10 small towns with the best Friday Night Lights atmosphere

lionpride08

43 minutes ago, blueflu said:

were no 1 in lower classification in 94.  lost to teneha.  got moved up next year to current classification.  into celina and pilot point district. GA raided our players for next couple of years. were just 6 miles apart

Lol

4 hours ago, blueflu said:

when you have to play canadian in semis every year, its kinda tough.

Yeah we had to play teams like Cameron Rockdale Grandview ect in D1 and when we have been in d2 in years past we have had to play the likes of east texas teams like Newton Waskom ect. Pretty hard getting out of the region with teams like this every round. Gunter has no one to challenge them till semi finals

On 6/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, mikehoncho said:

A good band absolutely boosts the atmosphere big time! Another thing I don't just love about Carthage game day, the military style band or whatever its called is just not for me.  

Band parents, dont come for me 🤫

So you prefer one of those bands where they just kind of wander around the field while playing their horns and nobody can tell if they are where they are supposed to be?

• LOL! 2

33 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

So you prefer one of those bands where they just kind of wander around the field while playing their horns and nobody can tell if they are where they are supposed to be?

I don't think anybody prefers that. I think what mike (and me, and plenty others) prefer is bands that aren't stiff and rigid and militaristic in the way they play, and play stiff/rigid tunes with no depth to them. I (and I'm assuming Mike) want bands to have fun with their music, to feeeeeel their music and for that to be evident in their routines. Say what you will, but a band that comes out loose and having fun and playing some fun contemporary tunes with some soul to them will absolutely get the halftime crowd fired up. I appreciate bands like that, no doubt!

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure how it is now, honestly, but Celina's band used to be very vanilla, and bland and boring, and it was led by a gentleman who was great at what he did, but he was very vanilla, bland and boring — I'm talking specifically during Celina's heyday (95-2008). I remember when we would play a team like Pinkston, their football team might have been terrible, but my gosh their band was amazing. They would 100% have Celina fans going nuts during halftime, and honestly, (maybe not because of that) most Bobcat faithful would be cheering for Pinkston in the second half lol.

That's just one example that's always stuck out to me. There have been plenty of bands from other schools that I remember. I've always just remembered Pinkston's for some reason.

51 minutes ago, JBizzle said:

15 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

I don't think anybody prefers that. I think what mike (and me, and plenty others) prefer is bands that aren't stiff and rigid and militaristic in the way they play, and play stiff/rigid tunes with no depth to them. I (and I'm assuming Mike) want bands to have fun with their music, to feeeeeel their music and for that to be evident in their routines. Say what you will, but a band that comes out loose and having fun and playing some fun contemporary tunes with some soul to them will absolutely get the halftime crowd fired up. I appreciate bands like that, no doubt!

What dotcom said, basically.  lol.  

I like a band style that isn't so much pomp and seriousness.  They let loose, have fun and play music that is more "hype" one might say.  

17 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

I like a band style that isn't so much pomp and seriousness.  They let loose, have fun and play music that is more "hype" one might say.  

I feel like Carthage band does that in the stands, but they could do better.  Their marching style is very traditional and technical.  Requires a lot of practice.  It isn't easy.

• Like 1

Just now, JBizzle said:

I feel like Carthage band does that in the stands, but they could do better.  Their marching style is very traditional and technical.  Requires a lot of practice.  It isn't easy.

I know, but it doesn't make it entertaining though.  Marching back and forth 126 times in different lines with feathers in your hat just doesn't do it for me.  I know that is some people's thing.  I'm happy for them. And happy for the kids that enjoy it.  

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, JBizzle said:

About once a year with Carthage’s offense on the field right in front of the band, the band will break out into one of those loud songs.  Surratt will have to call timeout, sometimes throw his head set down, and turn around and look at the band director(possibly say a word or two).  Fun times.  

• LOL! 1

11 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

About once a year with Carthage’s offense on the field right in front of the band, the band will break out into one of those loud songs.  Surratt will have to call timeout, sometimes throw his head set down, and turn around and look at the band director(possibly say a word or two).  Fun times.  

That's a whole other thing! A band director who is more in tune with the game and understands that when we are on offense, chill.  When we are on defense, go nuts.  

3 hours ago, mikehoncho said:

I know, but it doesn't make it entertaining though.  Marching back and forth 126 times in different lines with feathers in your hat just doesn't do it for me.  I know that is some people's thing.  I'm happy for them. And happy for the kids that enjoy it.  

I would rather watch it in person for a half than listen to your radio announcer attempt to call play by play on the marching style and technique!  😂

1 minute ago, PantherNation2015 said:

I would rather watch it in person for a half than listen to your radio announcer attempt to call play by play on the marching style and technique!  😂

Hahaha.  I understand. I just find something else to do during halftime if I'm watching the game and I sure as hell don't listen to halftime on the radio 😂

On 6/28/2021 at 4:28 PM, blueflu said:

were no 1 in lower classification in 94.  lost to teneha.  got moved up next year to current classification.  into celina and pilot point district.  GA raided our players for next couple of years. were just 6 miles apart

Now G.A. wouldn't have done that!

On 6/30/2021 at 8:12 AM, mikehoncho said:

I like a band that plays loud while we are on defense and not so loud while we are on offense. 

• Thanks 1

I remember one time the Garrison coaches limed the field a few hours before a home game and the band director had the band out marching on the field messing up the fresh lines before the game. I thought our head coach was going to punch out the band director before he got them off the field ... lol ....

• LOL! 2