10 small towns with the best Friday Night Lights atmosphere

lionpride08

On 6/24/2021 at 11:09 AM, villagegenius said:

Surprised StingEm or any other of the Alto guys haven’t chimed in. I concur with your statement, one of the better small town atmospheres in the state. 

I would put Alto’s Friday night atmosphere up against pretty much anybody’s. Stands are packed, band is live, boys are pumped, smoke is firing, cryo jets are lit(! lol), and it’s pretty much the place to be. Most towns probably say the same thing, but we kind of kick it up a notch in my opinion. Caleb Beames of KTRE/KLTV thinks so, too!

AFFDF588-F4B7-4C81-9414-9A190156BB2F.jpeg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, StingEmALTO said:

I would put Alto’s Friday night atmosphere up against pretty much anybody’s. Stands are packed, band is live, boys are pumped, smoke is firing, cryo jets are lit(! lol), and it’s pretty much the place to be. Most towns probably say the same thing, but we kind of kick it up a notch in my opinion. Caleb Beames of KTRE/KLTV thinks so, too!

I'm glad to hear that the band is live! It would be so incredibly odd if they were pre-recorded and played over the PA.  

• LOL! 4

On 6/28/2021 at 9:54 PM, lionpride08 said:

Yeah we had to play teams like Cameron Rockdale Grandview ect in D1 and when we have been in d2 in years past we have had to play the likes of east texas teams like Newton Waskom ect. Pretty hard getting out of the region with teams like this every round. Gunter has no one to challenge them till semi finals

But Gunter managed 3-2 in the last 5 semifinals. and 2-1 in state finals.  We've had teams like Holliday, Clifton, and Lexington in the region some of those years.  Not too many teams that had to play a Canadian like team 5 straight years.

On 6/28/2021 at 3:48 PM, lionpride08 said:

I'm not sure a lot of people even knew who gunter was 20 years ago... It wasn't till 2007 ish when gunter started to go to the 3rd round or further other then 1999. Not hating on gunter but didn't know yall were good before then

Gunter has 22 straight playoff years.  Didn't win the region until 2016 (and state) but had been going 2-4 rounds regularly in that 20 years.  I never heard of Franklin until they played Waskom in the 2015 state final.  I guess it depends what region you are in which teams you have heard of.  Not sure what your point is.

On 7/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, mikehoncho said:

I'm glad to hear that the band is live! It would be so incredibly odd if they were pre-recorded and played over the PA.  

I have seen some small school that did that. Put a big speaker on the track and put in an ACDC CD and that was the band. 

• LOL! 1

On 7/2/2021 at 11:23 AM, StingEmALTO said:

Now you know the grass isn't that short or dry on a Friday night...😂

• LOL! 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 9:12 PM, d0tc0m said:

It might have saved him from having a tick in the title-game loss column though. I don’t think Carthage was good enough that year to knock off THAT Stephenville team. I’ll hang up and listen to the comments about the 2010 Brownwood game now.

They weren’t “supposed” to beat brownwood either.  If you remember….Carthage had “no idea what was coming”.  At least that’s what some brownwood coaches kept saying.  

9 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

They weren’t “supposed” to beat brownwood either.  If you remember….Carthage had “no idea what was coming”.  At least that’s what some brownwood coaches kept saying.  

Thank you for fulfilling my prophecy.

Just now, DB2point0 said:

Sure thing….

The prophecy was that by simply mentioning that I thought THAT Carthage team wouldn’t beat THAT Stephenville team, I would invoke the “wE WeReN’T SuPpOsEd To BeAt BrOwNwOoD” crowd. And, as you just said, it was a sure thing. Thank you.

10 minutes ago, d0tc0m said:

The prophecy was that by simply mentioning that I thought THAT Carthage team wouldn’t beat THAT Stephenville team, I would invoke the “wE WeReN’T SuPpOsEd To BeAt BrOwNwOoD” crowd. And, as you just said, it was a sure thing. Thank you.

I understand that.  You think that because Stephenville beat El Campo and El Campo beat Carthage that Carthage wouldn’t stand a chance.  Carthage (IIRC) gave up 4 unforced turnovers against EC.  It was prolly the worst game they ever played that year.  The thing about Carthage is, typically if they need to run the ball against you they do.  If they need to throw, they do.  Just like the year they beat brownwood.  Their advantage over Brownwood was running the ball. They ran for 300+ and won by 7.    Morgan could’ve thrown for 400 against them, but they leaned on that advantage….and won.  The next week, in the state championship they throw for 400 and win by 40.  Each week is a different game plan.  The turnovers killed them against EC though

you invoked conversation, don’t consider yourself prophetic.  It makes you look dumb

5 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I understand that.  You think that because Stephenville beat El Campo and El Campo beat Carthage that Carthage wouldn’t stand a chance.  Carthage (IIRC) gave up 4 unforced turnovers against EC.  It was prolly the worst game they ever played that year.  The thing about Carthage is, typically if they need to run the ball against you they do.  If they need to throw, they do.  Just like the year they beat brownwood.  Their advantage over Brownwood was running the ball. They ran for 300+ and won by 7.    Morgan could’ve thrown for 400 against them, but they leaned on that advantage….and won.  The next week, in the state championship they throw for 400 and win by 40.  Each week is a different game plan.  The turnovers killed them against EC though

you invoked conversation, don’t consider yourself prophetic.  It makes you look dumb

I knew you were gonna say that.