Top RB sitting out senior season?

BuckNut

3 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

This seems pretty crazy to me. Where does this end?  Can't practice because you might get hurt before the game?  Certainly his choice to play or not but I wouldn't want him as a teammate.

It's still their choice though. Not understanding why so many are triggered by choices that have zero effect on them.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

It's still their choice though. Not understanding why so many are triggered by choices that have zero effect on them.

I'm certainly not triggered.  It does seem crazy though.  Players could use the same excuse not to practice.  I said it was his choice though.

6 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Well this only lets me know that selfish is not always a bad thing. The only people he owes consideration to is himself and his family.

It’s never a good thing when you play a team sport. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I remember a player going on vacation with his girl friend instead of helping his team win a state championship. 
He was one of the best players on the team and it was the state championship game. 
I disagree with you guys that say it’s ok, it is his choice. 
What happened to brotherhood and having each other’s back on the playing field. High school football is a once in a life time experience. 

Just now, cowboyandchrist said:

I remember a player going on vacation with his girl friend instead of helping his team win a state championship. 
He was one of the best players on the team and it was the state championship game. 
I disagree with you guys that say it’s ok, it is his choice. 
What happened to brotherhood and having each other’s back on the playing field. High school football is a once in a life time experience. 

Sitting out a state championship game versus sitting out a season and letting your coach know that you going to sit out are different things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2021 at 8:44 PM, MrBuddyGarrity said:

Personally I see no issue. Nobody but him, his guardians and football program knows the story. If anyone has an issue with it in my opinion contact his guardians and coaches. Hopefully it isn't an issue with his knee, which is well documented from his younger days. 

I'm a hs football coach and if an athlete said that to me, all I can do is respect. He gave them AMPLE  notice

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ctown81 said:

I'm a hs football coach and if an athlete said that to me, all I can do is respect. He gave them AMPLE  notice

You are right.  He gave them notice, that's not the issue.  If he were going to be in college at this time, then that is great, but he will be roaming the halls of the high school.  It is totally his decision, and I know he is doing what he thinks is right for him.  I feel like he is getting bad guidance and will regret missing this season with his friends down the road.  

It is his decision to make along with the guidance of his family, there is no arguing that.  We have the right to disagree with it.  It is one more symptom of a "me first" society that we live in today, and it's the reason that so many of us have stopped watching professional sports.

• Like 3

I could easily see a parent(s) put a maximum touches a game for their son who plays RB.   Tell the coach, I will be counting his carries and catches and when they reach 20(or whatever number) he is done for that game.  
Not saying that is perfect, but better than sitting out the year. 

If I was a recruiter for a major college and I was looking for a running back, I would steer clear of this "me first" prima donna  ...  too many possible red flags ... if the kid is afraid of getting hurt in a high school game, what similar issues might arise at the college level? ....  I'm looking for team leaders, not someone that might let his team down when he is really needed to step up .... sorry, but I would pass on this kid .....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KirtFalcon said:

If I was a recruiter for a major college and I was looking for a running back, I would steer clear of this "me first" prima donna  ...  too many possible red flags ... if the kid is afraid of getting hurt in a high school game, what similar issues might arise at the college level? ....  I'm looking for team leaders, not someone that might let his team down when he is really needed to step up .... sorry, but I would pass on this kid .....

I respect that but colleges have a me first mentality. 

1 hour ago, ctown81 said:

I respect that but colleges have a me first mentality. 

They are looking at the big picture,  not coddling individual players.  They are looking for team players who will step up and rise to the occasion, not cower afraid of possibly injuring themselves .... football is a violent contact sport, especially for a running back .... you have to play with abandon without "saving yourself" for the future ...

3 minutes ago, KirtFalcon said:

They are looking at the big picture,  not coddling individual players.  They are looking for team players who will step up and rise to the occasion, not cower afraid of possibly injuring themselves .... football is a violent contact sport, especially for a running back .... you have to play with abandon without "saving yourself" for the future ...

What if he is not good enough to play DI football. 
A guy I played with at Carthage back in the seventies was recruited by a DI school. He came home and I asked him why. He told me that he had never been hit so hard and everyone was bigger stronger and faster.  He said I just was not good enough. I respected him for his honesty. He did end playing DII ball and got a good education. 
How many guys get recruited and you never see them on the field. 

On 6/14/2021 at 5:06 PM, cowboyandchrist said:

What if he is not good enough to play DI football. 
A guy I played with at Carthage back in the seventies was recruited by a DI school. He came home and I asked him why. He told me that he had never been hit so hard and everyone was bigger stronger and faster.  He said I just was not good enough. I respected him for his honesty. He did end playing DII ball and got a good education. 
How many guys get recruited and you never see them on the field. 

A ton of them but it's usually their fault due to lack of research. They pick teams that don't suit their playing time or schools that recruited 3 other 4 or 5 star players at your position. 

12 hours ago, ctown81 said:

A ton of them but it's usually their fault due to lack of research. They pick teams that don't suit their playing time or schools that recruited 3 other 4 or 5 star players at your position. 

My point was, missing your senior year with all your friends. There is nothing like Friday night lights. 
What if he is not good enough for DI ball. He can never get his senior year back. Just my opinion. 

18 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

My point was, missing your senior year with all your friends. There is nothing like Friday night lights. 
What if he is not good enough for DI ball. He can never get his senior year back. Just my opinion. 

All those are things you value. If he's not good enough, maybe he has other interests. 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 4:53 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Colleges see players as commodities and that's it. These athletic directors and coaches are not putting their bodies at risk. Talking about a kid cowering is sickening to me. Not even a grown man. Football may not even be this kid's end all be all.