The USFL Is Back

12 minutes ago, Stoney said:
11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

If they bring back the Houston Gamblers and the Run & Shoot, I will buy season tickets sight-unseen. 

I am absolutely serious. 

1 minute ago, LOL said:

If they bring back the Houston Gamblers and the Run & Shoot, I will buy season tickets sight-unseen. 

I am absolutely serious. 

I’ve gotta find it but somebody posted the 8 team list. Guess who was on there? 😁

• Like 1

Sketchy source but Houston Gamblers, Memphis Showboats, Tampa Bay Bandits. Take my money.  @LOL have you read “Football for a Buck?” It’s the most absolute bonkers behind the scenes stuff you ever heard. Players racing to cash checks before they bounced. Rats the size of horses. George Allen. The Trumpster. Fascinating stuff. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RETIREDFAN1 said:

as long as they don't bow at the altar of libnuts and BLM i'll watch it.....

If they're smart (from a marketing perspective) they'll push for a more "traditional" approach to promoting the league.

Not BLM or MAGA or WWE, but classic NFL. Completely politics-free. 

3 minutes ago, LOL said:

If they're smart (from a marketing perspective) they'll push for a more "traditional" approach to promoting the league.

Slow-mo shots and the whiskey-soaked voice of John Facenda... 

12 minutes ago, LOL said:

I’m not sure how much of it Fox owns. If it’s a majority of it, that could happen. Just straight forward football for people who watch for the game, not the politics.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

The autumn wind is a pirate....

Real talk though...  if the USFL leans in on a more "retro" feel, they will come up BIG in revenue and ratings. 

Just saying. 

4 minutes ago, LOL said:

Real talk though...  if the USFL leans in on a more "retro" feel, they will come up BIG in revenue and ratings. 

Just saying. 

It’s the perfect vehicle for it. You saw what people liked about the XFL2.0. It had a little bit of that vibe. The broadcast was purely game focused. No Chinese boot licking. No rainbow footballs. No kneeling. If the QB play is good enough to make the games exciting to watch it’ll work. Bring in the classic teams and logos. They’ll make money hand over fist. I’d be swagged out in this gear.

3A811F7F-E02F-4A12-BD1F-1D615E1721C3.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Stoney said:

It’s the perfect vehicle for it. You saw what people liked about the XFL2.0. It had a little bit of that vibe. The broadcast was purely game focused. No Chinese boot licking. No rainbow footballs. No kneeling. If the QB play is good enough to make the games exciting to watch it’ll work. Bring in the classic teams and logos. They’ll make money hand over fist. I’d be swagged out in this gear.

There is such an easy way to success, I cannot believe no one has tried it... 

Just go on YouTube and search "classic NFL" and look at the thousands and millions of views those clips of old games are getting. There are regular season games between sub-.500 teams that have hundreds of thousands of views. There are old NFL Films episodes that have hundreds of thousands of views. Also keep in mind how *young* the YouTube audience skews (under 35). There's an audience for it. 

The USFL doesn't need to try to be "hip" or "edgy" and they don't have to go "MAGA" either, they just have to deliver a solid product. Don't try to curate "viral" moments. Instead pour your resources into talent and structure. Production value needs to be high, both in front of and behind the camera. Focus on the fact that sports fans respect athleticism, talent, and compelling storylines of achievement in the face of adversity. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I'd rather the Gilmer Buckeyes use this old logo instead of the stupid Green Bay logo.  They just have to move the star further north.  

It’s a great logo. I’m getting a cap if/when they come out.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stoney said:

It’s a great logo. I’m getting a cap if/when they come out.

Speaking of logos...  one thing for sure that does NOT need to be "updated" is the USFL logo. From a design perspective it's perfect

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LOL said:

Speaking of logos...  one thing for sure that does NOT need to be "updated" is the USFL logo. From a design perspective it's perfect

It’s classic. It’s an all time logo.

• Like 1

Be interesting to see what their business model is. The original USFL went head to head with the NFL for top talent...with NFL salaries so high now days it is hard to believe a start up could do that today. No matter...I watched the original USFL and I will watch this incarnation also.

3 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Be interesting to see what their business model is. The original USFL went head to head with the NFL for top talent...with NFL salaries so high now days it is hard to believe a start up could do that today. No matter...I watched the original USFL and I will watch this incarnation also.

Yeah, they gotta avoid the mistakes of the past...  

First, avoid a bidding war. Create a feasible salary structure. Give franchises options to offer financial incentives/bonuses, but keep the base salaries standardized and realistic. In the beginning there's no way you're gonna lure away top NFL talent. And you don't need to. There's plenty of undrafted/unsigned free agents out there to fill your rosters at the outset. 

Second, stay in the Spring. There's no reason in the world to try to go head-to-head with the NFL, at least not yet. Start small. Create a niche. Focus on developing your product in manageable scale, and the viewers will find you. And don't let some Yankee loudmouth try to strong-arm you into a pissing match with a billion-dollar organization. Learn from your own history, and don't repeat it.