Week One: Longview vs Denton Ryan

LoboFan07

Longview Lobos (0-0) vs Denton Ryan Raiders (0-0)  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Longview in a blow out
    • Longview in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a close one
    • Denton Ryan in a blow out

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/28/2021 at 06:00 PM

longview.pngdentonryan2020.png

LONGVIEW LOBOS (0-0) VS DENTON RYAN RAIDERS (0-0)

DATE: Saturday, August 28th
TIME: 2:00 PM
LONGVIEW BROADCAST: 106.5 FM JACK FM
DENTON RYAN BROADCAST: 88.1 FM KNTU The One

dentonryan.pngRAIDERS LEAD SERIES 1-0-0 dentonryan.png

The two schools have never played a non-district contest.
The two schools have never played a district contest.
The Raiders have a 1-0 lead when the game is a playoff contest.
The Raiders have a 1-0 lead when the game is played at a neutral location.
The two schools have never played at Longview.
The two schools have never played at Denton Ryan.
The two schools have never played at the Ford Center at the Star.
The two schools have never played on August 28th.

LAST FIVE GAMES IN SERIES
12.26.2020 - Denton Ryan 27, Longview 9 - Mesquite Memorial Stadium
FULL GAME LOG

GAME PREVIEW & SERIES REVIEW:
The hot, summer months have turned again towards the sights of football season for the 113 year in Longview, Texas. Fresh off a season unlike any other in Lobo football, where most people were just happy to have been able to finish the season period, the Lobos head into the 2021 season with their biggest test to start a season since facing the 2008 Class 5A Division I State Champion Allen Eagles in 2009. Much like those Eagles, the Denton Ryan Raiders steamrolled through their regular season en route to their third state championship in program history. The meeting between Longview and Denton Ryan will be the first time in program history for the Lobos to open a season facing a team that had previously knocked them out of the post season. Last season, Denton Ryan and Longview battled to a 13-6 Ryan halftime lead. The Raiders dominated the second half though, rolling to a 27-9 victory at Mesquite’s Memorial Stadium. The 18 point loss was the largest playoff loss for the Lobos since a 38-10 loss to Austin Westlake in the 2012 playoffs. With the new season, Longview sees the departure of their all-time total and rushing touchdown leader in Kaden Meredith, who finished his Lobo football career with 60 total touchdowns and 57 rushing touchdowns. Stepping into that starting rushing spot, is expected to be sophomore sensation, Taylor Tatum, who already holds an offer from the University of Washington. Joining him on the field, is all-time offer holder at Longview High School in Jalen Hale, who as of this preview, holds 32 offers heading into his junior season. Jalen Hale’s 14 touchdowns in his first two season as a Lobo, already sits 5th all-time in receiving touchdown in Longview history, 9 behind record holder Kamden Perry. The big question for Longview this season, though, is who will be the starting quarterback. Junior to be Jordan Allen returns, but Josh Thomas, a transfer in from Jefferson, has thrown a wrench into the starting spot. Thomas, a senior, holds two offers heading into his first and final campaign as a Lobo. As for the Raiders, departure of senior Bear Alexander to Fort Worth Brewer as highlighted their off season in 2021. Still, the Raiders bring back heavy numbers on a defense that was beyond impressive throughout the 2020 state championship campaign. The Raiders will be breaking in a new quarterback themselves, as Seth Henigan departs for Memphis following his undefeated senior year. Khalon Davis takes over the reigns as the Raiders look to continue their winning ways in 2021. The Raiders head into the 2021 season having won 59 consecutive regular season games, 21 non-district games and 15-overall. Ryan’s last non-district loss came back 2014, a 20-13 home loss to the Rockwall Yellowjackets. The test in December for Longview was a monumental test. The test for the Lobos in August, will be no different. The site is set as Longview and Denton Ryan kickoff their 2021 seasons from Frisco’s Ford Center at the Star.

LAST GAME RESULTS FOR 7-5A DIVISION I:
Longview 9 Denton Ryan 27
Highland Park 7 Denton Ryan 17
McKinney North 9 Magnolia 48
Sherman 26 College Station 38
Tyler 14 Longview 58
West Mesquite 36 Sherman 50
Wylie East 0 Highland Park 51

WEEK ONE 7-5A DIVISION I SCHEDULE:
Longview v. Denton Ryan
Highland Park v. Southlake Carroll
McKinney North vs West Moore (OK)
Sherman vs Denison
Tyler at Texas High
West Mesquite vs Waco
Wylie East vs Mount Pleasant

DISTRICT 7-5A DIVISION I STANDINGS
1st. Longview (0-0, 0-0)
2nd. Highland Park (0-0, 0-0)
3rd. McKinney North (0-0, 0-0)
4th. Sherman (0-0, 0-0)
5th. Tyler (0-0, 0-0)
6th. West Mesquite (0-0, 0-0)
7th. Wylie East (0-0, 0-0)

DISTRICT 8-5A DIVISION I OVERVIEW
Last game - Cleveland defeated Conroe Caney Creek 34-3, College Station fell to Denton Ryan 52-21, Conroe Caney Creek fell to Cleveland 34-3, Lufkin fell to Longview 41-5, Magnolia fell to Frisco Lone Star 40-28, Magnolia West fell to College Station 70-28, New Caney fell to Highland Park 56-21, New Caney Porter fell to Magnolia 31-6, Waller fell to Lufkin 56-13.
This week - Cleveland hosts to Lamar Fulshear, College Station travels to Hutto, Conroe Caney Creek travels to Pasadena, Lufkin hosts Tyler Legacy, Magnolia travels to Katy Tompkins, Magnolia West hosts Brenham, New Caney hosts Marshall, New Caney Porter hosts Montgomery, Waller hosts Bryan.

