Top 10 TXHSFB coaches winning percentage

Eagleborn

38 minutes ago, PantherNation2015 said:

He will likely be in the top 10 winning % by Christmas with another title.  Best of both worlds.  🤷‍♂️

Has to go undefeated ……..First week will be a good measuring stick if that might happen. 

Coach Todd Rodgers of Argyle:  2003- Present(18 seasons).  210-37  .850 winning percentage   Not bad at all for such a long tenure......definitely on the excellent side.  That's an average of 13.72 games per season for all 18 seasons.......official games.

12 hours ago, house said:

Surratt's coaching style is geared for winning the title more than the winning percentage.  There can be a difference.  

Agreed. Not to take anything away from the legendary Jeff Traylor, but Gilmer in the mid-2000s before the "District of Doom" days was in some very low "power rating" districts.

I well remember one night in that era when we were playing a district game against Sabine there. Bux got the ball back with less than two minutes before the half, having already scored about six or seven touchdowns. Gilmer "O" decided to see if they could execute the two-minute drill and score again right quick. Done. No problem.  As the game finally ended an hour or so later, the few Sabine partisans left in the stands booed Gilmer at the top of their lungs. 

It can be argued that some of these cupcake districts didn't adequately prepare the Bux for postseason play.  There's a balance to be struck. You don't want to play a perennial power each week,  but you need to play opponents that can give you a game.

I found the account of the Sabine game. Note Traylor's concern about the lack of competition:
https://gilmerbuckeyes.blogspot.com/2007/10/buckeyes-clip-cardinals-for-30th.html

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 36gut said:

Agreed. Not to take anything away from the legendary Jeff Traylor, but Gilmer in the mid-2000s before the "District of Doom" days was in some very low "power rating" districts.

I well remember one night in that era when we were playing a district game against Sabine there. Bux got the ball back with less than two minutes before the half, having already scored about six or seven touchdowns. Gilmer "O" decided to see if they could execute the two-minute drill and score again right quick. Done. No problem.  As the game finally ended an hour or so later, the few Sabine partisans left in the stands booed Gilmer at the top of their lungs. 

It can be argued that some of these cupcake districts didn't adequately prepare the Bux for postseason play.  There's a balance to be struck. You don't want to play a perennial power each week,  but you need to play opponents that can give you a game.

I found the account of the Sabine game. Note Traylor's concern about the lack of competition:
https://gilmerbuckeyes.blogspot.com/2007/10/buckeyes-clip-cardinals-for-30th.html

Seen one of the Cantons in photo. Lol

18 hours ago, house said:

Surratt's coaching style is geared for winning the title more than the winning percentage.  There can be a difference.  

Absolutely a difference! I remember before Surratt, Carthage’s pre-district schedules looked mighty different. Ever since Surratt took over, even in his first season, Carthage has always tried to schedule games up a classification and/or against the toughest competition they could work out. I I firmly believe in the old adage “iron sharpens iron”.