Teachers Union Influences CDC

Hagar

35 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

What benefit did I gain? I have been in a building since June working on this school year, and I have worked face to face with kids since August. 

Btw, I’d told you earlier about an acquaintance of mine who works in a District that did away with the mask requirement two months ago.  There has been no increase in Covid.  Just a FYI.

3 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

I would suggest exercising caution in using the term "larger businesses" or "Big businesses". Not saying you're wrong, but I think we need more clarification on what you mean by "larger business". Whatever you may think of the team, or the owner, did you know that the Texas Rangers baseball team is an LLC? I believe it's considered a "small business". Same with the Cowboys. I believe they're actually an LLC (though I could be wrong).

Especially when it comes to money. What constitutes "larger businesses" with regard to income? If I have a small (say, 5 people) shop, and we're pulling in $20 million in profit, are we a "larger business"?

I have worked for 2 major corporations, whether they are LLCs or not, Exxon and TXU are major corporations, when I worked for them I could invest in those companies and they had retirement programs where they matched dollars in your investments. Many companies don't do that anymore, because it is a drain on their profits and the CEO wants more money. 

You can think that the Cowboys and the Rangers are small businesses and by definition, they might be, but they aren't. I mean if the Cowboys had employees helping run the business there is NO WAY they don't take the Bears offer of an extra 1st round pick in 2022. So much for employee partnerships. :rofl:

35 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Thank you for your service. 

The only reason you didn’t have the benefit that your teachers Union buddies in blue states received is because you live in the great state of Texas where our leaders don’t play the BS teachers Union games quite as bad!

Texas made itself a "right to work" state years ago. They outlaw teacher unions, because they don't want the headache. I don't want unions for teachers, but if they state keeps dropping the ball on their responsibility, I will be at the front of the line organizing teachers. And we will see just how well parents will do teaching their own kids and having to deal with their own children 24/7. Right now, parents get away from their kids for at least 8 hours a day, and sometimes more depending upon programs in the district. Teachers will only take so much more the state dropping the ball--especially when it comes to pay and retirement. Neither of which are paid out of property taxes, mind you. 

2 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Texas made itself a "right to work" state years ago. They outlaw teacher unions, because they don't want the headache. I don't want unions for teachers, but if they state keeps dropping the ball on their responsibility, I will be at the front of the line organizing teachers. And we will see just how well parents will do teaching their own kids and having to deal with their own children 24/7. Right now, parents get away from their kids for at least 8 hours a day, and sometimes more depending upon programs in the district. Teachers will only take so much more the state dropping the ball--especially when it comes to pay and retirement. Neither of which are paid out of property taxes, mind you. 

lol, of course “the property taxes”! 

I know you and I are on opposite sides of the fence on this one, but vouchers and an education free market would be the best thing to ever happen to teachers. 

1 hour ago, Hagar said:

Btw, I’d told you earlier about an acquaintance of mine who works in a District that did away with the mask requirement two months ago.  There has been no increase in Covid.  Just a FYI.

It's never been about huge outbreaks or spikes at school, although about 25% of our staff got Covid, including myself and my whole family, but about making sure older loved ones were protected by our exposure to the world, while waiting on the vaccine to be available to educators, who weren't a priority until this administration. Now, we will finish the year on top of it, not dropping the protocol with only a month to go, because we don't care about politics.

• Roll Eyes 2

Just now, BarryLaverty said:

It's never been about huge outbreaks or spikes at school, although about 25% of our staff got Covid, including myself and my whole family, but about making sure older loved ones were protected by our exposure to the world, while waiting on the vaccine to be available to educators, who weren't a priority until this administration. Now, we will finish the year on top of it, not dropping the protocol with only a month to go, because we don't care about politics.

The info was merely an update, not meant as any kind of mask good/mask bad political statement.  Glad y’all are doing good.

4 minutes ago, Hagar said:

The info was merely an update, not meant as any kind of mask good/mask bad political statement.  Glad y’all are doing good.

