Dave Campbell 2021 2A D1 top 10

lionpride08

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

And their QB is a load running the ball.  Tim Tebow-ish.  He is a Sr.  Very nice 1-2 punch at the 2A level.  If their OL can block a little bit Beckville will be tough to stop offensively.

This^^ the o-line to me is always a problem for beckville. It’s just not up to snuff. They could pass the ball a little better as well, but they are better at it than they have been in most years past. 

2 hours ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Hard to throw them in the top 10 when their region faired so poorly. Beckville gets beat 55-14 in regional by Timpson, then Shiner beat Timpson 49-7. Just doesn't look like a very stout region. 

Edit: With that being said, Lindsay is #10 so I can see them sneaking in possibly. 

I do think they are good enough to be ranked in top 10, but I absolutely see your point. 

I honestly thought beckville was going to compete better against Timpson than they did last year. Partly because Beckville took out some stiff competition, highly ranked teams on their way to that Timpson matchup. I then also thought Timpson was going compete with Shiner and felt incredibly silly afterwards. 🥴

1 minute ago, mikehoncho said:

I do think they are good enough to be ranked in top 10, but I absolutely see your point. 

I honestly thought beckville was going to compete better against Timpson than they did last year. Partly because Beckville took out some stiff competition, highly ranked teams on their way to that Timpson matchup. I then also thought Timpson was going compete with Shiner and felt incredibly silly afterwards. 🥴

Haha it just be that way sometimes. With kids this age, it's hard to predict anything. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

To be fair, I think Shiner was on a whole different level from pretty much the rest of AA in 2020. We’ll see if Refugio lives up to that #1 ranking. AA D1 has kinda become the Refugio/ Shiner/ Mason show the last few years. I’d love to see someone bust that up, especially a R3 team. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

You really think that? They got blown out by canadian last year..

Yes sir I do. Gunter didn't get blown out. Dang sure got whipped in many parts of that game but this group has gotten much better, they have gotten much stronger and they just don't lose back to back seasons very often. I don't see anyone stopping this train, not even Franklin. Except for Newton, teams on that side of the bracket rarely survive back to back title appearances, they usually get "upset" before then and won't be surprised when it happens again. Just hope everyone stays healthy. Good luck!

2 hours ago, Eagle22 said:

Yes sir I do. Gunter didn't get blown out. Dang sure got whipped in many parts of that game but this group has gotten much better, they have gotten much stronger and they just don't lose back to back seasons very often. I don't see anyone stopping this train, not even Franklin. Except for Newton, teams on that side of the bracket rarely survive back to back title appearances, they usually get "upset" before then and won't be surprised when it happens again. Just hope everyone stays healthy. Good luck!

Probably because this side of the bracket is alot tougher... Btw didnt newton go to state back to back a few years ago? Imo gunter is not on Franklin level this year. They bring back the house and have gotten stronger and better as well. Heck we are not even a passing team and blew out yall in 7 on 7 in our first year to play. Gonna get real when the pads come on

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

To be fair, I think Shiner was on a whole different level from pretty much the rest of AA in 2020. We’ll see if Refugio lives up to that #1 ranking. AA D1 has kinda become the Refugio/ Shiner/ Mason show the last few years. I’d love to see someone bust that up, especially a R3 team. 

No doubt Shiner was a dream team...graduated 20 seniors...it will be interesting to see what they look like this year.   Could this be the year a region 3 team breaks up the Refugio/Shiner party?? Sho hope so!!! 

3 hours ago, Bear9T1 said:

No doubt Shiner was a dream team...graduated 20 seniors...it will be interesting to see what they look like this year.   Could this be the year a region 3 team breaks up the Refugio/Shiner party?? Sho hope so!!! 

I'll say a firm "no."  It won't be the year for Region 3 to break it up for Region 4.  The disparity has been too great for a number of years and Shiner will still be strong this year, Refugio will be stronger than last year.  The best thing for my Region 3 friends would be to not make any bold predictions as they've done over the years.  Keep the chest pounding down, lull R4 into a sense of comfort, then show what R3 has on the field.  I know that's what the coaches and most players do.

• Thumbs Down 1

On 6/17/2021 at 5:16 PM, trueblue82 said:

Beckville should be ranked in the top 10. They bring back almost everyone from a regional finalist team. 

I can't see Beckville being there.  They got beat down hard by Timpson and then Timpson beat down by Shiner.  Beckville wasn't top 10 in 2020.

1 hour ago, Everide2016 said:

I'll say a firm "no."  It won't be the year for Region 3 to break it up for Region 4.  The disparity has been too great for a number of years and Shiner will still be strong this year, Refugio will be stronger than last year.  The best thing for my Region 3 friends would be to not make any bold predictions as they've done over the years.  Keep the chest pounding down, lull R4 into a sense of comfort, then show what R3 has on the field.  I know that's what the coaches and most players do.

You can say whatever you like...it’s a free country... its gonna be nice to prove you wrong on your “firm” no.  Thanks for the tips though, what an honor to receive such constructive criticism and advice from a you..... HA!!!

