California’s ‘Equity’ Math Rejects Existence of Naturally Gifted Students: ‘All Children Capable at Highest Levels’

RETIREDFAN1

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/05/californias-equity-math-rejects-existence-of-naturally-gifted-students-all-children-capable-at-highest-levels/

No, all children are NOT capable of handling higher mathematics.........those gifted with a mathematical mind SHOULD be put on a path to foster the growth of their abilities.......

• Like 1

It is ridiculous to pretend that all people share the same gifts, skills and abilities to the same level when that is so clearly not true. That is why I detest political correctness...it forces people to deny what they can see with their own eyes. 

• Thanks 1

Every child should have the opportunity to at least try all the subjects so they can find their calling in life. Math can be learned--and everyone can learn math skills. Some are just better in the higher math categories than others, but everyone should understand addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, estimation. 

So if they $100 for food, they can subtract the cost from the original dollar amount, be able to multiply that cost by a certain numbers of items purchased, know what percentage of the bill those items will be, and estimate how long before they become hungry, because they bought t-bone steaks on a hamburger budget. 

29 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Algebra II and higher should never be a requirement  for EVERYONE.......After Geometry, the math minds should move up.....the rest should be taking consumer math classes.....

I would agree with that, to graduate with honors you would have to take Algebra 2, Eng 4, Physics, Chemistry, & Local Civics classes. Plus each student should have to do 10 hours of public service outside of the school each year to graduate to the next grade. Not helping some teacher clean the class room, but cleaning roads--outside, feeding the poor and homeless, spending time with law enforcement and other 1st responders. But that is just my wish list and opinion. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Algebra II and higher should never be a requirement  for EVERYONE.......After Geometry, the math minds should move up.....the rest should be taking consumer math classes.....

I had more trouble with Geometry than I did with Algebra II.  Mainly is was remembering the different formulas for the various shapes.  After I memorized them, I quit having problems.  

8 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

I would agree with that, to graduate with honors you would have to take Algebra 2, Eng 4, Physics, Chemistry, & Local Civics classes. Plus each student should have to do 10 hours of public service outside of the school each year to graduate to the next grade. Not helping some teacher clean the class room, but cleaning roads--outside, feeding the poor and homeless, spending time with law enforcement and other 1st responders. But that is just my wish list and opinion. 

I've never understood the Community Service junk.  They're not on probation.  We didn't have that when I was in school either.  Then again more kids were in Boy Scouts when I was in school, and we did a lot of service projects as you mentioned.  Many clubs that I was involved in also had service projects that we did.  I just don't think it should be a requirement for all, especially for those that are involved in sports and have a part time job.  

23 hours ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/05/05/californias-equity-math-rejects-existence-of-naturally-gifted-students-all-children-capable-at-highest-levels/

No, all children are NOT capable of handling higher mathematics.........those gifted with a mathematical mind SHOULD be put on a path to foster the growth of their abilities.......

I’m a prime example of the “NOT capable”.  😜🤪

• LOL! 1