4A Region 2 Baseball

Argyle shuts down Andrews 5-0 at ACU in Game 1.  Andrews had the best fielding team Argyle has faced in the playoffs so far.  Game 2 will start at 12 noon tomorrow at ACU......followed by Game 3 if necessary.  Manning for Andrews pitched well tonight......has some good stuff.  Not sure if he was their ace........will find out tomorrow.  

Just now, regaleagle said:

Heard Stephenville defeated the Riverside Rangers of El Paso 11-6 in Game 1.  Maybe the Yellowjackets are under the radar with a good team this season.  Haven't really heard much about them all season.......but here they are.

Argyle has a very young group this season......their strength is in the stellar defense and pitching depth. They do play "small ball" well with the bunts and basepaths........lots of speed and steals.  They usually do a good job putting pressure on the pitchers when they get on base.

13 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Heard Stephenville defeated the Riverside Rangers of El Paso 11-6 in Game 1.  Maybe the Yellowjackets are under the radar with a good team this season.  Haven't really heard much about them all season.......but here they are.

I think there is 1 really good team left with a couple just behind them.   CC Calallen is probably the best with Argyle and  Sinton not far behind.   Sinton plays CC in the regional final.   I don’t think reg 3 is much.   Rusk #1 guy is good but that’s it.   Region 2 plays about the same.    No team is great,  just 4 that are very similar.   

3 minutes ago, BlackShirtD said:

I think there is 1 really good team left with a couple just behind them.   CC Calallen is probably the best with Argyle and  Sinton not far behind.   Sinton plays CC in the regional final.   I don’t think reg 3 is much.   Rusk #1 guy is good but that’s it.   Region 2 plays about the same.    No team is great,  just 4 that are very similar.   

I'm not so sure about Argyle being in that category........they know how to play "clean" and do capitalize on their opponents weaknesses.  I'd say they are two yrs away from having a really "loaded" team again......personnel-wise.  They are just very young right now and can be beat by a more seasoned and mature good baseball club.  They have lost this season to the good teams in higher classifications early in the season.   I guess they are very good for 4A......they can compete at this level.

Stephenville defeats Riverside 6-0 in Game 2 for the sweep and advances to the Region 1 Final to meet Argyle.  Stephenville and Argyle have not played each other in baseball.......at least not anytime in the recent past.  I'll look it up, but I don't remember Argyle playing Stephenville in the past 4-5 yrs.

Looks like Argyle has only played Stephenville once in baseball thru all these years.  That happened in 2019 when Argyle went 40-1-1 and their 2nd consecutive State/National Championship......they swept Stephenville in the 2nd round in a 2 game series.  I went all the way back to 2008 and could not find any other games against Stephenville on the schedules.

Stephenville has some of those good football players on their team this season......a couple of really really athletic guys that are seniors.  This should prove to be a very competitive final in Region 1.  Stephenville has had no problem putting away the competition in each round so far.  Something tells me they may be underrated and under the radar all season.

If Argyle was in a league of Under 17........they might be the best team in the state, LOL.  That's how young they are. But they play pretty darn good for their experience.......I think they lost all those games to the higher classifications early in the season because they did lack the experience and confidence against more mature and experienced pretty good competition.  But going back and looking at those losses......they only lost by one run to every team except the first game of the season......and lost that one 6-4.  So not too bad for a team with so many young guys.

7 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

If Argyle was in a league of Under 17........they might be the best team in the state, LOL.  That's how young they are. But they play pretty darn good for their experience.......I think they lost all those games to the higher classifications early in the season because they did lack the experience and confidence against more mature and experienced pretty good competition.  But going back and looking at those losses......they only lost by one run to every team except the first game of the season......and lost that one 6-4.  So not too bad for a team with so many young guys.

On May 1st.......Argyle scheduled one of those "warm-up" games during the playoffs with Whitehouse and lost 9-3......their biggest loss of the season.  I don't know the particulars of that game......it just showed up on the schedule as one of those fill-in type games to keep the schedule going and the team playing until the next playoff round.

18 hours ago, BlackShirtD said:

You don’t get to this point in the playoffs with one “good pitcher”. Rusk has a very good defense and they have a pretty good lineup. Their #2 pitcher has pitched 20 innings in the playoffs and given up one run, including 6 scoreless vs China Spring. Their #1 pitcher would be the Ace on every team left in the playoffs.
Anything can happen in the playoffs but I wouldn’t count Region 2 or 3 teams out of the title conversation just yet. 

I'm sure that Argyle has one pitcher on staff that they like to lean on the most, but I'm not sure that Argyle has what you would consider as an "ace" like they've had in past seasons.  They have depth and lots of guys that can throw strikes consistently.  I think they depend on the defense to play clean and do a good job of turning double plays for a high school team.  The pitching staff is far from the quality of past title teams.

I  looked up Stephenville's baseball roster this season.......they have 10 seniors, 6 juniors and one soph. listed.  I recognized some of those names from their football team......and I'ma thinking the one soph. that was listed was one of those.

Stephenville(26-8-1) has swept every series in the playoffs in 2 games just like Argyle(29-9-0).  They have taken down some good teams with seeming ease.  They beat Vernon, Decatur, Graham and Riverside to get to this final.  Argyle has beat FW Diamond Hill Jarvis, Burkburnett, Benbrook, and Andrews.  Neither team has a loss in the playoffs.

Here's an interesting stat for Argyle during these playoffs:  79 Runs scored,  3 runs allowed in 8 games played so far.  That's averaging right at 10 runs per game.  The 3 runs total they gave up were meaningless.  I hope they keep it up.

In Stephenville's 8 games played so far......they have scored 57 while allowing 20.  Not too shabby either.  They may have traveled a tougher playoff route than Argyle........difficult to say.  But the stats say they are averaging over 7 runs per game so far.

4 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Here's an interesting stat for Argyle during these playoffs:  79 Runs scored,  3 runs allowed in 8 games played so far.  That's averaging right at 10 runs per game.  The 3 runs total they gave up were meaningless.  I hope they keep it up.

In Stephenville's 8 games played so far......they have scored 57 while allowing 20.  Not too shabby either.  They may have traveled a tougher playoff route than Argyle........difficult to say.  But the stats say they are averaging over 7 runs per game so far.

Wow, very impressive on the mound.   Always been an Argyle fan from afar.  Good luck against the Jackets.