I jumped all over that, huh...😆

Actually very ready to work without masks, which will probably start in June, with no kids around for most of the day. It's a long day with them, for sure. But, do believe they helped and will err on the side of caution. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I jumped all over that, huh...😆

Actually very ready to work without masks, which will probably start in June, with no kids around for most of the day. It's a long day with them, for sure. But, do believe they helped and will err on the side of caution. 

Only time I wear one of those stupid masks is when I fly; Airlines get very pissy if you don’t wear one.🙄

3 hours ago, trashyhound said:

lol, of course “the property taxes”! 

I know you and I are on opposite sides of the fence on this one, but vouchers and an education free market would be the best thing to ever happen to teachers. 

Vouchers only work with airlines and grocery stores. Vouchers in education ONLY help those that have money and want the taxpayers to foot their bill, it has NOTHING to do with educating students, it's about saving the rich more of their money. Maybe someday you'll learn that. 

13 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Vouchers only work with airlines and grocery stores. Vouchers in education ONLY help those that have money and want the taxpayers to foot their bill, it has NOTHING to do with educating students, it's about saving the rich more of their money. Maybe someday you'll learn that. 

Wrong. 
You know you agree with conservatives on every issue but this one!?! 

I’m betting you think all the conservatives got it wrong. lol

8 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

As of the 2019-2020 school year, there were 5,479,173 students in Texas.

So 1.82609278e-7 of the parents are doing pretty well--not even great. image.jpeg:rofl:

Perspective, my friend. We cover eight subjects in a day. Math, Chemistry (this year), Technology, English, Foreign Language, Government/Economics, Digital Arts, and a PhysEd course. I'd say we're doing alright. Plus, there are studies that show that home school kids do just as well (or better) than public school kids on entrance exams for college and so forth.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Monte1076 said:

Perspective, my friend. We cover eight subjects in a day. Math, Chemistry (this year), Technology, English, Foreign Language, Government/Economics, Digital Arts, and a PhysEd course. I'd say we're doing alright. Plus, there are studies that show that home school kids do just as well (or better) than public school kids on entrance exams for college and so forth.

Don’t try to use facts and logic with government school fans, you’ll get nowhere. 

• Thumbs Down 1

14 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Thank you for your service. 

The only reason you didn’t have the benefit that your teachers Union buddies in blue states received is because you live in the great state of Texas where our leaders don’t play the BS teachers Union games quite as bad!

He almost sounds disgruntled that he didn’t get to stay home

• LOL! 2

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

He almost sounds disgruntled that he didn’t get to stay home

I have been showing up and working in person for almost a year now. My early concern was that I might be exposed to something deadly, while doing my job in close quarters, but I showed up and have taken 1 day and a half off for 'personal' business. I was mandated out with Covid and came back three days early. 
Have you made all your shifts at the local BK? Or is it cart wrangler at the local Walmart? Maybe, road kill cleaner? Can't think of many jobs that don't require SOME brains, Lion. 😏

13 hours ago, trashyhound said:

Wrong. 
You know you agree with conservatives on every issue but this one!?! 

I’m betting you think all the conservatives got it wrong. lol

Here is your problem, you think that all problems should have the same source--liberal or conservative. I look at each problem as itself, not as overall. 

Taxation--problem is mainly overspending, no budget. 

Schools--Administrators and politicians making the money--not those on the front lines (teachers)--while you seem to be listening to FOX NEWS nonstop--teachers in Texas have been working IN SCHOOLS since August-During COVID outbreaks and quarantines I have been here at work. Unlike Barry--I don't have personal things that need to be taken care of during the work day--which stinks, because I always think I want a day off--but I'd end up working harder at the house than if I was at the school. LOL. 

Abortion--I believe women have the RIGHT to choose. 

So yeah, while I am conservative on some issues, I am not on others. I am a second generation educator--and I know that the ones actually doing the work are the ones getting left behind, not those politicians that keep insisting vouchers will make life so wonderful--because if you believe those idiots--then I have some beautiful beachfront property for sale just outside the small beach resort of Diboll, Texas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DannyZuco said:

Here is your problem, you think that all problems should have the same source--liberal or conservative. I look at each problem as itself, not as overall. 

