OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

40 minutes ago, WETSU said:

The thing about King is that he has never really focused on football. He's been an all around athlete that has barely tapped his potential at the position. 

I do think arm strength was a concern but that could simply be he was probably 170 pounds when he got to A&M 😂. Just the natural bulk up to a solid 210 or so playing weight would add tons of strength to his arm IMO. But make no mistake he is not a guy that runs and can throw a little bit. He has good accuracy and has very nice touch on deep throws. His legs are an asset not his main strength. He's not a Heard type player like mentioned above. 

Right, the starting QB son of the Head football coach of a 6A school didn’t focus on football. 

I know the kid played basketball and ran track, but let’s not pretend that his life wasn’t all about football.

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Right, the starting QB son of the Head football coach of a 6A school didn’t focus on football. 

I meant exclusively. Like he's not one of those kids that worked with a private QB coach hitting the camp circuits all spring/summer. He played multiple sports and worked on things that did not just benefit him as a football player. He has not given 100℅ focus towards improving his body and technique the way many elite qb recruits do. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

The SEC isn’t going to be some magic bandage for all the problems Texas has had the last decade. 

If Texas didn’t #### for a decade they might not even be joining the SEC.

I don't remember anybody saying that would be the case.

• Like 1

I didn't think this would go down.  After listening to the radio today, I think it's a done deal.  I think it's a terrible move.  I realize that they have expanded the playoffs, but it will mean less teams from the SEC in.  The Big XII can bring in two more teams, and I would say that the Big XII winner will still make the playoffs.  OU was almost always in the playoffs, and they're throwing that away.  I realize they're going to make more money in the SEC, but they're going to have to pay $79 million to leave the Big XII.  That could be chump change to them.  To me it just means they're more interested in the $$$ than competing for a championship.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valhalla said:

The SEC isn’t going to be some magic bandage for all the problems Texas has had the last decade. 

If Texas didn’t #### for a decade they might not even be joining the SEC.

This is correct. The Sec is taking OU for its on field actions. The Sec is taking Texas for its revenue off the field. Until Texas can win football game at the high level, that’s what these 2 universities bring to the Sec. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustAFan11 said:

This is correct. The Sec is taking OU for its on field actions. The Sec is taking Texas for its revenue off the field. Until Texas can win football game at the high level, that’s what these 2 universities bring to the Sec. 

Assuming the move to the SEC happens in 2022, the 2021 product on the field could be huge for the Longhorns………If Sark has the 2021 Horns playing well and wins 10+ games, recruiting and transfers probably goes really well. 
2021 Horns win 7 or less games, it probably is going to be very few 5 stars and really good transfers coming to Austin until winning(somehow) picks up. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cotton84 said:

Assuming the move to the SEC happens in 2022, the 2021 product on the field could be huge for the Longhorns………If Sark has the 2021 Horns playing well and wins 10+ games, recruiting and transfers probably goes really well. 
2021 Horns win 7 or less games, it probably is going to be very few 5 stars and really good transfers coming to Austin until winning(somehow) picks up. 

I don’t disagree that success on the field leads to better recruiting. However, there is a  recent example that proves  it can be more about the recruiting process itself than about the product on the field. Alabama recruited the 2008 class (which was the foundation for the 2009 national championship, which was the springboard for the dynasty) during and after a 7-6 2007 season. It’s simply about getting kids to buy into what you’re selling. UT has an advantage Saban didn’t have then, too. They are the largest, most prestigious university with the best football tradition in the most talent-rich state in the country. If a recruiting staff is doing its job, Longhorn football should basically sell itself. 

9 hours ago, cotton84 said:

If the University of Texas is an expert at anything then it’s getting kids to buy into hope with no results to back it up.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL! 1

23 minutes ago, cotton84 said:

2005…….2000

At the end of the day, this is all that matters. Not Conference Championships, not top 25 rankings, not first round draft picks. Been way too long for both of these programs...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, trueblue82 said:

I don’t disagree that success on the field leads to better recruiting. However, there is a  recent example that proves  it can be more about the recruiting process itself than about the product on the field. Alabama recruited the 2008 class (which was the foundation for the 2009 national championship, which was the springboard for the dynasty) during and after a 7-6 2007 season. It’s simply about getting kids to buy into what you’re selling. UT has an advantage Saban didn’t have then, too. They are the largest, most prestigious university with the best football tradition in the most talent-rich state in the country. If a recruiting staff is doing its job, Longhorn football should basically sell itself. 

And so far under Sark, there has been no first year bump with recruits. He’s got kids decommitting left and right. Quinn Ewers left for Ohio State. Cade Klubnik was right in there backyard at Westlake and they take the Malik Murphy kid over him from California. These kids don’t care about 2005 or VY or Colt. I’ve seen some guys on the Horns boards taking about how Sark basically has the same talent at Texas as he did at Bama. That’s the delusion that sets up unrealistic expectations. Just like at A&M, you have talented but untested options at QB. You don’t know what you have. You have hopes but nothing concrete as far as on the field productions.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

And so far under Sark, there has been no first year bump with recruits. He’s got kids decommitting left and right. Quinn Ewers left for Ohio State. Cade Klubnik was right in there backyard at Westlake and they take the Malik Murphy kid over him from California. These kids don’t care about 2005 or VY or Colt. I’ve seen some guys on the Horns boards taking about how Sark basically has the same talent at Texas as he did at Bama. That’s the delusion that sets up unrealistic expectations. Just like at A&M, you have talented but untested options at QB. You don’t know what you have. You have hopes but nothing concrete as far as on the field productions.

Couple of notes.

Ewers decommitted under Herman.

Sark pushed harder for Murphy over Klubnik.  Sark has question marks no doubt, but you can make the argument his track record with QB's is as good as anybody in CFB.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

Couple of notes.

Ewers decommitted under Herman.

Sark pushed harder for Murphy over Klubnik.  Sark has question marks no doubt, but you can make the argument his track record with QB's is as good as anybody in CFB.

I do expect QB play to be better under Sark. That being said I think Texas fans should try their hardest to wipe the recent bama results from their minds. There isn't a single Texas starter that would have played at Bama during those two years Sark was there. The amount of talent Sark had was unreal. Texas fans do not need to use Bama's offense over the last two seasons as any sort of measuring stick. If they do it could be a rough first couple of seasons. When its all said and done there was 10 first rounders on those two teams. That talent level makes everyone look good. 

• Thanks 1