Delta Variant Fears Hitting Worldwide Economy

BarryLaverty

Rationale for getting vaccinated? Fear of Covid resurgence is hitting the economy, as the delta variant is spiking worldwide. 

(Washington Post)

Business
Dow slides 800 points as delta variant fears spark global sell-off
Asian, European and U.S indexes tumble as a resurgence in coronavirus cases looms over the economic recovery

By 
Taylor Telford
July 19, 2021|Updated today at 10:46 a.m. EDT

Global stock markets swooned Monday, with the Dow slumping more than 800 points in morning trading, as investors grow increasingly anxious about a delta-led resurgence in coronavirus cases and the threat it poses to economic growth. Oil prices also fell sharply.

The delta variant has become the dominant strain worldwide and is surging rapidly, even in countries with high vaccination rates. Positive cases are trickling steadily out of the Olympic Village ahead of the Games kickoff later this week. Many are fearful the uptick will lead to a resumption in travel and business restrictions.

Asian markets closed in the red across the board, with Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index leading the losses with a more than 1.8 percent drop. European markets posted even steeper declines, with Germany’s DAX and France’s CAC40 both tumbling nearly 3 percent and the Stoxx 600 off more than 2.5 percent.

By 10:20 a.m. Eastern time, the Dow Jones industrial average had fallen more than 800 points, or 2.3 percent, to 33,887. The S&P 500 index had fallen 1.8 percent to 4,246 and the tech-heavy Nasdaq had fallen 1.5 percent to 14,205.

Companies whose fates are tethered to the recovery were hit hard in early trading, with Carnival Cruises, American Airlines and United Airlines all sliding more than 7 percent. Energy stocks were also pummeled, with Exxon Mobil and Chevron both sliding more than 3 percent.

“The big concern for the market is whether we going to see a slowdown in the global economic recovery,” Russ Mould, investment director at AJ Bell, wrote in commentary Monday. “This could be the overriding force which results in a bad period for equities in the weeks ahead.”

The market jitters and growing cases counts echo the earlier days of the pandemic, when stocks whipsawed with record volatility as investors struggled to get their arms around the breadth of the pandemic’s impact on the global economy.

Investors flocked to safe havens, pushing the yield on the 10-year U.S. Treasury note down to 1.229 percent, its lowest level since February. Bond yields fall as prices rise.

Oil prices also tanked. Over the weekend, OPEC and its allies agreed to ramp up production despite the uncertainty with the delta variant, saying that oil demand is showing “clear signs of improvement” in a statement Sunday. Brent crude, the international oil benchmark, shed more than 4.7 percent to trade at $70.10 per barrel. West Texas intermediate crude, the U.S. oil benchmark, declined more than 5 percent to $68.09.

Markets had been a on a record-breaking run after cratering in the early days of the pandemic. Despite today’s sell-off, the Dow remains up nearly 27 percent for the year, according to MarketWatch.

“Our streak of winning weeks in the market has come to an end,” Chris Larkin, managing director of trading at eTrade, said in commentary Monday. “While pullbacks like we’re seeing today can rattle the nerves, it’s important to remember that the market is near all-time highs, and corrections are a natural part of a healthy market.”

I expect more shutdowns this fall and winter as the delta variant roars through the unvaccinated community. Hospitalizations and deaths are already climbing again and will continue to do so. Too bad people are going to die because of their political ideology.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I expect more shutdowns this fall and winter as the delta variant roars through the unvaccinated community. Hospitalizations and deaths are already climbing again and will continue to do so. Too bad people are going to die because of their political ideology.

Not sure if serious 🤔

30 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Too bad sheep continue to be dictated to by their government masters.......

Just now, BarryLaverty said:

Too bad unvaccinated people continue to die at a much, much, much higher rate than those who are vaccinated. 

According to stats coming from agencies already SHOWN to have bee lying from the beginning......

Just now, RETIREDFAN1 said:

According to stats coming from agencies already SHOWN to have bee lying from the beginning......

Will keep all on the prayer list who continue to not believe in the facts presented about it, that they don't get it. Thought we were near the end of it. Should have known that politics would play a part. 

1 minute ago, BarryLaverty said:

Will keep all on the prayer list who continue to not believe in the facts presented about it, that they don't get it. Thought we were near the end of it. Should have known that politics would play a part. 

What "facts"?? The LIES from WHO or the LIES from CDC??? 

55 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Ain't no political ideology, even if Trump was still in office, still wouldn't get vaccinated. My personal belief.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ObiOne said:

Are the covid vaccines like any others that have ever been used on humans?

Im no doctor but I do know that corona viruses have been around for a long time and a great deal of research was done long before the on set of Covid 19. Much of the leg work had already been done...that is why they were able to develop a vaccine for C19 so quickly. Here is a pretty good article about it https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-history

3 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

Im no doctor but I do know that corona viruses have been around for a long time and a great deal of research was done long before the on set of Covid 19. Much of the leg work had already been done...that is why they were able to develop a vaccine for C19 so quickly. Here is a pretty good article about it https://www.webmd.com/lung/coronavirus-history

So no, this type of vaccine has never been used on humans.  It isn't that hard to say.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

It's hitting the vaccinated community too.  I've been reading about numerous cases of that happening.  This article states that they are asymptomatic, but they can still pass on the virus to others.  https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/most-fully-vaccinated-people-who-get-covid-delta-infections-are-asymptomatic-who-says-.html

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I sure hope it isn't much worse than the previous "plague" with  94-99% survival rate.  Practically armageddon!

I've read that the symptoms are similar to the common cold.  I think I had the Delta variant, because it was mild and went away after 4 days.  The first night was the worst with stomach issues and I thought maybe I had food poisoning.  Then stuffed up couldn't taste or smell, but poof gone after the 4th day.  I still got up and moved around, because I've heard sleeping through it makes it worse, and allows the fluid to build up on your lungs.  I'm no doctor, but I've become more informed about this virus than any other in the known history of man.  https://www.everydayhealth.com/coronavirus/research-provides-hints-about-why-exercise-may-help-protect-against-covid-19-complications/ .  Many people shut down if they're sick, and they won't even get out of bed thinking that rest will help their recovery faster.  I don't see it as such.  Even when I was a kid my Momma used to tell me to go outside when I had the croup to get some Vitamin D from the sun.  Sometimes even old wives tales are accurate.  

23 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

Yeah, 600000 plus people dead so far and many thousands with lasting effects of this is really just a trifle. 

I hear ya man,  some of that rona was so bad it caused gunshot wounds.

58 minutes ago, BarryLaverty said:

I think the count is way low, actually, as do most who work in that field. 

So.....what they and you THINK is irrelevant......all the LIES about the numbers and actual causes of death has cost the media, CDC, and WHO all their credibility.......