10 small towns with the best Friday Night Lights atmosphere

lionpride08

On 7/25/2021 at 7:54 AM, jubilant said:

I agree. Gilmers fan base has become ho hum to the regular season and that to bad. I did see that start to turn around a little last year with Metzel at the helm. Hopefully that continues.  

yep, hopefully we're headed back towards a more hungry, mean time period.

I would say the same for Gilmer as I would for Carthage fans...when you have had a period of ten plus years of dominance, it's hard to bring the fervor and giant crowds to games that you know will be a slaughter. In the Traylor days, it was known that he was gunning for 50 by halftime. I lived a couple hours away, but my wife and I would go to every game, home or away...at least til they hit 50 or it was "put away" late if close (rare). Home games were packed, you had to get there nearly 2 hours early (unless you had season tickets) if you wanted to sit anywhere. Dedication...   

I think this year's Gilmer / Carthage matchup in Carthage will be a prime example of why these two teams were mentioned in the list.  Everybody knows it will be a full house with an electric atmosphere.  I hope our Buckeyes come out completely focused and ready..., mainly because if not they will get woodshedded again.  I pray nobody gets hurt because there will be some hitting goin' on fo sho.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, blackflag79 said:

I think this year's Gilmer / Carthage matchup in Carthage will be a prime example of why these two teams were mentioned in the list.  Everybody knows it will be a full house with an electric atmosphere.  I hope our Buckeyes come out completely focused and ready..., mainly because if not they will get woodshedded again.  I pray nobody gets hurt because there will be some hitting goin' on fo sho.

Agreed! Carthage's biggest and most excited home crowds this year will for Gilmer, PG and Homecoming.  The atmosphere is definitely a step up when the competition is expected to be a step up from the usual faire as well.  

Lookinbock haz da best game day we haz a midget hoo ridez a try sicle two deliver da game ball we haz big bertha hoo plays da geetar fore da nashional anthym we haz dis new guy naymed Lion70 move in he is a kool dude he started da nu libraree inn Lookinbock I ain’t scene a colorin book with klean payges be four he came her at half tyme wii chayse goats da wynner haz a date fore da weeken

• LOL! 2

On 8/2/2021 at 10:20 AM, mikehoncho said:

Agreed! Carthage's biggest and most excited home crowds this year will for Gilmer, PG and Homecoming.  The atmosphere is definitely a step up when the competition is expected to be a step up from the usual faire as well.  

Make sure the toilets are working for the Bux!  Lion70 aka Allthegoodnamesaregone will never let you live it down!

On 7/22/2021 at 3:25 PM, Gilbert said:

And that rockin 14 man band they used to have 

Yep remember that. I think the coronet and the flute was the loudest and that usually ain't a great sign, but it worked!

• LOL! 1

I grew up playing football under the bleachers without a care as to how the game on the actual field turned out.  Maybe grab my dad for money for nachos or a hot dog.  Then I grew up a little and was on the official field on the team playing in the actual game - and kids were playing football under the bleachers without a care as to how the game I was playing in turned out (probably a good thing).  Then I grew up a little more and watched kids playing a game while other - younger kids played football under the bleachers without a care as to how the game I was watching on the field would turn out.  That's the best Friday Night Lights atmosphere in any town.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, mikehoncho said:

A good band absolutely boosts the atmosphere big time! Another thing I don't just love about Carthage game day, the military style band or whatever its called is just not for me.  

Band parents, dont come for me 🤫

Port Neches-Groves has an outstanding band, which definitely ups the atmosphere at the Reservation.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:44 AM, mikehoncho said:

A good band absolutely boosts the atmosphere big time! Another thing I don't just love about Carthage game day, the military style band or whatever its called is just not for me.  

Band parents, dont come for me 🤫

a good band? i think we all know who the king of band is