10 hours ago, lionpride08 said:

Probably because this side of the bracket is alot tougher... Btw didnt newton go to state back to back a few years ago? Imo gunter is not on Franklin level this year. They bring back the house and have gotten stronger and better as well. Heck we are not even a passing team and blew out yall in 7 on 7 in our first year to play. Gonna get real when the pads come on

I’ll disagree on that side being tougher, no disrespect to Franklin. Gunter is real fast this year, but would like to see them pass more to utilize the athletes. With the skill they have at receiver and QB, a traditional spread would be a better fit than the pistol option (run heavy). 

7 on 7 means absolutely nothing. We throw the ball more than most, and have 3 state championships in the past 6 years. Don’t think we have ever qualified for 7 on 7. 

30 minutes ago, Airitout1 said:

I’ll disagree on that side being tougher, no disrespect to Franklin. Gunter is real fast this year, but would like to see them pass more to utilize the athletes. With the skill they have at receiver and QB, a traditional spread would be a better fit than the pistol option (run heavy). 

7 on 7 means absolutely nothing. We throw the ball more than most, and have 3 state championships in the past 6 years. Don’t think we have ever qualified for 7 on 7. 

Look at the playoff scores for waskom and Franklin... Then look at them for Canadian and gunter. I seen multi region 2 playoff teams last year and no one would have completed in another region. Been that way for awhile. Every since Waskom WR ect moves to region 3 gunter has been having a field day in region 2. Guess we will see how the season plays out right now I got region 1 Canadian/Childress region 2 Gunter region 3 Waskom/Newton region 4 Franklin

1 hour ago, lionpride08 said:

Look at the playoff scores for waskom and Franklin... Then look at them for Canadian and gunter. I seen multi region 2 playoff teams last year and no one would have completed in another region. Been that way for awhile. Every since Waskom WR ect moves to region 3 gunter has been having a field day in region 2. Guess we will see how the season plays out right now I got region 1 Canadian/Childress region 2 Gunter region 3 Waskom/Newton region 4 Franklin

Reg 2 is down. It’s Holliday and Gunter, but mostly Gunter. No disrespect, but region 3 is not near as physical as 1 or 2. 4 only had EB until y’all moved down. Comparing scores doesn’t work. Different offenses being ran. I think this year comes to GT and Franklin, but I won’t discount GT at all. 

18 hours ago, Bear9T1 said:

You can say whatever you like...it’s a free country... its gonna be nice to prove you wrong on your “firm” no.  Thanks for the tips though, what an honor to receive such constructive criticism and advice from a you..... HA!!!

I don’t like it any better than you do, but facts are facts. The only Region 3 team to win a 2A D1 semifinal since 2008 was Mart, who is no longer in D1. Region 4 has our number. Top to bottom, I think the competition in R3 is better, but those top 3 in R4 (Mason, Shiner, Refugio) are monsters. How would a 2020 Timpson, or a 2017-19 San Augustine fare in R4? How would one of those big 3 look after a district schedule that includes say, Garrison, Joaquin, and San Augustine? We’ll never know without seeing some of our top teams take on some of the “other” R4 teams. It’s worth noting that R3 took in a lot of teams that have traditionally been R4 in this alignment (Thorndale, Hearne, Holland) and they didn’t do well at all against R3 teams in the playoffs.  But those 3 have got it figured out down there for sure. 

5 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t like it any better than you do, but facts are facts. The only Region 3 team to win a 2A D1 semifinal since 2008 was Mart, who is no longer in D1. Region 4 has our number. Top to bottom, I think the competition in R3 is better, but those top 3 in R4 (Mason, Shiner, Refugio) are monsters. How would a 2020 Timpson, or a 2017-19 San Augustine fare in R4? How would one of those big 3 look after a district schedule that includes say, Garrison, Joaquin, and San Augustine? We’ll never know without seeing some of our top teams take on some of the “other” R4 teams. It’s worth noting that R3 took in a lot of teams that have traditionally been R4 in this alignment (Thorndale, Hearne, Holland) and they didn’t do well at all against R3 teams in the playoffs.  But those 3 have got it figured out down there for sure. 

Yeah I agree but I had to at least give him a response lol ....  all true what you said above.  Anyway, one game at a time...our district should be good.  Looking forward to the Joaquin game for sure...I know you guys are out for revenge!  

5 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Hearne will be down losing some good talent. A team that will be on the radar soon is Marlin. They got something cooking there. May not be this year but could make a good run

On 6/19/2021 at 11:33 AM, lionpride08 said:

If you would read my post again I said "Except Newton". Also, if you put stock into 7 on 7 I'm sorry, that's just funny. Lastly, if you think a running team is going to beat Gunter this year? LMAO. Stay healthy. It's fun to debate, that's why we all love the game.   

2 hours ago, Eagle22 said:

If you would read my post again I said "Except Newton". Also, if you put stock into 7 on 7 I'm sorry, that's just funny. Lastly, if you think a running team is going to beat Gunter this year? LMAO. Stay healthy. It's fun to debate, that's why we all love the game.   

Im willing to bet any amount that if gunter and Franklin meet up it will be a 14pt plus win for the lions. Good luck this season

2 hours ago, Bulldogbacker78 said:

If Gunter and Franklin meet up in the AA playoffs it would be a miracle!

Correct, considering they’re both 3A schools. Apparently some of the people on this forum don’t know the difference. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 3