Tucker Carlson Rips On GOP House Minority Leader for Living Arrangement

BarryLaverty

Nice to see him taking time off from attacking BLM and carrying water for white nationalists to attack a Republican for his hypocrisy. 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/house-gop-leader-kevin-mccarthy-124216435.html

The Week

House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy apparently pays $1,500 to live in a 12-bedroom, 16-bath penthouse

Peter Weber

e123be4548261b757f7f050b61dfd383

Tucker Carlson was right: House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) is living in the Washington, D.C., penthouse of Republican pollster and messaging maven Frank Luntz, and it does sound like a pretty sweet deal. Carlson was tipped off to the roommate arrangement, and McCarthy confirmed it Tuesday, telling Fox & Friends he has "rented a room from Frank for a couple of months, but don't worry, I'm back to — going back to where I normally am, on my couch in my office. But, yes, we pay fair market rate"

Washington Post fact-checker Glenn Kessler looked into Luntz's apartment, and it's actually a 7,000-square-foot, 12-bedroom, 16-bathroom amalgamation of 4 three-story penthouses Luntz purchased for nearly $4.3 million in August and September 2018 and merged in November 2019. The homeowner's association fees on the four units is $4,976 a month, Kessler calculates, citing Redfin.

Neither McCarthy nor Luntz responded to the Post's request for comment, but a McCarthy spokesman told the Daily Wire the minority leader "calculated the fair market value amount at $1,500/month" to rent an "approximately" 400-square-foot room in Luntz's penthouse. Kessler's Apartments.com search found that a comparable studio or one-bedroom would run about $5,000 a month. Regardless, he writes, "besides the 'room' he rented, McCarthy would have had access to a 24/7 concierge, a rooftop pool, a fitness center, a media room, a business center, and a party room with a bar and pool table."

"This is quite a deal, especially considering that Luntz has talked about how he's on the road all the time," Politico muses. "Imagine paying $1,500 a month for what is essentially a mansion carved into a high-rise? It's good to be the minority leader!"

Carlson was less amused by the "sleazy and corrupt" arrangement. "Kevin McCarthy promises Republicans he shares their values" and "will fight for them against permanent Washington, the forces that would like to destroy their lives," he said. "And at the end of the day, Kevin McCarthy goes home to Frank Luntz's apartment in Penn Quarter and laughs about it."

So if the renter leased all 12 bedrooms out at $1500 a month he would receive $18000 a month from his tenants.  That seems reasonable to me.  Why it needs 16 bathrooms is beyond me, but I suppose if each room housed a couple that would be 32 people.  I know some apartments still have only one bathroom per floor.  At least that was the case when I thought about moving to Honolulu, Hawaii.  One such apartment complex had 8 rooms on each floor with only one bathroom for all residents to use, and the rent was $700 a month back in 1996.  I wouldn't even pay $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom place.  I'm unsure if the bathrooms are for each room, but I would suppose they are.