6÷2(1+2)=

KirtFalcon

Saw this on Facebook and I have never seen so much disagreement on anything in my life.  There were 175K replies with answers all over the place.  I know what I think the answer is, but I'm about to run it through my son who has a masters degree in mathematics and teaches high school math.  I'll  post my answer as soon as he "grades" my solution.  @RETIREDFAN1 I'm sure will chime in soon with the correct answer, too ... feel free to take your own shot at it ....

On 5/26/2021 at 3:18 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Saw this on Facebook and I have never seen so much disagreement on anything in my life.  There were 175K replies with answers all over the place.  I know what I think the answer is, but I'm about to run it through my son who has a masters degree in mathematics and teaches high school math.  I'll  post my answer as soon as he "grades" my solution.  @RETIREDFAN1 I'm sure will chime in soon with the correct answer, too ... feel free to take your own shot at it ....

Still waiting......😂😂😂

• 2 weeks later...

Let’s see if I remember this. You work the parentheses first. (1+2) = 3. The parentheses is by the 2 which would be multiplying the 2 & 3? If I do that I get 6. So 6/6= 1? Am I right?

4 hours ago, Stoney said:

Let’s see if I remember this. You work the parentheses first. (1+2) = 3. The parentheses is by the 2 which would be multiplying the 2 & 3? If I do that I get 6. So 6/6= 1? Am I right?

Nope....PEMDAS.....you gotta go 6÷2 then multiply by 3.......all the math goes from left to right......that is 9.....

1 hour ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

Nope....PEMDAS.....you gotta go 6÷2 then multiply by 3.......all the math goes from left to right......that is 9.....

Fan, I put the DA in PEMDAS in high school. If it wasn’t for Chelsea and Misty I’d have never solved X.

• LOL! 1

This reminds me of a rather heated discussion I had on a different (unrelated) forum a few years back about how to "illustrate" 5 x 3. The argument stemmed from the fact that a girl got it wrong on a math worksheet, and I was arguing in defense of her answer (which was correct).

My argument is that it is basically 5, three times.

Others argued that no, it's really "five groups of three".

So I tried a different tactic. 5 x 3 is this (five, three times):

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

and not this:

XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX

I can't help it if they got upset because I was right. But they did.

24 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

This reminds me of a rather heated discussion I had on a different (unrelated) forum a few years back about how to "illustrate" 5 x 3. The argument stemmed from the fact that a girl got it wrong on a math worksheet, and I was arguing in defense of her answer (which was correct).

My argument is that it is basically 5, three times.

Others argued that no, it's really "five groups of three".

So I tried a different tactic. 5 x 3 is this (five, three times):

XXXXX
XXXXX
XXXXX

and not this:

XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX
XXX

I can't help it if they got upset because I was right. But they did.

They got it bass ackwards, but in the end, they arrived at the correct answer.😜

Just now, CarthDawg77 said:

They got it bass ackwards, but in the end, they arrived at the correct answer.😜

The problem is, they count off for "process", and since the girl was counted off because she did it right, that's where I had the problem.

Just now, CarthDawg77 said:

Details, details, details....To me, the sum is the same, no matter the path taken.🤨

For instance, we went on vacation last week, & our last stop was in Boulder, Colorado. I used Google earth to determine the way home; It provided me with three routes. Each route was going to take 14+ hours to arrive home; the Shortest route was 795 miles, although it would take me through many small towns with many stops. The longest was Interstate all the way with a distance of 1051 miles. In the end, I took the long route, because even though it cost more in fuel, my Goal was to get home & rest & stopping at every red light in every town was not something I was going to do!😂

53 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

😂😂😂

My algebra teacher told us how Geometry got it’s name; She told us there once was a tiny acorn which fell from a mighty Oak tree... Later, the acorn sprouted and began to grow. In a few years, it’s branches began to grow long & sturdy until one day the sapling looked out on itself & said, “Gee! I’m a Tree!”😳 

I paid little attention to Anything else she had to say from that moment on...🤨

• LOL! 1