OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

18 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

What else can I hold on to during our 2-3 win season in football? 😂😂😂😁  Things were fine until Petrino decided to crash-off into the sunset. 

(Note: speaking of pre-Pittman only)

I like Pittman a lot! Arkansas had a solid year in other sports and football looked way better than pre-Pittman that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

The exact reason why I tell people to tap the breaks when they are crowning the next big QB due to high school achievement. Simms was National Player of the Year coming out of high school. 

Heck, i didn’t really think he was that bad. I thought he just needed a year or two to watch and learn and he could’ve been something. Instead they threw him to the wolves too early. Who knows what he could’ve done if his confidence wasn’t killed by then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I like Pittman a lot! Arkansas had a solid year in other sports and football looked way better than pre-Pittman that's for sure.

Absolutely! I think he was the perfect fit for the pigs. I’m betting they get even better this season! (Pig fans you’re welcome for the kiss of death with that prediction!)😂

• LOL! 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, LOL said:

Bookmark this post...   you will never hear me: 

1.) Chant S-E-C at any game or on this message board. That will not happen. Ever. 

2.) Celebrate the accomplishment of another conference team as our own. 

A proviso on these points: I may actually do both at some point, but please know that it will always be done so in a sarcastic or ironic manner. 

In fact, it's a pretty good rule of thumb to read everything I post here in a sarcastic tone of voice. Include this sentence. And this one too. 

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

50 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

What else can I hold on to during our 2-3 win season in football? 😂😂😂😁  Things were fine until Petrino decided to crash-off into the sunset. 

(Note: speaking of pre-Pittman only)

Pittman is The second coming of Bret

1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Heck, i didn’t really think he was that bad. I thought he just needed a year or two to watch and learn and he could’ve been something. Instead they threw him to the wolves too early. Who knows what he could’ve done if his confidence wasn’t killed by then. 

Simms was really pretty good but had a few bad games that were huge. Mack should have redshirted him but I think he caved to the pressure from dad. Especially because Chris had decommitted from Tennessee. There was also a lot of stress between Sims and Applewhite. They were not friends. Chris was a team leader that wanted to hang out with everyone as well as be vocal in off season workouts. Major was more of a frat boy type that had his few guys he hung with but very vocal at game time. Like it or not, Simms played a huge role in bringing in some talented players and that was big to Mack. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Simms was really pretty good but had a few bad games that were huge. Mack should have redshirted him but I think he caved to the pressure from dad. Especially because Chris had decommitted from Tennessee. There was also a lot of stress between Sims and Applewhite. They were not friends. Chris was a team leader that wanted to hang out with everyone as well as be vocal in off season workouts. Major was more of a frat boy type that had his few guys he hung with but very vocal at game time. Like it or not, Simms played a huge role in bringing in some talented players and that was big to Mack. 

Agreed. He still gets blamed for Roy Williams Superman touchdown play, but that’s on the RB. Poor Simms took a 3 step drop and fired and still got hit before the ball was gone. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lhornfan said:

Simms was really pretty good but had a few bad games that were huge. Mack should have redshirted him but I think he caved to the pressure from dad. Especially because Chris had recommitted from Tennessee. There was also a lot of stress between Sims and Applewhite. They were not friends. Chris was a team leader that wanted to hang out with everyone as well as be vocal in off season workouts. Major was more of a frat boy type that had his few guys he hung with but very vocal at game time. Like it or not, Simms played a huge role in bringing in some talented players and that was big to Mack. 

Here's my take, and take it with a grain of salt...

Generally there are two kinds of Quarterbacks. QBs who play with their heads, and QBs who play with their guts

There's nothing wrong with Head QBs. There are numerous great examples of QBs through pro and college history. Generally they're the kind of guys who flourish within a tight structure or system. Think of guys like Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers. All you have to do is build a solid cast of players and place them in the right system, and they are almost guaranteed to lead you to major success. But if there is any significant weakness in your talent or your system, generally your Head QBs are unable to compensate for it. 

Gut QBs are a bit more volatile. You might break records, or you might self-destruct. Think of guys like Patrick Mahomes, John Elway, Brett Favre. Those are guys who find a way to will their team to win. They're the kinda QBs who scramble all over the field and find the open receiver on 3rd and long. The kinda QBs who throw sidearm passes while diving, and still pickup the first down.  

Simms was groomed to play QB, almost from the cradle. I bet his daddy was breaking-down film for him in Pop Warner league. He probably learned all the do's and don'ts of playing the position. This head knowledge, combined with always being the defacto starter at every level (and usually playing on loaded rosters) prevented him from developing the ability to battle back from adversity. 

