The Cross-County Rivalry You Miss Most

SloppyJoe

I miss the way Shelby County football teams used to have all similar size schools play each other before the season finished. Years ago when Timpson, Joaquin and Tenaha were 1A schools they were in district together. Shelbyville was 2A but usually played the others before conference games. It was almost like a round-robin tourney by the end! Any more Texas rivalries that still keep this stuff alive?

2 hours ago, SloppyJoe said:

I miss the way Shelby County football teams used to have all similar size schools play each other before the season finished. Years ago when Timpson, Joaquin and Tenaha were 1A schools they were in district together. Shelbyville was 2A but usually played the others before conference games. It was almost like a round-robin tourney by the end! Any more Texas rivalries that still keep this stuff alive?

I miss Overton-Arp being a legit rivalry, as well as Overton-Troup. There used to be some intense games between those neighboring schools. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LOL said:

I remember when having Union Grove on the schedule was a guaranteed W

Oh My God Wow GIF

Now that one hurts lol. 

It’s amazing what getting to be in a District with Hawkins, Big Sandy, and etc. instead of EF, ARP, Troup, West Rusk, and etc. has done for that school.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Now that one hurts lol. 

It’s amazing what getting to be in a District with Hawkins, Big Sandy, and etc. instead of EF, ARP, Troup, West Rusk, and etc. has done for that school.

Yep...  in just my own lifetime it's been interesting to see the ebbs and flows of various small-town programs. Depending on favorable demographics and/or economics, you see some schools continue to grow and flourish. While some past powers have become all but irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, centex1 said:

I know that they would never play and I am not calling for them to play but any Carthage Beckville Tatum historians know did those 3 ever consistently play each other? Like in the 50-60s or earlier than that? 

We were in same district with Carthage in early 2000s…

Same with Beckville earlier on. 

First time to play either was 1935.
4-3-3 overall against Carthage. 
22-19-4 overall against Beckville. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Two things there that somewhat surprised me:

I would have thought Carthage- Tatum would have played more than 10 games, (although seeing Tatum played Beckville 45 times over the same period should have told me otherwise), and I would not have expected Tatum- Beckville to be that competitive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

Two things there that somewhat surprised me:

I would have thought Carthage- Tatum would have played more than 10 games, (although seeing Tatum played Beckville 45 times over the same period should have told me otherwise), and I would not have expected Tatum- Beckville to be that competitive. 

Tatum didn’t really become Tatum until Mayflower shut down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Eagleborn said:

Thats cool thank you. I wonder if Beckville used to play Carthage?