'Mark Cuban, Why Did You Get the Vaccine?'

BarryLaverty

(Continuing a series.)

Why did you get the COVID vaccine? We asked a number of Texans this question, and we will publish their responses on these pages in the coming weeks. Find the full project at dallasnews.com/opinion.

Mark Cuban, owner of the Dallas Mavericks
I got vaccinated because I love my country. I got vaccinated because I love my family. I got vaccinated because the only way to stop the spread of Covid and end all the pain and tragedy it has brought to the country I love and the world is to get vaccinated, and I strongly encourage all patriotic Americans to do the same.

Dominique Artis, Dallas Fire Chief
Outside of my duties as fire chief, my primary responsibilities come as a father and a husband. My number one reason for getting vaccinated against COVID-19 was to ensure the safety of my family. On the same note, as the leader of the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department, it is also my sworn duty to ensure the safety of the DFR family.

The command staff and medical direction team worked diligently to provide the latest science-based information, while incorporating multiple changes to our emergency response procedures and clinical practice guidelines, to ensure the protection of our nearly 2.000 members. Considering the 500-plus who tested positive for the virus over the duration of the pandemic, it was vital that I took initiative to show that the vaccine was not only safe, but that it would be the most significant step toward fostering herd immunity and getting back to some sense of normalcy.

More than anything, however, I felt it was important to get vaccinated so our members understood that I would not ask them to do anything I wasn’t willing to do myself. December 29 marked the first day DFR began vaccinating its own members, and I made sure to be among the first in line.

Since then, we have fully vaccinated at least half of our members, with several others choosing to get the vaccine on their own. While I can’t speak to how much of a factor my example played in those members choosing to get vaccinated, I hope the guidance we have given has allowed them to make an informed decision regarding what they feel is best for themselves and their loved ones.

Robert Jeffress, pastor of First Baptist Church, Dallas (YUUUUUUGE Trump Supporter)
At this point in time, the greatest risk to Christians is the spiritual risk of continued isolation. It’s not normal for Christians to be separated from one another. Instead, we need to all be back together in church as soon as possible. In Hebrews 10, the Bible urges us “not to forsake the assembling together of ourselves” and reminds us that living in isolation can easily become an unhealthy habit.

While some people may have legitimate reasons for not being vaccinated, no one should refuse the vaccine for political reasons. We shouldn’t see vaccination as a Democrat or Republican initiative, but view it as an American effort to get our nation back to normalcy.

At First Baptist Dallas we are not trying to force anyone to be vaccinated—that is a personal choice. But vaccination is the quickest way for Christians to come back to church safely so that we can enjoy the encouragement we all need that comes from worshipping together.

I imagine that everyone has their OWN reason for getting the vaccine or NOT getting the vaccine. 

My reason was more personal to me, but I really don't care why others get or NOT get the vaccine, it is their CHOICE--just like you talked about the other day Barry. 

CHOICE, CHOICE, CHOICE!!!!!!

37 minutes ago, DannyZuco said:

I imagine that everyone has their OWN reason for getting the vaccine or NOT getting the vaccine. 

My reason was more personal to me, but I really don't care why others get or NOT get the vaccine, it is their CHOICE--just like you talked about the other day Barry. 

Except for schools!!!

Just kidding! , TRUCE! i just couldn’t resist!✌️

• LOL! 3

3 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Or you can just not get vaccinated, and go back to church

We never stopped coming together on the first day of the week.......vaccinated or not....

Matthew 22:21 English Standard Version (ESV)

21 They said, “Caesar's.” Then he said to them, “Therefore render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's, and to God the things that are God's.”

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Government does not get to dictate our worship.......

But apparently they get to dictate your medical treatments.  Or at least try and do it from behind the government shadows

6 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

Like school choice?

• Grumpy 1