10 small towns with the best Friday Night Lights atmosphere

lionpride08

3 hours ago, PantherNation2015 said:

2012 vs El Campo in the semi’s?  You didn’t second guess that trick play in Q4 that resulted in the fumble and short yardage TD for the Ricebird win?  Heck I think Surratt himself wished he had that one back!

Play would have worked if not for the fumble. That is the one game coach Surratt still gets angry about loosing. 

16 minutes ago, cowboyandchrist said:

Play would have worked if not for the fumble. That is the one game coach Surratt still gets angry about loosing. 

Yep.  Carthage was the better team and handed the W to El Campo on a silver platter with trick play TO.  If he had it to do over again, Surratt would punt and trust his D to hold for the win.

16 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

Yep.  Carthage was the better team and handed the W to El Campo on a silver platter with trick play TO.  If he had it to do over again, Surratt would punt and trust his D to hold for the win.

Punt on 2nd and 15 ?

16 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

It might have saved him from having a tick in the title-game loss column though. I don’t think Carthage was good enough that year to knock off THAT Stephenville team. I’ll hang up and listen to the comments about the 2010 Brownwood game now.

• LOL! 1

1 hour ago, d0tc0m said:

It might have saved him from having a tick in the title-game loss column though. I don’t think Carthage was good enough that year to knock off THAT Stephenville team. I’ll hang up and listen to the comments about the 2010 Brownwood game now.

I would never bet against coach Surratt in a state championship game. 
If the Dawgs get there, my money will always be on the Dawgs no matter who the opponent. 

19 hours ago, JBizzle said:

Now I have been a part of some great Friday night atmospheres at Carthage also, but it aint the norm week in and week out.

It’s not the norm every week, but when Bulldog Stadium is sold out it’s pretty electric. We have had some crowds/games straight out of the movies.

But I definitely agree with others, wish Carthage had better fans on a every week basis.

6 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

It’s not the norm every week, but when Bulldog Stadium is sold out it’s pretty electric. We have had some crowds/games straight out of the movies.

But I definitely agree with others, wish Carthage had better fans on a every week basis.

Most recently IMO, the game when PG came to Carthage, that one was electric and PACKED.

1 hour ago, mikehoncho said:

Most recently IMO, the game when PG came to Carthage, that one was electric and PACKED.

Henderson game in 2016. Gilmer game that same year. Kilgore in 2017. You already mentioned PG game in 2018. There has been some great games and atmospheres over the years. But I agree, there is a lot of times it’s a lot more quiet than it should be on a Friday night.

But in some fans defense, it’s hard to get loud and rowdy when the Dawgs are running roughshod over Jax or Pali (no offense to those teams). Hasn’t been many close home games on this current run from 2017 until now. But I was it’s pointing out that it does get electric in Carthage when I big game is being played there. It’s not only Carthage fans, but a lot of people from surrounding areas come out and support Carthage. That’s when it’s standing room only. Fun times!

Been to a lot of games in this corner of Texas, and Pleasant Grove definitely has the best Friday to Friday experience during regular season. Stadium is packed regardless of the opponent, and all the ignorant fans yell stupid stuff the entire game.

Carthage and Gilmer are pretty cool on the games they play big time opponents, but Gilmer is a shadow of it's former self when it comes to game-time hype. Back in the Traylor days, there was no doubt what the Buckeyes were there to do. 

One that would surprise you though, is Liberty-Eylau. When the football team is good, they're in full force, and the L-E band plays nothing but hype music. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, H3llR4z0r said:

Been to a lot of games in this corner of Texas, and Pleasant Grove definitely has the best Friday to Friday experience during regular season. Stadium is packed regardless of the opponent, and all the ignorant fans yell stupid stuff the entire game.

Carthage and Gilmer are pretty cool on the games they play big time opponents, but Gilmer is a shadow of it's former self when it comes to game-time hype. Back in the Traylor days, there was no doubt what the Buckeyes were there to do. 

One that would surprise you though, is Liberty-Eylau. When the football team is good, they're in full force, and the L-E band plays nothing but hype music. 

A good band absolutely boosts the atmosphere big time! Another thing I don't just love about Carthage game day, the military style band or whatever its called is just not for me.  

Band parents, dont come for me 🤫

4 minutes ago, mikehoncho said:

A good band absolutely boosts the atmosphere big time! Another thing I don't just love about Carthage game day, the military style band or whatever its called is just not for me.  

Band parents, dont come for me 🤫

Me either haha. Atlanta has a good band, but I swear L-E's band is there just to hype up the crowd and football team. 

• Like 1

Just now, H3llR4z0r said:

Me either haha. Atlanta has a good band, but I swear L-E's band is there just to hype up the crowd and football team. 

Another one for the band parents... That's what I feel like the sole purpose of the band should be on Friday nights! 

I said it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yoenation79 said:

I would almost bet that crowd was there the night when the Yoemen came over and played the Lions. 

Equal size crowd the following year in yoe as well... If everything is back to normal I expect a crowd this size week 3