Carthage Marshall Evangel Waskom 7 on 7 League

centex1

11 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Have to say I’m surprised Evangel is still being part of this, with has bad as things have gotten over there (just from reading things on the Louisiana board).

Duron is still involved so I am sure that is why. He is trying to keep them relevant and bring them back to their old status. They also have Josh Booty's son as their QB. I know that doesn't mean anything and he is his onw person, just throwing that tidbit out there.

1 hour ago, DeBerryJacket said:

Duron is still involved so I am sure that is why. He is trying to keep them relevant and bring them back to their old status. They also have Josh Booty's son as their QB. I know that doesn't mean anything and he is his onw person, just throwing that tidbit out there.

Makes sense.

The Louisiana board made it sound like the situation was so bad that they wouldn't have a football program within the next five years.

19 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Makes sense.

The Louisiana board made it sound like the situation was so bad that they wouldn't have a football program within the next five years.

It is pretty bad though. I don't think Duron getting back involved is going to help the situation much. Evangel screwed up about 7-10 years ago when they began accepting state vouchers for students. They began getting a lot of students that has been the total opposite of the type of student they had at the school in the past and the program has steadily declined since then. They hired a new coach last summer and fired him after the second or third game into the season. Duron came back in to the picture and took over. I think it's too late for Duron to make a difference. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DeBerryJacket said:

It is pretty bad though. I don't think Duron getting back involved is going to help the situation much. Evangel screwed up about 7-10 years ago when they began accepting state vouchers for students. They began getting a lot of students that has been the total opposite of the type of student they had at the school in the past and the program has steadily declined since then. They hired a new coach last summer and fired him after the second or third game into the season. Duron came back in to the picture and took over. I think it's too late for Duron to make a difference. 

Evangel situation is bad.   I don't think they won a game last yr.  But I don't think the voucher program is the issue. If anything, that may have helped them some.

The main thing that hurt them was/is Calvary.  Also, the Shreveport area schools (on the Texas and Louisiana sides) have gotten much better in football over the past decade. You got Carthage, Waskom, Byrd, Parkway, Shreve, Northwood, Haughton etc. These kids don't have to go to Evangel anymore to win.  I knew they were in trouble when I saw how bad their numbers have went down and when they opted to drop down in class.  Lots of people are saying they are on their last leg. I think they can bounce back some this yr, but I think Calvary has taken their spot in Shreveport.

• Like 1

Calvary took ECA’s blueprint.. improved it… and (from what I’ve heard) played a much cleaner game both on and off the field. 

ECA always seemed to put a bad taste in peoples mouths after they played them. The politics. The condescension of the fans. The dirty play veiled with the banner of Christ. Rubbed people the wrong way.  But when people would bring it up….. it was labeled “sour grapes”. 

You don’t really hear any of that with Calvary.

No 20 year old seniors players playing JV and varsity.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Evangel situation is bad.   I don't think they won a game last yr.  But I don't think the voucher program is the issue. If anything, that may have helped them some.

The main thing that hurt them was/is Calvary.  Also, the Shreveport area schools (on the Texas and Louisiana sides) have gotten much better in football over the past decade. You got Carthage, Waskom, Byrd, Parkway, Shreve, Northwood, Haughton etc. These kids don't have to go to Evangel anymore to win.  I knew they were in trouble when I saw how bad their numbers have went down and when they opted to drop down in class.  Lots of people are saying they are on their last leg. I think they can bounce back some this yr, but I think Calvary has taken their spot in Shreveport.

I agree. You are correct. I still think the voucher program had something to do with it though. They still had quality coaches at Evangel. The type of players that the voucher program attracted was the payers the Northwoods, Shreves, Byrds, etc. were glad to see go. Cancers inside their programs left and entered Evangel. Calvary has definitely taken their spot. Calvary has former Evangel players as assistant coaches and heavily involved parents/boosters. Calvary really got cranked up when Evangel and the Duron's had a falling out with the Booty's and a couple of more Evangel guys. They high tailed it to Calvary and Calvary has evolved since then. 

John Bachman, a former head coach at both Calvary and Evangel stepped down recently from his job at Red River High School and is now an assistant at Evangel. They are trying to get back to somewhat of what they were. One of John's sons is the o coordinator at Pine Tree.

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Calvary took ECA’s blueprint.. improved it… and (from what I’ve heard) played a much cleaner game both on and off the field. 

ECA always seemed to put a bad taste in peoples mouths after they played them. The politics. The condescension of the fans. The dirty play veiled with the banner of Christ. Rubbed people the wrong way.  But when people would bring it up….. it was labeled “sour grapes”. 

You are correct about Calvary. I agree 100% what you said about Evangel. I had two really good friends that went there and they both went thru the 8+ program. Went thru 8th grade twice. The second time thru 8th grade, they did nothing but lift weights, go to football, and work around the school and sports fields. 

21 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Evangel was basically trying to be what IMG has become.  They are one of the main reasons. LHSAA did the split.  But honestly that needed to happen anyway.

As far as the older players.  Lots of schools have been doing this.  West Monroe and Neville have been doing it for decades.  As a matter of fact, several yrs ago the Monroe newspaper wrote something about West Monroe doing this.  They don't hide the fact that they hold kids back a grade on purpose.  I think USA Today wrote a piece about schools doing this too.  Its crazy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DeBerryJacket said:

I agree. You are correct. I still think the voucher program had something to do with it though. They still had quality coaches at Evangel. The type of players that the voucher program attracted was the payers the Northwoods, Shreves, Byrds, etc. were glad to see go. Cancers inside their programs left and entered Evangel. Calvary has definitely taken their spot. Calvary has former Evangel players as assistant coaches and heavily involved parents/boosters. Calvary really got cranked up when Evangel and the Duron's had a falling out with the Booty's and a couple of more Evangel guys. They high tailed it to Calvary and Calvary has evolved since then. 

John Bachman, a former head coach at both Calvary and Evangel stepped down recently from his job at Red River High School and is now an assistant at Evangel. They are trying to get back to somewhat of what they were. One of John's sons is the o coordinator at Pine Tree.

You are correct about Calvary. I agree 100% what you said about Evangel. I had two really good friends that went there and they both went thru the 8+ program. Went thru 8th grade twice. The second time thru 8th grade, they did nothing but lift weights, go to football, and work around the school and sports fields. 

Yea, I saw that about John Bachman last night.    

Also, I think Evangel had no choice but to get into the voucher system.  Alot of money left the school and that was the only way they could get these players, because many of them went there on "scholarships". 

The hold back thing is crazy. West Monroe used to hold the kids back in 8th grade, but the parents from other schools started complaining because they were playing against the same kids at the middle school level.  So the Ouachita Parish school board said they had to stop, so they do it at 5th grade now...lol

• Like 1