Dave Campbell 2021 4A D2 preseason top 10

lionpride08

1 hour ago, Hawk20 said:

'19 was at PG.....was a great game until 4th quarter.  PG just ran out of gas. You can visibly see it on the film.   Final score was lopsided but that happened in the 4th quarter.  Just not enough depth to go all 4 quarters.

That’s the game i remembered. 
just not enough gas down the stretch

6 hours ago, Hawk20 said:

2018 against pg at carthage. Pg was draining clock and set up for potential field goal.

Pg QB had unforced fumble and gave ball back. Heartbreaker 

The answer to the question is Dec 14, 2018 vs Liberty Hill in the semi’s.  Carthage lost 44-41.  PG definitely had the game won at Carthage HC earlier that year, just made one big mistake at the wrong time and that little spark was all it took to wake the Dawgs up to win it.

35 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

The answer to the question is Dec 14, 2018 vs Liberty Hill in the semi’s.  Carthage lost 44-41.  PG definitely had the game won at Carthage HC earlier that year, just made one big mistake at the wrong time and that little spark was all it took to wake the Dawgs up to win it.

The question was regular season……You are correct if you consider the playoffs regular season for Carthage. 

• LOL! 1

5 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Oh I see now Carthage will state. I have tried this method as well. Sometimes you gotta know your place and hope for the best.  Most schools were in denial about Carthage last season thinking they had a chance.

Don’t know why anyone would think Carthage would take a step back from 2019 to 2020..

The defense only got a year older and better and most of the key offensive players returned for their senior seasons - QB, two RB’s, TE some OL

I'm expecting the offense to take some time to gel this upcoming season and the team to obviously be led by that stellar defense. 

7 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

He was anti Carthage/Gilmer  more than me. That is saying something. Now he on board so maybe sends some bad mojo. One can dream 😴 

well I will take Carthage this year they should win it all buy the looks of it  we MIGHT BE TALKING about some other team in Jerrys place in 2022

33 minutes ago, powerlifter said:

well I will take Carthage this year they should win it all buy the looks of it  we MIGHT BE TALKING about some other team in Jerrys place in 2022

It’s most definitely possible. Carthage will lose a lot on defense after this year. It will remain to be seen if they just reload and win again as as happened before, or will it be someone else’s turn again. 

49 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

It’s most definitely possible. Carthage will lose a lot on defense after this year. It will remain to be seen if they just reload and win again as as happened before, or will it be someone else’s turn again. 

Just like every year, the 2’s are going to get to play a half of football in at least 10 games this year.  Maybe more.  Plus the JV will practice with the varsity until Dec.  That’s a pretty solid recipe to “reload”.

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Just like every year, the 2’s are going to get to play a half of football in at least 10 games this year.  Maybe more.  Plus the JV will practice with the varsity until Dec.  That’s a pretty solid recipe to “reload”.

Crosby, S A, P G, Gilmer  - 2s probably don’t get more than a quarter, if at all. Jasper might be iffy.   I take under 10.  Lol.  

18 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

Crosby, S A, P G, Gilmer  - 2s probably don’t get more than a quarter, if at all. Jasper might be iffy.   I take under 10.  Lol.  

Yea I fully expect not to run away with those games. Unless… the new key position players go above and beyond immediately. But I imagine some growing pains could be had on offense. 

3 hours ago, cotton84 said:

I could almost agree if it weren’t for the Dawg D. I have a feeling they are going to be twice as good as they were last year. Coach S will have the new QB ready to play no matter who it is. Morgan, Capps, and Horton were ready to lead the Dawgs as Juniors. 
Coach S is a master at having the new QB ready. I think the O line is the group that will need a few games to start clicking. 
Crosby will be a great first game for the D to show how much they have improved. You know coach Preston has to be foaming at the bit to see his defense dominate all comers. 

17 hours ago, cotton84 said:

first off, let me start with "my full figured self loves me some Jiffy!" that friend/s is by no means iffy. 😊

my Jasper DAWGS are most likely to be real  iffy this season.  this year Jasper is gonna be from top to bottom one of the least experienced squads to play at the Varsity level under the Friday Night Lights that I can recall.

Multiple Spread offense.

Yep, that's right Jasper is gonna be one of the newest teams to implement  that type of offensive scheme.  

Bryan Barbay(recent OC) retired and Coach Birdwell was set to be the new OC for the upcoming season but the opportunity for him to become a head coach (Hull Daisetta) came along. ( I wish him much success) so as it stands Jasper (at least to my knowledge) does not have anyone with that job title for the Varsity.

young squad, along with new scheme  may very well  have our win/loss columns  looking  VERY iffy.🤔

of course I hope I am proven wrong by the JasperDAWGS and end up pleasantly surprised  with a good season.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Y’all been listening to too many Surratt radio shows!  The Dawgs are something like 73-3 in the last five years with 4 rings and a semi-final loss.  In years past, it seemed Carthage needed 7-10 games to get the engine firing on all cylinders for the playoffs.  Seems like the last 4 years the Dawgs were in playoff mode before district started.  No reason to think this year is any different.  That equals lots of playing time for the 2’s & 3’s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Y’all been listening to too many Surratt radio shows!  The Dawgs are something like 73-3 in the last five years with 4 rings and a semi-final loss.  In years past, it seemed Carthage needed 7-10 games to get the engine firing on all cylinders for the playoffs.  Seems like the last 4 years the Dawgs were in playoff mode before district started.  No reason to think this year is any different.  That equals lots of playing time for the 2’s & 3’s.