LONGVIEW LOBOS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 7-5A Division I
Coach: John King (188-40 in 17 seasons) (Playoffs: 43-16)
First Year of Football: 1909
All-Time Record: 747-351-52 (Playoffs: 72-43-1)
Playoff Appearances: 46
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, Class 5A Division I Regional Round
State Championships (2): 1937 (1A), 2018 (6A D2)
State Championship Appearances (5): 1937 (1A), 1997 (5A D1), 2008 (4A D1), 2009 (4A D1), 2018 (6A D2)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Denton Ryan (in Frisco)
09.03 - vs Marshall
09.10 - at Tyler Legacy
09.17 - vs Bryant, AR
09.23 - at West Mesquite
10.01 - vs Wylie East
10.08 - at Highland Park
10.15 - vs Sherman
10.28 - at McKinney North
11.05 - vs Tyler

DENTON RYAN RAIDERS
Record: 0-0 (0-0)
District: 5-5A Division 1
Coach:  Dave Henigan (90-10 in 7 seasons) (Playoffs: 29-6)
First Year of Football: 1994
All-Time Record: 255-94-0 (Playoffs: 65-17-0)
Playoff Appearances: 20
Last Playoff Appearance: 2020, 5A Division I State Championship
State Championships (3): 2001 (4A D1), 2002 (4A D1), 2020 (5A D1)
State Championship Appearances (7): 2000 (4A D1), 2001 (4A D1), 2002 (4A D2), 2003 (4A D2), 2010 (4A D1), 2019 (5A D1), 2020 (5A D1)
SCHEDULE:
08.28 - v. Longview (in Arlington)
09.03 - v. Denton Guyer
09.10 - vs Frisco Reedy
09.16 - v. Denton
09.23 - vs Frisco Wakeland
09.30 - at Frisco Centennial
10.07 - vs Lewisville The Colony
10.22 - at Frisco Heritage
10.29 - vs Frisco Independence
11.05 - at Frisco Lone Star

ON THIS DATE IN LOBO HISTORY: August 28th
In 2009, Defending 5A State Champion Allen visited Lobo Stadium for the first time and showed why they were worthy of their #1 ranking to open the season as they jumped out to a 17-0 lead over the 2008 4A D1 State Finalist, and 2nd ranked, Lobos. But a 23 yard touchdown run by Carey Fortson sparked Longview in the third quarter to 28 points and a 28-17 lead midway through the 4th quarter. A Da’Cedric Hunt rush, an unbelievable run by Tyler McCray and an Aaron Johnson run were the scores for the Lobos. Allen pulled to within three points late in the 4th but Longview held on for a thrilling 28-25 victory of open the year.
In 2015, Longview and Lufkin met a year after Longview overcame a 28-point deficit to knock the Panthers out by 1-point…and this rivalry game was no different. Malik Jackson got the scoring going for the Pack before Longview’s Michael Ross tallied. Tylan Miller gave the Lobos the lead in the 2nd quarter before a 92-yard punt return from Savon Fields had the game tied at 14 at halftime. Tylan Miller gave the Lobos the lead in the 4th quarter, before Jadrien Bennett pulled in the touchdown to pull Lufkin within 1-point again in the last minute of the game. Deciding to kick the extra point, Longview’s Ameron Dean blocked the extra point attempt to give the Lobos a 21-20 victory.

lobohowl2.GIF
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, LOL said:

I'm trusting that our young o-line comes together in time to pull this one out. 

They'll definitely get a huge test right out of the gate. Hopefully we've settled on a QB going into this one, and we're not playing pass it back and forth again. But offense definitely has to come to play. I think our D will be fine for the most part. They'll get their stops. But much like last season, it's going to come down to the Lobo O line and the Ryan D line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

They'll definitely get a huge test right out of the gate. Hopefully we've settled on a QB going into this one, and we're not playing pass it back and forth again. But offense definitely has to come to play. I think our D will be fine for the most part. They'll get their stops. But much like last season, it's going to come down to the Lobo O line and the Ryan D line.

I couldn't agree more.  I really think it is possible that the O-line may even be weaker part of the team to start the year than the QB position.  It is going to be a huge test right out of the gate.

The OL will be interesting to watch but with Jax Norman, Blair Williams and Jesse Fairchild anchoring things up front...there's some hope that they can win some battles especially with Bear Alexander gone. He was just unblockable. But the concerns are definitely warranted and understood. Ryan still has plenty of talent in that front 7.