Applewhite came from relative obscurity. Sure, he had high school honors (what UT recruit doesn't?) But nothing comparable to Simms. Undersized. Average arm. Shoot, I bet Mackovic only recruited him for "depth" behind the prototypical (6'5" 225) Richard Walton...  but Applewhite had grit and guts. The more intense the pressure, the better he seemed to perform. It was as though adversity actually improved his abilities. 

• Like 1

Just now, trashyhound said:

Agreed. He still gets blamed for Roy Williams Superman touchdown play, but that’s on the RB. Poor Simms took a 3 step drop and fired and still got hit before the ball was gone. 

Yes, it was an extraordinary play by Roy Williams and a lucky catch by Teddy Lehman...  but it was 100 percent Sooner Magic. 

Simms did nothing wrong. 

1 hour ago, LOL said:

A proviso on these points: I may actually do both at some point, but please know that it will always be done so in a sarcastic or ironic manner. 

In fact, it's a pretty good rule of thumb to read everything I post here in a sarcastic tone of voice. Include this sentence. And this one too. 

I call BS. You’re probably itching for the Academy in Longview to start stocking their “It Just Means More” t-shirts. Just don’t get in ‘Ol DB’s way when they get there. 

• LOL! 3

23 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I call BS. You’re probably itching for the Academy in Longview to start stocking their “It Just Means More” t-shirts. Just don’t get in ‘Ol DB’s way when they get there. 

Bull Spit….  I won’t buy a Texas shirt if the sec logo is bigger or front and center.  I’m still not excited about the idea.  The only thing that does kinda make me laugh is the Aggies Wheaties have #### in them now.  That’s funny, but about it so far

51 minutes ago, LOL said:

Here's my take, and take it with a grain of salt...

Generally there are two kinds of Quarterbacks. QBs who play with their heads, and QBs who play with their guts

There's nothing wrong with Head QBs. There are numerous great examples of QBs through pro and college history. Generally they're the kind of guys who flourish within a tight structure or system. Think of guys like Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers. All you have to do is build a solid cast of players and place them in the right system, and they are almost guaranteed to lead you to major success. But if there is any significant weakness in your talent or your system, generally your Head QBs are unable to compensate for it. 

Gut QBs are a bit more volatile. You might break records, or you might self-destruct. Think of guys like Patrick Mahomes, John Elway, Brett Favre. Those are guys who find a way to will their team to win. They're the kinda QBs who scramble all over the field and find the open receiver on 3rd and long. The kinda QBs who throw sidearm passes while diving, and still pickup the first down.  

Simms was groomed to play QB, almost from the cradle. I bet his daddy was breaking-down film for him in Pop Warner league. He probably learned all the do's and don'ts of playing the position. This head knowledge, combined with always being the defacto starter at every level (and usually playing on loaded rosters) prevented him from developing the ability to battle back from adversity. 

Applewhite came from relative obscurity. Sure, he had high school honors (what UT recruit doesn't?) But nothing comparable to Simms. Undersized. Average arm. Shoot, I bet Mackovic only recruited him for "depth" behind the prototypical (6'5" 225) Richard Walton...  but Applewhite had grit and guts. The more intense the pressure, the better he seemed to perform. It was as though adversity actually improved his abilities. 

People may slay me for this statement, but I think Colt McCoy was a mixture of the two. The only reason he didn't get more offers was due to playing for such a small high school and wasn't an athletic freak.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

LOL-small-lo-fi.gif

Despite breach of trust with SEC, Texas A&M will be dutiful member
https://archive.ph/biysr (Houston Chronicle)

COLLEGE STATION — Texas A&M has no intention of trying to block the Southeastern Conference from admitting Texas and Oklahoma. The Aggies also have no intention of trusting the SEC again.

The Aggies, multiple A&M insiders have revealed in recent days, learned a valuable lesson from the past week, and it will serve as a three-word mantra moving forward: “Trust no one.”

A&M, the insiders offered, was blindsided by Wednesday’s bombshell news that UT and OU intend to exit the Big 12 and enter the SEC. Whether that’s as early as 2022 or as late as 2025 is to be determined.

A&M athletic director Ross Bjork said “conversations are being had” with the SEC concerning its leaving A&M and other league programs out of the loop on the realignment front — especially when it comes to old nearby rivals — and that “there are definitely procedural matters that need to come forward.”