Hope you’re right, fingers crossed and we shall see!

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I know Surratt can coach any position really well(especially offense)…..And Endsley and Watson know how to coach the offensive line…….If those 3 coaches get the offensive line even close to the last several years early in the upcoming season, those 3 deserve another raise. 

2 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

I know Surratt can coach any position really well(especially offense)…..And Endsley and Watson know how to coach the offensive line…….If those 3 coaches get the offensive line even close to the last several years early in the upcoming season, those 3 deserve another raise. 

When Endsley convinces Preston to let him have #51 or #52 (or both) back on the offensive side of the ball, they will all be counting the stacks next evaluation period.  🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

This will be the best team Bellville has had in a few years. Good O line, 3 year starter at QB, RB Richard Reese is committed to Baylor, ATH Robert Briggs is committed to Utah State. The secondary for us will be the big question. She be a good season for the Brahmas. The key will be to win district and put off facing Carthage as long as possible lol Sealy is also a team to keep a eye on. Great coaching and a very solid QB for them. Can’t wait for the season to start!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Utfan06 said:

This will be the best team Bellville has had in a few years. Good O line, 3 year starter at QB, RB Richard Reese is committed to Baylor, ATH Robert Briggs is committed to Utah State. The secondary for us will be the big question. She be a good season for the Brahmas. The key will be to win district and put off facing Carthage as long as possible lol Sealy is also a team to keep a eye on. Great coaching and a very solid QB for them. Can’t wait for the season to start!

Excited to see Reese this year. Hope Bellville and Carthage meet in the playoffs. I think Bellville is set up for their best season in a while. 

3 minutes ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

Excited to see Reese this year. Hope Bellville and Carthage meet in the playoffs. I think Bellville is set up for their best season in a while. 

Would’ve saw him last year if we tackled better vs Salado lol

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 5:21 PM, PantherNation2015 said:

I agree with you on the last 4 years. Surratt’s program really took another step since 2017 (as crazy as that sounds). Carthage used to take time to get into playoff form, and would drop some games early. That hasn’t been the case the last 4-5 years.

With that said I also agree with Cotton. Carthage has some tough games. I will be thoroughly impressed if Carthage just runs over Crosby and SA. If they do that then doubt anybody stays close. But IMO Carthage will have some small growing pains early on offense early this year and the 1st 2 games of the year are against arguably the 2 best teams Carthage will play all year. Just wouldn’t be surprised to see them drop a game early. But also won’t be surprised if Carthage is 10-0 and on a 40 game win streak at the end of the regular season. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I agree with you on the last 4 years. Surratt’s program really took another step since 2017 (as crazy as that sounds). Carthage used to take time to get into playoff form, and would drop some games early. That hasn’t been the case the last 4-5 years.

With that said I also agree with Cotton. Carthage has some tough games. I will be thoroughly impressed if Carthage just runs over Crosby and SA. If they do that then doubt anybody stays close. But IMO Carthage will have some small growing pains early on offense early this year and the 1st 2 games of the year are against arguably the 2 best teams Carthage will play all year. Just wouldn’t be surprised to see them drop a game early. But also won’t be surprised if Carthage is 10-0 and on a 40 game win streak at the end of the regular season. 

They won’t “run over” Crosby & SA but I expect the Dawgs will win by 14-21 points against both.  I have been wrong before but the odds are in my favor on this one.  😁

2 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

They won’t “run over” Crosby & SA but I expect the Dawgs will win by 14-21 points against both.  I have been wrong before but the odds are in my favor on this one.  😁

You might be right. Crosby has the makings of a 5-5 maybe 6-4 type team this season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Crosby has three starters on D and three starters on the O returning from last years team. 
Atleast that is the report from SETX forum. 

That's correct. I seen their QB in some action last year in a backup role, he's pretty good, but the rest is an unknown except their all-world kicker they got, wish we had that kid. Pretty much all their returning lettermen saw action last season on their state championship game run. With the studs they lost off last year's team I expect them to start off the season slow (0-3): #1 4AD2 Carthage week-1, #2 5AD1 Manvel week-2 then us (#18 5AD1 Port Arthur Memorial) week-3.

That's tough!

14 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

That's correct. I seen their QB in some action last year in a backup role, he's pretty good, but the rest is an unknown except their all-world kicker they got, wish we had that kid. Pretty much all their returning lettermen saw action last season on their state championship game run. With the studs they lost off last year's team I expect them to start off the season slow (0-3): #1 4AD2 Carthage week-1, #2 5AD1 Manvel week-2 then us (#18 5AD1 Port Arthur Memorial) week-3.

That's tough!

I knew Crosby lost some players to graduation, but that was more than I thought.