OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

14 hours ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Anyone in their right mind thinks this is happening lol. Come on 

uh, well if you listen to the responses from the big people and know the landscape that they are truly seeking to go to 4 giant conferences...it'd make the expanded playoff even more useful...champ from each of the 4 conferences (maybe runner-up too) then either next 4 at-large or next 8 at-large.

4 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

uh, well if you listen to the responses from the big people and know the landscape that they are truly seeking to go to 4 giant conferences...it'd make the expanded playoff even more useful...champ from each of the 4 conferences (maybe runner-up too) then either next 4 at-large or next 8 at-large.

Did you read what he said?  Anyone in their right mind thinks this IS happening.

• LOL! 1

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

Has there been any sec sources on this? It seems like its the Texas and ou side leaking things at this point. Which points towards leverage. The two wouldn't tip their hand if this move was happening. 

this was an A&M beat writer that broke this story for the Houston Chronicle. 

12 hours ago, WETSU said:

Perhaps. I just think the timing of all of this makes zero sense for anyone. I don't know who leaked it if anyone but until I see an official statement from the sec I think this is just leverage for TV. 

he was interviewed and said that the story was going to break and some big time university administration people were wanting this out there and in the end after they went to Texas, OU, SEC, etc sources for confirmation and were getting the "no comment" and "we can't comment on this right now" messages they ran on it.

Just now, CoachPelvisPresley said:

supposedly only need a majority vote in the SEC

Just now, CoachPelvisPresley said:

75% of 14 teams to approve it

30 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

now that is naïve, but if you offer kids Texas and Texas A&M heads up with both in the SEC...and yes now both have incredible everything (Aggie has spent and spent since joining the SEC to catch up) and done well and saying "we're in the SEC" has been the edge of late in getting those stud athletes...if in equal conferences, that "SEC value kid" will all of a sudden spin and come to Texas too in equal or more quantities which is what scares the A&M AD. Aggie has definitely benefited from being in the SEC alone greatly...

Weird. I was told for years that it had no effect. 🤔

• LOL! 1

Don't really care whether it happens or not. Think it's HILARIOUS after all the posturing 10 years ago when A&M decided to make the move that OU and Texas want in now after getting denied by the PAC 12 a few years ago. It'll kill the Longhorn Network, which is what kicked off the original move. So yay?

I will be interested to see a few things:

1) What will this mean for SEC divisions, scheduling, etc.? I've seen the idea floated that there will be 4 "pods" of 4 teams. If that's the case, I'd like to be in with LSU and the Miss schools.

2) What will this mean for other conferences? They'll likely see the need to form "super" conferences as well and we will then be left with 4 super conferences- B1G, SEC, ACC, PAC, so you'll have a north, south, east, and west. Sadly, this will leave a lot of programs out in the dust, since then the playoff will basically be the 4 conference champions. 

4 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Weird. I was told for years that it had no effect. 🤔

Yep. Went from "No recruit is committing to A&M simply because they play in the sec" to "when this happens A&M won't have a recruiting advantage and will go back to 2005 again" really quick didnt it? 

Of course A&M got an advantage when they went to the sec. But they also poured the money required to change the culture. Anyone who thinks this program is in the same position it was in 2005 and will go back there just because Texas joins the sec doesn't have a clue. 

Texas joining will change things recruiting wise, but not at the level they are thinking. 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Yep. Went from "No recruit is committing to A&M simply because they play in the sec" to "when this happens A&M won't have a recruiting advantage and will go back to 2005 again" really quick didnt it? 

Of course A&M got an advantage when they went to the sec. But they also poured the money required to change the culture. Anyone who thinks this program is in the same position it was in 2005 and will go back there just because Texas joins the sec doesn't have a clue. 

Texas joining will change things recruiting wise, but not at the level they are thinking. 

It will be watered down imo. OU recruits Texas almost just the same...

9 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Right? That one loser clamored for YEARS that it had no affect on A&M's recruiting and now he's saying, "They'll no longer have that advantage!" 

A&M got a recruiting bump in the SEC. They started killing it with the Jimbo hire. That's why I'm not worried if Texas joins. We'll still have Jimbo who is an elite recruiter. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Do they? Or is it 75% vote? I remember distinctly that it was 75% for A&M/Mizzou to join. That might've changed. I'd say if it's "majority" then it's likely to happen. If it's 75% vote, then it's a lot less likely to happen because they'll need 11/14. Vanderbilt will probably abstain, as they do, A&M will vote no, and then you only need 2 others to kill it. 

I don't know if Florida, Kentucky, or South Carolina would vote Texas in, since it would be likely that Clemson, Louisville, Florida State, or Miami might try to join at some point and A&M would vote them in in retaliation. They don't want that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Do they? Or is it 75% vote? I remember distinctly that it was 75% for A&M/Mizzou to join. That might've changed. I'd say if it's "majority" then it's likely to happen. If it's 75% vote, then it's a lot less likely to happen because they'll need 11/14. Vanderbilt will probably abstain, as they do, A&M will vote no, and then you only need 2 others to kill it. 

I don't know if Florida, Kentucky, or South Carolina would vote Texas in, since it would be likely that Clemson, Louisville, Florida State, or Miami might try to join at some point and A&M would vote them in in retaliation. They don't want that. 

I’ve still heard 75% vote.

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I guess if they do join it will answer the question about who’s mid tier programs are stronger? Big12-2 or SuperSEC. TCU, Iowa State, Baylor, Okie State, WVU.

So what happens to those schools? Some of them would land on their feet, but Baylor, Tech, TCU may be left out to dry.