Dave Campbell 2021 4A D2 preseason top 10

lionpride08

8 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

So who will Carthage beat this year in Arlington for their annual state championship? 

China Spring too low. I'm interested in how Bellville does this season. 

Surratt’s  philosophy is to play one game at a time; Kind of the “Don’t count you chickens” approach. Every team wants to beat Carthage & a few have, but it won’t be a Cake Walk for anyone. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

Surratt’s  philosophy is to play one game at a time; Kind of the “Don’t count you chickens” approach. Every team wants to beat Carthage & a few have, but it won’t be a Cake Walk for anyone. 

I'm pretty sure that's the philosophy of every HS football coach in this state if you ask them.

I'm thinking just like the person above that it'll be another all East Tx matchup again, unless Celina throws a wrench in the plans. 

Celina brought back a ton, added a few really nice looking pieces, and have some really talented youngsters coming up too. And the QB position isn’t in flux going into this year, which will be amazing. Graham will be a touch down this year, but Aubrey should be really good again. But I think Region I is Celina’s to lose. I’d be shocked if it’s not the Bobcats vs the Buckeyes in the semifinals come December.

We’ll get to find out how legitimate Celina is right away. They play the Div. I No. 3, No. 7 and No. 1 (Melissa, Paris, Argyle, respectively) right out of the gate.

These rankings look about right though. Carthage is the easiest No. 1 in the history of rankings lol. Gilmer also a pretty unquestionable No. 2 in my opinion. After that, I’d probably have WOS and Wimberley a little lower. I’d probably have China Spring and Sinton a touch higher. The Pirates were young and bring back everybody, so they’ll make noise in Region IV. I probably would have Navarro in the top 10, honestly. They had a decent group a year ago and bring back everybody. A couple other teams probably have legit arguments for being top 10, and will likely break in after a week or two.

Did Salado lose a lot to graduation?  A little surprised to not see them in there.  I figured they'd be a shoe in for top 5.  Even though the score in our game against them last year was 35-7, I think they played us closer than anyone else did.  Guess it really doesn't matter, it's just pre-season rankings and anything could happen and they may wind up in there eventually.

20 hours ago, BuckNut said:

I would have Rusk, Jasper or Center at 10 but I know they have to have representation from all geographic areas that sells magazines.

Center might not be as good without Horace and a new coaching staff settling in but they have plenty of talent. Jasper lost those monster O-linemen but they will be good again. Rusk will surprise a few people. They have a chance to be one of the better teams in 4A D2. 

4 hours ago, d0tc0m said:

Celina brought back a ton, added a few really nice looking pieces, and have some really talented youngsters coming up too. And the QB position isn’t in flux going into this year, which will be amazing. Graham will be a touch down this year, but Aubrey should be really good again. But I think Region I is Celina’s to lose. I’d be shocked if it’s not the Bobcats vs the Buckeyes in the semifinals come December.

We’ll get to find out how legitimate Celina is right away. They play the Div. I No. 3, No. 7 and No. 1 (Melissa, Paris, Argyle, respectively) right out of the gate.

No one will be able to say Celina isnt battle tested, that’s for sure! And you’ll know exactly what they have. I know one of those games for sure that I’d love to see Celina put it on the opposition. 

45 minutes ago, dillonpanthers said:

Will be interested to see how PG does this year. Not sure I'd put them at 5, but they may come out hot

They had a really good 9th grade team, even without the RB who was on varsity.  I would imagine several of them, now sophs, will get a lot of playing time on varsity. 
For several years now they have just reloaded, just a notch below Carthage - who has to try to reload most of their blockers this fall. 

1 hour ago, dillonpanthers said:

Will be interested to see how PG does this year. Not sure I'd put them at 5, but they may come out hot

I think PG will be better this year than they were last year.  Injuries hurt them a lot.  I have seen a few of their underclassmen report offers this summer, with at least 2 getting Power 5 exposure.