OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

8 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Not for that reason. If you cling to past and don’t move forward to better yourself , then you will never be happy.

I thought the purpose of playing games was to win.  Playing certain teams each year and bragging rights are a plus.  Playing teams you have no history with is fun, and I don’t mind it for ooc games and bowl games.    But to strictly line yourself up for a slight bump in funding, meh, you give up a bunch of what made college football fun for many generations.  

36 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Right? That one loser clamored for YEARS that it had no affect on A&M's recruiting and now he's saying, "They'll no longer have that advantage!" 

A&M got a recruiting bump in the SEC. They started killing it with the Jimbo hire. That's why I'm not worried if Texas joins. We'll still have Jimbo who is an elite recruiter. 

I assume you’re talking about me since you always do.  If not, stop me now.  Where have I said that aTm would be losing an advantage today or yesterday (pertaining to Texas joining the sec)?  I have not.  In fact, I’m against joining as of right now.  If you weren’t talking about me then I apologize

7 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

But LOL at Finebaum saying last month that Texas was completely irrelevant. His tune changed real quick.

They are always two parts of these discussions. 

Their is the football side and the money side. The money side makes these decisions. No matter how irreverent Texas is on the football side they will always be relevant on the money side.

Just now, Stoney said:

I was thinking they stole your pod idea.

I just don’t want a bunch of “protected” rivalries. 

If you play at a school for four years you should at least play every team in your conference one time on the regular season during those four years.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

I just don’t want a bunch of “protected” rivalries. 

If you play at a school for four years you should at least play every team in your conference one time on the regular season during those four years.

I agree. If we are going to get these huge conferences just do away with OOC games too. 

Sad to tell you, but EA jumped the shark a while back. If you expect the new NCAA Football game to get anywhere close to what the old ones are, you may be seriously disappointed. 

I'm hoping they can recapture the awesomeness of some of those old games, but I'm skepitcal. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

IF, big IF, Texas joins the sec, I would hope the 3-4 ooc games would be Baylor, Tech and Ok State.  Those are three quality rivalries that are competitive most years.  They wouldn’t hurt sos most years.  

If the 4 super conferences are formed and it essentially splits D1 football into an upper and lower division with their own championship...you'll quit seeing those OOC games because they will essentially not be in the same division.

About 48 choices of teams for OOC games each year...three 16 team super conferences of teams.

37 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Sad to tell you, but EA jumped the shark a while back. If you expect the new NCAA Football game to get anywhere close to what the old ones are, you may be seriously disappointed. 

I'm hoping they can recapture the awesomeness of some of those old games, but I'm skepitcal. 

Keep the Madden guys away from NCAA. If I’ve waited all this time and it’s Madden with coeds I’m going to be ticked.

• Thanks 1

yes, this looks like something legit that the conference may have seriously put together to keep A&M (#### for Arky because I have seen them out of the UT pod) happy in accepting that Texas would be coming in..."hey, you'll have to play the Longhorns, BUT not every year and you won't be in their direct pod, etc"

1 minute ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

yes, this looks like something legit that the conference may have seriously put together to keep A&M happy in accepting that Texas would be coming in..."hey, you'll have to play the Longhorns, BUT not every year and you won't be in their direct pod, etc"

Playing Texas isn't the problem. From a football standpoint A&M wants the game. But not at the expense of having to sit at the table with Texas. That's what this has all been about. It has zero to do with the actual game and everything to do with the politics of getting it started. 

If Texas and A&M are not in the same pod it will more than limely be about getting as many teams in the state of Texas for road games as possible. If you have them in the same pod you limit the teams who rotate home and homes within Texas but if you have them in different pods you draw Texas TV eyes to two different pods as well as giving more teams chances to cycle in a road trip to Texas. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valhalla said:

If Oklahoma and Texas join the SEC then it will not be possible to form 4 super conferences. It will be the SEC and the Big 10, and then everyone else.

I like the ACC… they are kind of stuck, but they can recruit the coast and add schools like Rutgers and some players in other sports other than football…. That doesn’t really help their brand, but if we go the way of super conferences, you get who you can get while you can get them.