Dave Campbell 2021 4A D1 preseason top 10

lionpride08

10 minutes ago, kdogs00 said:

Kilgore had a really really good freshman team and a pretty good JV last year...the talent and size will be there it's just a matter of adjusting to the Friday night varsity speed of the game...they may be a little slow out the gate until the Oline gets their feet under them, but ultimately they will be fine...how often do you say, Kilgore has a terrible Oline..??.....as far as having a deadly Offense I think time will tell but I do believe the potential is there....and on comparing this to your track running ability.. all I say is you can teach blocking schemes and footwork to anyone if the talents there...you cant teach speed!!...😉

No you cannot! Lol my 6- and 5-year-old boys have heard me say that so many times. Now they're always going around saying "Speed kills."

I think Kilgore will be fine this year. That's a pretty salty district, but if I had to bet on one team right now, my money would be on the Bulldogs to take the District 9 crown. My dark horse would be Chapel Hill.

• Like 2

Looks like El Campo might make a serious run for a title this year, and the next couple years. Interested to see how Coach Worrell does at EC. I don’t see why he won’t have similar results as he did at Brock. El Campo reminds me a little bit of Carthage pre-Surratt. Always have a good RB and big boys on the OL. When I have seen them they have always had good athletes overall. I think they are an elite coach away from making some serious noise. Don’t think Worrell leaves the program he built in Brock unless he thought the job he was taking had a lot of potential. I would assume he had plenty of chances to leave for a bigger school before now. 

• Like 1

In 2011, El Campo went to the Class 3A D-1 State Finals after defeating Carthage in the semifinal 29-25.  The Ricebirds(14-0) met Stephenville(14-1) for the State Championship, but lost 70-35.   Previous to that season, El Campo had never made it past the 3rd Round in the playoffs since the 2004 season......that's as far back as I could find.  So I would not assume that all of a sudden El Campo will be in the title hunt just because Todd Worrell is now the new HC at El Campo.   They are in a reasonably easy district and in Region 3 along with teams like Kilgore, Lindale, Chapel Hill, Henderson, and Needville that are all traditional playoff teams in Region 3 D-1.  And that don't even count the winner of Region 4 D-1 that the winner of Region 3 faces just to get to the title game.  Region 4A D-1 has teams like CC Calallen, Austin LBJ, CC Miller,  Port Lavaca Calhoun, Boerne, Lampasas, and La Vernia.

10 hours ago, regaleagle said:

In 2011, El Campo went to the Class 3A D-1 State Finals after defeating Carthage in the semifinal 29-25.  The Ricebirds(14-0) met Stephenville(14-1) for the State Championship, but lost 70-35.   Previous to that season, El Campo had never made it past the 3rd Round in the playoffs since the 2004 season......that's as far back as I could find.  So I would not assume that all of a sudden El Campo will be in the title hunt just because Todd Worrell is now the new HC at El Campo.   They are in a reasonably easy district and in Region 3 along with teams like Kilgore, Lindale, Chapel Hill, Henderson, and Needville that are all traditional playoff teams in Region 3 D-1.  And that don't even count the winner of Region 4 D-1 that the winner of Region 3 faces just to get to the title game.  Region 4A D-1 has teams like CC Calallen, Austin LBJ, CC Miller,  Port Lavaca Calhoun, Boerne, Lampasas, and La Vernia.

But that's exactly what a really good coach can do to/for a program. El Campo always has a good amount of talent, right now they happen to have a premier talent in the backfield, but they've typically lacked on the coaching end of things. Chad Worrell could be the missing ingredient to becoming a perennial title contender. Look what happened to Carthage when they found "their guy." I'm not saying Chad Worrell is Scott Surratt, and I'm not saying El Campo is Carthage, but it's an example of what the right coach can do for a program that already has the talent in place.

Coach Worrell won a ton at Brock, and they were consistently in the top 1-5 and in the conversation for a state championship every single year, after decades of being known as a basketball/baseball school. He's a good coach, and if the kids buy into what he's selling, El Campo will undoubtedly be in the title hunt right away, because they've got the talent to match/surpass every team that you just listed.

4 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

But that's exactly what a really good coach can do to/for a program. El Campo always has a good amount of talent, right now they happen to have a premier talent in the backfield, but they've typically lacked on the coaching end of things. Chad Worrell could be the missing ingredient to becoming a perennial title contender. Look what happened to Carthage when they found "their guy." I'm not saying Chad Worrell is Scott Surratt, and I'm not saying El Campo is Carthage, but it's an example of what the right coach can do for a program that already has the talent in place.

