The GOP: From the Three Gees to the Three Vees.

BarryLaverty

So, today's Republican party? Let's compare tactics from some years ago. 

Back in the dark ages of the last century, the right-wing culture war was often described with a reference to the three Gs: “God, guns and gays.”

These days, the right-wing culture war is perhaps better described with three Vs: vaccine derangement, validation of white racial innocence, and valorization of insurrectionists.

• LOL! 1
  • Stinks 1

15 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

So, today's Republican party? Let's compare tactics from some years ago. 

Back in the dark ages of the last century, the right-wing culture war was often described with a reference to the three Gs: “God, guns and gays.”

These days, the right-wing culture war is perhaps better described with three Vs: vaccine derangement, validation of white racial innocence, and valorization of insurrectionists.

Gee, Barry...what a broad brush! I'm sure you'd be disappointed in your students if they used that.

Here's your logical fallacy for today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization#Hasty_generalization

And a brush broader than Bob Ross' 2-inch brush. Your current broad one must be wearing out.

3844.jpg

• LOL! 5

41 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Gee, Barry...what a broad brush! I'm sure you'd be disappointed in your students if they used that.

Here's your logical fallacy for today: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faulty_generalization#Hasty_generalization

And a brush broader than Bob Ross' 2-inch brush. Your current broad one must be wearing out.

3844.jpg

Go back and count your posts and see how many fit that middle one. 

2 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Go back and count your posts and see how many fit that middle one. 

Yep. I own it. I'm an imperfect person. A work in progress. And I make no bones about it. Do you?

But to quote Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone: "My hypocrisy goes only so far."

28 minutes ago, PepeSilvia said:

Still using your CNN article in a misleading way I see. 

Did it say that in the article? Did I misquote the screen shot? No, those are the facts. Not misleading anything. You posted the whole article on the other thread.  Nothing to hide 

9 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Barry, are you saying you have been racist?

I have not been racist, so yes, I am innocent of racism and I am white.

Do I get a invite to the white pride rally? I want to know how it feels 

• LOL! 1

8 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Barry, are you saying you have been racist?

I have not been racist, so yes, I am innocent of racism and I am white.

Didn't you know? If you're white and you're Republican/Conservative, you're automatically racist! In some cases, you don't even have to be Conservative or Republican. According to some Liberals/Leftists, you're automatically racist if you're white. And it's not enough for them for you to just not be racist. You're either racist (where you discriminate based on race) or you're antiracist (where you discriminate based on race).

1 minute ago, Monte1076 said:

Don't know where that is. Didn't know there was such a thing.

Why is it OK for POCs to be proud of themselves, but others can't be proud of themselves?

There's whites at Juneteenth parade in tyler, doubt you'd see blacks at a white pride rally.. everyone should be proud of themselves! 

2 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

Don't know where that is. Didn't know there was such a thing.

Why is it OK for POCs to be proud of themselves, but others can't be proud of themselves?

Now I know you have studied history, so puzzling for you not to acknowledge that in our country POC groups have been brutally treated and diminished and undereducated and discriminated against for much of our country's history, made to feel lesser or even subhuman because of color by a white majority. Can you even admit that is so? 
When POC and now LBGTQ groups have pride parades, I see it as an assertion of their very humanity. How do you see it? 

10 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

Now I know you have studied history, so puzzling for you not to acknowledge that in our country POC groups have been brutally treated and diminished and undereducated and discriminated against for much of our country's history, made to feel lesser or even subhuman because of color by a white majority. Can you even admit that is so? 

I smell a little bit of a "trap" in that question.

I certainly acknowledge it, and as I've said POCs should be proud of themselves. But I don't think Antiracism or CRT are the fix. And when it boils down to this:

Black Pride = YAY!
Proud to be white = BOO, you white supremacist!

You can see how people can see that as a problem.

Further, that doesn't mean I have to be ashamed of myself for being white, nor does it mean that I'm a "white supremacist" (like many on your side of the aisle seem to think) if I don't think the way that many (probably the loudest) on your side of the aisle think I should be thinking. Nor does it mean that I'm automatically a racist (this view is also being spread, generally on your side of the aisle, granted not by everyone, but there are VERY vocal proponents of this) for simply being white. And sure, you can say, "Nobody's saying that", but that simply isn't true.

I've noticed something that you do, and I'm trying to figure out why you do it. I know you now capitalize the B when referencing black people. Do you capitalize the W when referencing white people? Why or why not? I know it was some thing that someone said that they started doing a few months back. I assume that's why.

11 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

When POC and now LBGTQ groups have pride parades, I see it as an assertion of their very humanity. How do you see it? 

I know you use that term “studied history” very loosely. We both know that watching a bunch of YouTube videos is not exactly studying history. 

1 hour ago, PepeSilvia said:

I know you use that term “studied history” very loosely. We both know that watching a bunch of YouTube videos is not exactly studying history. 

And studying theories in the classroom without fact base evidence isn't real either. I am guessing that you have never watched "Liberty Kids" off of youtube or when you were younger. LOL.