker mentioned is what I've tried explaining to people who are on the genitalia of guys who come from perennial winners whether those coaches are present or not.

BC definitely isn't Westlake.  There are battles being fought at BC that aren't even a thought in Westlake and vice versa.  I've seen a lot of good men from successful programs go into places that were smaller that have no history of even being successful and fail to be able to teach their kids to flush after themselves.

EXACTLY!!!!!

When questioning hires made by schools you have to ask yourself these questions before you get some answers to the questions that you have. 1. Did they call Daniel Swaim? 2. Did Daniel Swaim turn them down? 3. Was Swaim trying to put together a package for him and Kerry Strong that fell apart? 4. Maybe the only thing Swaim could offer them was him as HC Strong as OC and Todd Dodge as the Special Teams guy? Lastly hire a hometown guy and in the case of Bridge City it starts and ends with Danny Villanueva? But maybe Bridge City got their Danny’s mixed up which is odd because I have never heard anybody call Daniel Swaim Danny. But maybe he hangs out with people who like to say Danny. So in that case why not hire Danny Villanueva? So many unanswered questions.

• LOL! 1

Folks Bridge City has only one State title and that was due to a D1 stud. The bridge City community is all about baseball/softball football is 2nd place at that school. They messed up when they ran Dubois off from that school

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, CodeBreaker said:

AND BTW - Any place can find those 5 things I listed for hiring a HC. It's just a matter of making it happen. It it's important, they will make it happen. The fact that you suggest a "place like BC" kinda supports my theory that they are perennial losers does it not? That in turn kinda supports my position on hiring a "silver spoons" coach as opposed to someone that's already "been there done dat" at a place like BC. 

Thank you!

I called it a place like BC, because that's how you said it.  I can read just fine.  You came out guns blazin on this hire and you have based everything you said on very limited information.  As I said very early on, you may very well be right.  But your basis for it all seems to stem from the fact that he worked for Dodge and you don't know him.