All The Pretty Horses

Stoney

Since Hollywood is completely out of ideas, I say they might as well adapt all of Cormac McCarthy and Larry McMurtry's books/short stories that they haven't done yet. Would beat the hell outta most of the crap they're churning out right now. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, LOL said:

Since Hollywood is completely out of ideas, I say they might as well adapt all of Cormac McCarthy and Larry McMurtry's books/short stories that they haven't done yet. Would beat the hell outta most of the crap they're churning out right now. 

I saw the movie before reading the book. I’ve never been so disappointed in an adaptation. 

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:31 PM, Stoney said:

I saw the movie before reading the book. I’ve never been so disappointed in an adaptation. 

Chalk it up to "executive meddling."

All the Pretty Horses was filmed on location in New Mexico and Texas.

The version that Thornton presented to Miramax was over three hours long. Harvey Weinstein demanded that the film be cut down to under two hours and also put aside the original musical score by Daniel Lanois, having Marty Stuart replace it.[5]

Peter Biskind suggests in his book Down and Dirty Pictures (2004)[6] that the demand to cut the length of the film was at least partially done as payback for Thornton's refusal to cut Sling Blade (1996).

Thornton's cut had an effect on the storytelling. Matt Damon publicly criticized Weinstein's decision, saying to Entertainment Weekly, "You can't cut 35% of the movie and expect it to be the same movie."[citation needed]

In an interview with Playboy, Damon expressed his displeasure with the changes, saying, "Everybody who worked on All the Pretty Horses took so much time and cared so much. As you know, the Cormac McCarthy book is set in 1949 and is about a guy trying to hold on to his old way of life. The electric guitar became popular in 1949, and the composer Daniel Lanois got an old 1949 guitar and wrote this spare, haunting score. We did the movie listening to his score. It informed everything we did. We made this very dark, spare movie, but the studio wanted an epic with big emotions and violins. They saw the cast, the director, Billy Bob Thornton, and the fact that we spent $50 million, and they never released our movie—though the cut still exists. Billy had a heart problem at that time, and it was because his heart ####ing broke from fighting for that film. It really ####ed him up. It still bothers me to this day."[5]

The idea of releasing the Thornton cut of the film is complicated by the fact that Lanois still owns the rights to his score and has so far refused to license it.[5]

• Like 1