The Providence of God

RETIREDFAN1

The Providence of God

The word providence means divine guidance or care. Providence is God’s power of sustaining and guiding humanity’s course through time. It is found only once, and that is in the KJV when Tertullus was flattering Felix for his providing good things to the Jewish nation.

Acts 24: 2

Despite not being specifically mentioned, the principle of the providence of God is taught everywhere in the Bible. God works through natural means most of the time, instead of by miracle, to provide for His people. These are the ways God works for us in addition to those in His Word. It is true that God works through His Word, and never contradicts His Word. However there are other ways in which God deals with those who obey Him. We are going to look at several of these ways that God uses His Providence to aid those who obey Him. 

God’s providence is shown in blessings. There are certain physical blessings that come to all men.

Matthew 5: 45

There are special blessings that come to Christians because they are  Christians and do His will. We are not referring to spiritual blessings which come  through obedience to His Word, but to physical blessings which come through obedience by means of His providence. We are blessed a hundredfold.

Matthew 19: 29

We are blessed with long life and good days.

I Peter 3: 10 - 12

All things work together for good for God’s children.

Romans 8: 28

Some examples of this are in the Bible for us to study.

Philippians 1: 12

Philemon 1: 15

We will never be beggars.

Psalm 37: 25

Matthew 6: 33

We are blessed with God’s special care.

I Peter 3: 12

Psalm 34: 17

Psalm 128: 2 - 4

In contrast to the above blessings, the Lord works against those who disobey Him. 

Psalm 7: 10 - 17

Psalm 11: 6

If we want to be successful in life, truly having what men call the good life, we need to do God's will.

Joshua 1: 8

Job 36: 11

On top of the physical blessings we gain, we receive spiritual ones which are far greater. To the hundred fold blessings in this life, Jesus added the blessing of eternal life in the world to come.

Mark 10: 30

Paul said the same thing.

I Timothy 4: 8

We also have God’s providence on our side as we face trials. God has always tested or tried His people. 

Jeremiah 20: 12

Job was tested. 

Job 23: 10

Abraham was tried.

Hebrews 11: 17

We also are tried and tested. Here, again, we are not speaking of those trials which the Word of God places upon the hearts of men, but of external ones. Let’s look at some of the ways God works through His providence in trials. Every man's works shall be tried by fire. 

I Corinthians 3: 13

A man's faith will be tried with fire.

I Peter 1: 7

Fiery trials come upon all Christians. 

I Peter 4: 12

Some were cast into prison to be tried.

Revelation 2: 10

Some God delivered from trials. 

Revelation 3: 10

The word temptation includes, first of all, trials with beneficial purposes and effects.

James 1:2-3

I Peter 1: 6

Christians, realizing their own weaknesses, are to pray that God will not lead them into these kinds of temptations. 

Matthew 6: 13

However, at the same time we are to remember that in all temptations God provides a way of escape. 

I Corinthians 10: 13

The word temptation also includes trials definitely designed to lead to wrong doing.

I Timothy 6: 10

God tries the righteous, but God never tempts them to do evil. James 1:13-14

It is Satan who does the tempting to evil. God allows Satan to tempt man on a limited basis in this present age, but in the next age, Satan will be cast into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20: 10

In those trials which God brings upon us to prove and strengthen us, we must have patience.

James 1:3-4

Romans 5: 3 - 4

Remember the patience of Job and the prophets. 

James 5:10-11

Job 23:10

In those temptations which Satan brings upon us to destroy us, we must have resistance. 

James 4:7

I Peter 5: 8 - 9

Ephesians 6: 11

Remember Jesus when we are tempted.

Hebrews 2: 18

Hebrews 4: 15

God's providence also has its working among men as He deals with them in answering their prayers. God's providence and prayers go hand in hand. The person who denies the providence of God unwittingly places himself in opposition to prayer. God accomplishes many good things through His providence in answering prayer. Let’s look at a few examples. God gives good gifts.

Matthew 7: 7 - 11

He delivers us out of troubles.

Psalm 34: 17

He heals the sick.

James 5: 15

Philippians 2: 27

He sends the rain.

Zechariah 10: 1

James 5: 16 - 18

He gives wisdom

James 1: 5

All things for which we pray, believing, keeping His commandment, asking according to His will, and in Jesus' name, we receive. 

Matthew 21: 22

I John 3: 22

I John 5: 14 - 15

God is able to abundantly provide for us. Therefore, we should always pray and not faint.

I Thessalonians 5: 17

Romans 12: 12

Philippians 4: 6 - 7

God’s providence is shown to us through His chastisement. 

Revelation 3: 19

Hebrews 12: 5 - 11

We need to endure the chastening of the Lord, and be in subjection the Father of spirits and live. God chastens for our profit that we might be partakers of His holiness. 

As we’ve seen today, God's providential care has it working in blessings, in trials, in prayers, and in chastisement. God watches over and cares for those who are faithfully obedient to Him.