Coach Worrell won a ton at Brock, and they were consistently in the top 1-5 and in the conversation for a state championship every single year, after decades of being known as a basketball/baseball school. He's a good coach, and if the kids buy into what he's selling, El Campo will undoubtedly be in the title hunt right away, because they've got the talent to match/surpass every team that you just listed.

Agree 100%. Really everything is set up for them to go on a run. They have a strong tradition. El Campo is a program that has won 702 games in its history. Even before they dropped down in 2012 EC was a perennial playoff team. They are also one of the biggest schools in 4a DI with an enrollment of 1,154. They have a good core returning on both sides of the ball. 5 star RB. A group of OL that just one the state lineman challenge. A new coach who literally built an elite state championship caliber program from scratch before arriving at El Campo.

I’m not saying El Campo is going to have the same success as Brock, but I do believe they are on the shortlist of teams with a real chance to win a state title in 4a D1. That’s not only this year, but the next couple of years. So people shouldn’t be surprised if 3 years from now you look and EC’s record is 40-5 with a state title and a semi-final appearance. They would be the favorite in region 3 this year without their new coach IMO. With him? Let’s see. I could be way off, and EC remains a 8-9 win team. But I think everything is set up for them to be much better than that.

3 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Well Heckfire........let's go ahead and call up the engraving company right away then, LOL.  I sure hope them Ricebirds have plenty of room to spare for one of those new shiny State Championship football trophies in their display case.

Lol. Are you a little cranky? Who said they would win a state title? This is a discussion about the 4a D1 Top 10 and contenders. El Campo is a very interesting team that made a coaching change and has some studs returning. They definitely deserve to be in the conversation of pre-season favorites.

Not sure about your response to a post giving facts about a team that’s relevant to this thread. You ok?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, regaleagle said:

Well Heckfire........let's go ahead and call up the engraving company right away then, LOL.  I sure hope them Ricebirds have plenty of room to spare for one of those new shiny State Championship football trophies in their display case.

Come on, regal, you’re better than that! You’re usually one for level-headed discussion.

8 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Come on, regal, you’re better than that! You’re usually one for level-headed discussion.

That is what he does. The moment someone does anything besides talk about how great Argyle is or the moment someone isn’t listening to him talk about Argyle’s greatness for 5 long posts in a row, he gets flustered. 

11 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

You’re getting into your feelings. You of all people tell us how great Arygle is. No shame in speaking some love to another team. El campo is very much a  contender this isn’t disputable.

Regal reminds me of the of cancel culture and the “woke” part of the population. The moment anyone even dares to think or even suggest something different than what he believes, he gets so upset he pees himself (I can only assume.) 

• Like 1

You mean you guys don't enjoy a little light humor before the season?  C'mon now.......I'm just joshing you guys to see what happens.  Lots of hard feelings out there about Argyle........the true feelings come to the surface.  I don't doubt El Campo will do well with Coach Worrell.......I hope they make some runs.  My mom lived and worked in El Campo for a number of yrs for the USDA dept.......so I have nothing but positive feelings about the Ricebirds. Y'all are barking up the wrong tree with me.

2 hours ago, regaleagle said:

You mean you guys don't enjoy a little light humor before the season?  C'mon now.......I'm just joshing you guys to see what happens.  Lots of hard feelings out there about Argyle........the true feelings come to the surface.  I don't doubt El Campo will do well with Coach Worrell.......I hope they make some runs.  My mom lived and worked in El Campo for a number of yrs for the USDA dept.......so I have nothing but positive feelings about the Ricebirds. Y'all are barking up the wrong tree with me.

Did your son hack your account again?  I know you don’t drink so that has to be the explanation of the multiple personalities coming out in the posts.  🤷‍♂️

• LOL! 1

4 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

You think he would ecstatic about argyle finally finishing the deal for once. Everyone wants to be like Carthage I suppose. Now they went small we actually have a punchers chance. 

For once?

26 minutes ago, regaleagle said:

Oh what delusions can be cast into the thoughts of so many in this world with just a few spoken or written words taken of out context.  Contemplate this as you look into the brilliant reflection of your own mirrors.

I see an impeccable ‘stache

• LOL! 2