4A Region 2 Baseball

10 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

Bullard and Spring Hill both had 1 guy that could throw.   PG has several arms that can throw and LE has 3 or 4 that can throw.   It’s tough to win a 3 game series with 1 guy on the mound.   Don’t know much about Godley but they better have more than 1 pitcher since it will be a 3 game series.   I don’t see Melissa beating PG.  

I wouldn’t say that about Bullard. They had a great team. The guys that threw game 2 and 3 were quality arms. Game 2 guy was working around 85 on radar. It was a crazy series 

• Like 1

1 very good 4a baseball team will go home after this week.   CC Calallen plays Navarro in the region 4 semis.  Also, in region 4 Sinton swept a very good Sweeny team to send them home.   In region 3 Rusk beat China Springs to advance.  Some of the highly ranked teams are falling fast.   And in region 1 Argyle is always Argyle!  Just some other state info everyone may be interested in.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WiseGuy said:

I wouldn’t say that about Bullard. They had a great team. The guys that threw game 2 and 3 were quality arms. Game 2 guy was working around 85 on radar. It was a crazy series 

Talent-wise Melissa may be best team left. Still, I think L-E and PG are on a roll and capable of winning. I certainly hope so. Bullard definitely had two quality arms, maybe three or four. Since Tucker Anderson doesn't appear to be 100 percent, I'd be more worried about PG's pitching.

7 hours ago, Texlov said:

Talent-wise Melissa may be best team left. Still, I think L-E and PG are on a roll and capable of winning. I certainly hope so. Bullard definitely had two quality arms, maybe three or four. Since Tucker Anderson doesn't appear to be 100 percent, I'd be more worried about PG's pitching.

If Melissa is so talented how did they end up 4th in district?   I don’t know much about them and I’m not trying to stir up the pot.   What happened to them during district play?  

On 5/23/2021 at 8:08 PM, BlackShirtD said:

If Melissa is so talented how did they end up 4th in district?   I don’t know much about them and I’m not trying to stir up the pot.   What happened to them during district play?  

Edited by CrankyOldMan

9 hours ago, Footballalltheway said:

In my opinion Melissa finished where they should have.  Celina, Aubrey and Anna were all more talented.  Melissa also lost games to Van Alstyne and Sanger and had a tie breaker game with VA just to get in the playoffs, those were not good teams.  Melissa has some decent players for a 4A school but no one really wows you.  Finishing 4th in district ended up being a blessing and getting easier matchups to this point for Melissa.  The top two pitchers for Melissa will fill the zone but neither are overpowering.  The game 1 kid is maybe a mid 80’s kid with mediocre off speed stuff. Game 2 starter is a upper 70’s low 80’s kid with better off speed pitches.  If it goes to game 3 it gets dicey pitching wise but that could be said for most 4A school’s pitching.  

That means they will take the L vs. the Hawks of PG.  

I said it from the start......PG has some returning players that are seniors and juniors, and then their program has all those baseball guys that are now ready to play against the stiffest competition.  I personally thought Bullard and Celina might be able to end up in the regional final......either one or possibly both.......but as baseball goes that didn't happen.  PG had to do some serious playing just to advance to this round from last week's contests......according to what I read.  Looks to me like any team left in Region 2 has a good shot at winning the region......I don't see any prohibitive favorites left at this point.

Do you know of any streaming of tonights game?

On 5/24/2021 at 9:26 AM, Footballalltheway said:

In my opinion Melissa finished where they should have.  Celina, Aubrey and Anna were all more talented.  Melissa also lost games to Van Alstyne and Sanger and had a tie breaker game with VA just to get in the playoffs, those were not good teams.  Melissa has some decent players for a 4A school but no one really wows you.  Finishing 4th in district ended up being a blessing and getting easier matchups to this point for Melissa.  The top two pitchers for Melissa will fill the zone but neither are overpowering.  The game 1 kid is maybe a mid 80’s kid with mediocre off speed stuff. Game 2 starter is a upper 70’s low 80’s kid with better off speed pitches.  If it goes to game 3 it gets dicey pitching wise but that could be said for most 4A school’s pitching.  

I thought talent wise Celina & Anna were the 2 best teams in district and then Aubrey & Melissa were even as 3-4. Aubrey/Mel split the season series and Aubrey won in 9 inn in a game Mel had many chances to win. VA wasn't a bad team and would have made the playoffs in many 4A districts. Sanger wasn't good and Gainesville may have been the worst team in 4A. I'm pretty shocked Melissa is the only team left in round 4. Out of the final 16 4As they are the only team left that didn't finish 1 or 2 in district and as you said they had to sneak in via tie-breaker game.  Cards #3 pitcher is decent. He held Celina to 2 runs thru 6 innings and after a rough 1st inning pitched well against Midlo Heritage in game 2 of that series. PG has to be the favorite but think will be close series and will go to a game 3.

On 5/28/2021 at 9:35 AM, Texski said:

I thought talent wise Celina & Anna were the 2 best teams in district and then Aubrey & Melissa were even as 3-4. Aubrey/Mel split the season series and Aubrey won in 9 inn in a game Mel had many chances to win. VA wasn't a bad team and would have made the playoffs in many 4A districts. Sanger wasn't good and Gainesville may have been the worst team in 4A. I'm pretty shocked Melissa is the only team left in round 4. Out of the final 16 4As they are the only team left that didn't finish 1 or 2 in district and as you said they had to sneak in via tie-breaker game.  Cards #3 pitcher is decent. He held Celina to 2 runs thru 6 innings and after a rough 1st inning pitched well against Midlo Heritage in game 2 of that series. PG has to be the favorite but think will be close series and will go to a game 3.

Edited by CrankyOldMan

1 hour ago, WiseGuy said:

PG beat Melissa 3-0 in game one 

Pg walked a lot of batters but Melissa could never get the hit with runners on 

Sounds to me like PG went with one of their lesser experienced or just less gifted pitchers in Game 1, Huh?  OR.....he just had trouble hitting the strike zone and was "off" a little on the night.  

On 5/28/2021 at 3:37 PM, regaleagle said:

Sounds to me like PG went with one of their lesser experienced or just less gifted pitchers in Game 1, Huh?  OR.....he just had trouble hitting the strike zone and was "off" a little on the night.  

Edited by CrankyOldMan

Going with someone who is usually a reliable source. Appears we were wrong, but it's not over yet. Looking like at PG-LE series now.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

PG doesn’t really have an “ace” this year. They pitch by committee. They used 3 guys on the mound today.