Looking forward to seeing how sophomore Taylor Tatum will stack up against that Ryan defensive front. One of the best 2024 RBs in the nation.

The big area to watch for me is the secondary where 3 talented, but young sophomores will start for Longview. I can't remember a year when Longview started 3 sophomores in the secondary, so this will be a very unique situation.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I dunno, man. That's usually the toughest unit to get to gel and usually takes the longest. 

How did they look at the subvarsity level?

Raw...  that's all I'll say here, and inconsistent during spring practice.  ANTI has done far more film study on 'em than I have. I think the talent is there, but yeah, they gotta gel. No reason why they can't be solid by district play, but there's gonna be a learning curve. 

22 hours ago, LOL said:

Raw...  that's all I'll say here, and inconsistent during spring practice.  ANTI has done far more film study on 'em than I have. I think the talent is there, but yeah, they gotta gel. No reason why they can't be solid by district play, but there's gonna be a learning curve. 

I have always enjoyed when we play new programs.  IT is always a good challenge.  I have been watching quite a bit of video on Bryant.  They are a pretty disciplined in line play and have some good size.  They aren't even on the same planet as DR but will also be a great test for our Oline.  They stunt a lot and come at you from so many different angles.  Its going to be very interesting.

Another note, they look like HP in their offense, 4-5 wide with a hurry up tempo.  They replace a lot of offensive starters but going to be a good test for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

I have always enjoyed when we play new programs.  IT is always a good challenge.  I have been watching quite a bit of video on Bryant.  They are a pretty disciplined in line play and have some good size.  They aren't even on the same planet as DR but will also be a great test for our Oline.  They stunt a lot and come at you from so many different angles.  Its going to be very interesting.

Another note, they look like HP in their offense, 4-5 wide with a hurry up tempo.  They replace a lot of offensive starters but going to be a good test for us.

Are you watching last season or stuff from this spring? As you said, it sounds like they're replacing quite a bit...including their 3 year starter at QB. It'll definitely be a fun test. Much bigger than North Little Rock gave us back in 2012.

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Are you watching last season or stuff from this spring? As you said, it sounds like they're replacing quite a bit...including their 3 year starter at QB. It'll definitely be a fun test. Much bigger than North Little Rock gave us back in 2012.

Mostly stuff from the last 5 years.  There are a couple of individual player workout snipets online/twitter but not really from what is coming up.  They are replacing a lot but it looks like their subvarsity team was pretty solid the last few years...but information is scarce.

• Like 1

On 7/28/2021 at 11:02 AM, JohnnyFootball said:

I dunno, man. That's usually the toughest unit to get to gel and usually takes the longest. 

How did they look at the subvarsity level?

Fine.

The biggest thing is familiarity because of moving pieces.

De'Qualin Vaughn was one of two returning OL from last year, but he has moved from LT to TE (which better fits him and gives us a big body at the position + a solid extra blocker). 

So, Jax Norman, who started at RT last year as a sophomore...has moved to LT. 

That then caused Jesse Fairchild to move from the DL to RT.

Blair Williams, who backed up the varsity LG position last season as a sophomore, will start at one of the guard positions (he played both left and right guard in the spring). FBS potential here, 6'2 325.

Questions going into the fall is who will be at C and the other G position. Some good candidates, just have have to stick to a 5 and let them gain some chemistry. Norman, Williams and Fairchild are a solid 3 to build around though.

No shortage of talent, it'll just take a few weeks to gel. Luckily, King is one of, if not the top OL guru in the state. We'll be okay.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 7:44 PM, ANTI said:

Fine.

The biggest thing is familiarity because of moving pieces.

De'Qualin Vaughn was one of two returning OL from last year, but he has moved from LT to TE (which better fits him and gives us a big body at the position + a solid extra blocker). 

So, Jax Norman, who started at RT last year as a sophomore...has moved to LT. 

That then caused Jesse Fairchild to move from the DL to RT.

Blair Williams, who backed up the varsity LG position last season as a sophomore, will start at one of the guard positions (he played both left and right guard in the spring). FBS potential here, 6'2 325.

Questions going into the fall is who will be at C and the other G position. Some good candidates, just have have to stick to a 5 and let them gain some chemistry. Norman, Williams and Fairchild are a solid 3 to build around though.

No shortage of talent, it'll just take a few weeks to gel. Luckily, King is one of, if not the top OL guru in the state. We'll be okay.

Center is biggest concern for me due to our historic issues with bad snaps etc.  going to watch this closely.  Expect DR to hammer us on stunts and blitzing of the renter if we have issues in the Texas high scrimmage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kingwolf said:

Center is biggest concern for me due to our historic issues with bad snaps etc.  going to watch this closely.  Expect DR to hammer us on stunts and blitzing of the renter if we have issues in the Texas high scrimmage.

Yep.

For me, false starts is the biggest thing that needed to be cleaned up IMO, but not sure if it was the linemen or the cadence causing it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JETT said:

May have been posted already but how are tickets being sold for this game? Probably going to make the trip that Fri night and go support them L lobos... any info is greatly appreciated 

Not sure about in-person ticket sales, but we're going to have a link for online sales later this week. Thursday or Friday, probably. 

• Like 2