What do you want from Smoaky.com?

Smoaky

It is hard to imagine but Smoaky.com turned 19-years old in June and I'll never forget when our original webmaster told me it would be a big deal and great idea. He was right and the nearly 20-years is something I never thought possible.

But, I find myself at times overwhelmed with everything I am doing with radio, TV, numerous Hall of Fame committees and just being a normal person and I know I've disappeared at times and neglected you the membership in "feeding the beast" so to speak. We can debate "feeding the beast" as monitoring the forums and I realize not all the decisions are popular and/or appreciated. But, this is about what else you want on Smoaky.com.

I want to spice up what we and I mean "we" have and I am willing to listen to your ideas, but I do not want this to become a thread with arguments, but ideas...examples below but be open and honest and use what I try to use every day in my every day work with SicEm365V Radio and "think outside the box.

*Do you pay attention to the homepage, do you want more "news or updates" on the front and center portion of the homepage?

*Do you ever click on any of the links on the left-hand side of the homepage, if yes, which links? If not, why not?

*Do you have any interest in "feeding the beast" not with just threads in the message board section(s) but with weekly updates or a blog on a team or district or something else you want to add to the mix?

If we need to eliminate some of the links to the left, that's fine too.

Please try and keep this focused on my questions or your wish list and let's see what happens.

Thank you.

David Smoak
Owner-Smoaky.com
SicEm365 Radio-Director of Broadcasting

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good questions. 

I never really pay attention to the home page. The forum pops up on whenever I open on phone, tablet and PC. I do go to it though from time to time to look at the historical info or school based info. Comes in handy for a broadcast. 

As far as any ideas I can’t think of anything right off the top of the dome. 

• Like 1

It's easy to go from the Home page to the forums, but not the other way around.  I think more people would regularly check out the Home page if there was a link to it on all the forum pages, kind of a reminder .... just a suggestion

• Like 4

It's hard to improve greatness.  Now that my kids are almost all out of school(3 of the 4 have graduated last is 11), I've just trolled mainly.  Social media has taken some of the great debates away but still this is the tried and true fan spot.  I agree with KirtFalcon's comment.

• Smoaky unpinned this topic

The historical section is a national treasure.  I don't use the rest very much.  Good news updates would be welcome for sure.  The Football Friday App takes care of the scores.  

Any additional "feeding" would be great.  As big as high school football is in texas, it is hard to get info on teams outside of the major cities.

• Like 2

Possibly you could recruit local media (radio, newspaper, etc) to provide score information in their area. Mavchamp does an excellent job keeping up with 5A sports. But as newspapers go to online subscriptions (understandably), the non-football scores are difficult discern. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/7/2021 at 12:54 PM, KirtFalcon said:

It's easy to go from the Home page to the forums, but not the other way around.  I think more people would regularly check out the Home page if there was a link to it on all the forum pages, kind of a reminder .... just a suggestion

What he said!! I love browsing the historical section but it's a pain if I am already in the forums. I don't visit or contribute near as much as I used to.

Kids all grown up and I have retired and enjoying it tremendously!!!

Not sure if anybody else would like it but since we now travel full time I enjoy reading about places to visit and Rv's that others have. A "travel/Rv/tow vehicles" forum would be nice to share great places to visit and Rv parks that are "must see" places. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SloppyJoe said:

19 years old! Smoaky is a spoiled teenager that needs to find a fulltime job! Or buckle down with books at the junior college. 

This sounds like most of the ones that lurk in the political forum. 😂

• LOL! 3

I browse the historical section(s) but mainly use Smoaky.com for the forums for sure. I don't care what the layout of the home page is. I would be open to maintaining a blog of some sort for Gladewater Football.  I've done it in the past more or less for fun and wouldn't mind sharing with others... 

I too love the historical section and would just love to see a lot more of the teams (schools) go in-depth on providing good all-time records and top runners, receivers, passers with stats (top 5 or so). I know it would take work from those schools. 

An app would be great!

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 2:43 PM, LoboFan07 said:

I definitely use a lot of the historical section, but the forums are the main things I pay attention to.

My only request is bringing back the Smoaky red to the boards!

The only way he could make the smoaky red page better…put more red in it 👀.  It was kinda his calling card,when it disappeared ,I really felt something had been lost.  🤷‍♂️

On 7/29/2021 at 11:49 AM, PelvisPresley said:

I too love the historical section and would just love to see a lot more of the teams (schools) go in-depth on providing good all-time records and top runners, receivers, passers with stats (top 5 or so). I know it would take work from those schools. 

An app would be great!

I 2nd an app.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2021 at 12:54 PM, KirtFalcon said:

Guess it's not a good idea? .....

• 4 months later...
2 minutes ago, Sportsjunkiee said:

This may be a bit nitpicky but would it be possible to have a feature so that when you clicked on a thread you would automatically be sent to the first reply you have not read instead of the top of the thread each time?

Already set up that way. Just tap on the title of the thread you been reading and it will take you right where you left off.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sportsjunkiee said:

This may be a bit nitpicky but would it be possible to have a feature so that when you clicked on a thread you would automatically be sent to the first reply you have not read instead of the top of the thread each time?

Click the star to left of thread title. 

• Like 1