Taxation--problem is mainly overspending, no budget. 

Schools--Administrators and politicians making the money--not those on the front lines (teachers)--while you seem to be listening to FOX NEWS nonstop--teachers in Texas have been working IN SCHOOLS since August-During COVID outbreaks and quarantines I have been here at work. Unlike Barry--I don't have personal things that need to be taken care of during the work day--which stinks, because I always think I want a day off--but I'd end up working harder at the house than if I was at the school. LOL. 

Abortion--I believe women have the RIGHT to choose. 

So yeah, while I am conservative on some issues, I am not on others. I am a second generation educator--and I know that the ones actually doing the work are the ones getting left behind, not those politicians that keep insisting vouchers will make life so wonderful--because if you believe those idiots--then I have some beautiful beachfront property for sale just outside the small beach resort of Diboll, Texas. 

lol. 
look at your scores and we’ll have to agree that there is a problem. Your solution is what? More money? 

So women can choose to murder their babies but not where to school them. Makes sense

3 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

I have been showing up and working in person for almost a year now. My early concern was that I might be exposed to something deadly, while doing my job in close quarters, but I showed up and have taken 1 day and a half off for 'personal' business. I was mandated out with Covid and came back three days early. 
Have you made all your shifts at the local BK? Or is it cart wrangler at the local Walmart? Maybe, road kill cleaner? Can't think of many jobs that don't require SOME brains, Lion. 😏

We don’t have a BK here.  I may not be the smartest person on this site, but I promise you you couldn’t do my job.  I missed almost a month due to exposure then got Covid anyway.  Was symptomatic for 16 days.  Outside of that, I worked all my shifts.  

3 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

39th in the nation for average salaries in Texas, and yet we have grandstanding plebs who think vouchers are the way. Their representatives have created the education problem in Texas, but they blame teachers (and the plebs believe it).

15 minutes ago, galloping_gobbler said:

39th in the nation for average salaries in Texas, and yet we have grandstanding plebs who think vouchers are the way. Their representatives have created the education problem in Texas, but they blame teachers (and the plebs believe it).

Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully believe in school choice--and like all Texans, we have that already--you just don't get to take your local property tax dollars along for the ride to the other school district. And if the state wants to provide money for vouchers through the "lottery", they are welcome to do that also. But school choice and vouchers is a wonderful phrasing of rich folks wanting to "pay less to private schools". Inner city kids won't be effected--unless they can get to those other schools on their own. Southlake isn't going to send a bus to Balch Springs to get a kid, except well, if there are a couple 5 star-All Star Athletes. If a politician is calling for vouchers and school choice, you know they are pocketing money somewhere, and from someone. And you can bet your house on that. 

27 minutes ago, galloping_gobbler said:

Wrong. 
“Those kids can have all the choice they want, just not one cent of my money!”

-Government school monopoly

8 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I fully believe in school choice--and like all Texans, we have that already--you just don't get to take your local property tax dollars along for the ride to the other school district. And if the state wants to provide money for vouchers through the "lottery", they are welcome to do that also. But school choice and vouchers is a wonderful phrasing of rich folks wanting to "pay less to private schools". Inner city kids won't be effected--unless they can get to those other schools on their own. Southlake isn't going to send a bus to Balch Springs to get a kid, except well, if there are a couple 5 star-All Star Athletes. If a politician is calling for vouchers and school choice, you know they are pocketing money somewhere, and from someone. And you can bet your house on that. 

You’re wrong. 
Vouchers help lower income kids more than rich kids. 

Rich kids already have a choice, the poor ones don’t. 
But don’t worry teachers, nobody will touch “your” money. Your big money lobby will see to that! 

For the kids my Azz!

2 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

We don’t have a BK here.  I may not be the smartest person on this site, but I promise you you couldn’t do my job.  I missed almost a month due to exposure then got Covid anyway.  Was symptomatic for 16 days.  Outside of that, I worked all my shifts.  

Back at ya. Promise you couldn't do my job. Would bet a Reese's Blizzard you couldn't.