Bjork was like plenty of others: He’d heard rumors of potential expansion but was stunned when the news broke during A&M’s session Wednesday at SEC Media Days in Hoover, Ala.

“No one saw anything accelerating this fast, of course, and so in terms of mechanisms of expansion, there are processes and procedures,” Bjork told the Chronicle. “We’re making sure our positions and interests have been brought forward in the appropriate manner.”

Bjork added: “At the end of the day, and regardless of who joins the SEC now or in the future, we’re going to compete against them at the highest level on the gridiron, on the court, on the field and in the classroom — in all facets.”

One longtime league insider said A&M, which joined the SEC nine years ago and is still a relative newbie to the nearly 90-year-old conference, became painfully familiar in the past few days with how the powerful conference has operated for decades: pitilessly behind the scenes to get things done.

The insider said the SEC perhaps dealt informally with UT, OU and ESPN in recent months, with the idea of approaching other league members — including A&M — when the Longhorns and Sooners formally informed the Big 12 of their intentions to exit the league and pursue other opportunities. That’s expected to happen Monday.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey has responded with multiple “no comments” in the days since the story broke but also has made it clear he intends to look out for the long-term health of the already-mighty league.

The league insider said Sankey, and smooth-operating SEC commissioner Mike Slive before him, would have had a hard time getting anything done if multiple parties always were involved with early discussions.

Additionally, the insider added, there’s a reason the SEC has become the country’s most powerful football league. It employs an often ruthless, throttle-open approach that does not always leave everyone thrilled but often results in a unanimous “yes” vote among league members in the end.

Because, despite the league infighting, the insider claimed, no one has a member’s back against outsiders like the SEC “family.” Bjork addressed as much in claiming A&M would welcome any newcomers — and then try to whip them in competition.

“The SEC is in the best position to lead in this transformative time in college athletics,” Bjork said. “Obviously, there is interest from others wanting to join us in that journey.”

Speaking of a transformative time, A&M also has been through one in the past year with regard to its presidency. Michael K. Young, largely unpopular in College Station and occasionally unplugged with SEC minutiae, stepped down at the end of the calendar year.

John Junkins served as interim president through May and was succeeded by the university’s 26th president, Kathy Banks, on June 1. A&M’s athletic directors and presidents have been the most involved with the SEC goings-on. Bjork is A&M’s third athletic director since the Aggies joined the SEC in 2012.

A&M chancellor John Sharp, who largely has steered clear of SEC wheelings and dealings in the past decade, leaving those to the president and athletic director, could not be reached for comment. Banks offered in a statement this past weekend that while dealing with a “challenging” few days following the realignment news, “we look forward to continued success in our SEC partnership for many years to come.”

On that front and based on A&M’s initial anger at being left out of early discussions concerning UT and OU following a solid relationship in the Aggies’ first nine years in the SEC, Banks knows she can now try to influence A&M’s positioning in a revamped league.

One of her predecessors at A&M, R. Bowen Loftin, helped the Aggies transition from the Big 12 to the SEC a decade ago. Loftin encourages Banks to get involved in the proverbial horse-trading immediately.

“Questions like (division alignment) have to be answered,” Loftin said. “Where do you draw the boundaries of a new league? Maybe there’s enough guilt on the part of some people that they might give A&M a little more clout in that particular negotiation — if we have the right people at the table.”

I just read a rumor that says the sec will be two 8-team divisions.  Alabama and Auburn will go to the East, Missouri will slide to the west to join the old SWC/Big8/Big12 teams.  ESPN will buy out the rest of the LHN contract which is what Texas will use to pay the Big12.  Then the Sec Network will have two branches/channels to devote better coverage to the divisions.  The Current SEC network will be the East network, the new West network will reside in Austin, former home of the LHN.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I just read a rumor that says the sec will be two 8-team divisions.  Alabama and Auburn will go to the East, Missouri will slide to the west to join the old SWC/Big8/Big12 teams.  ESPN will buy out the rest of the LHN contract which is what Texas will use to pay the Big12.  Then the Sec Network will have two branches/channels to devote better coverage to the divisions.  The Current SEC network will be the East network, the new West network will reside in Austin, former home of the LHN.  

If true, OU and UT just made mortal enemies of the current East teams.   :lol:

• LOL! 1

6 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

That’s a great idea. Oh my gosh, Texas comes rolling in and immediately finally gets into a TV network with A&M who it’s forced upon and the network is in Austin.

You just can’t make this stuff up.

Poor Aggies.

17 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

That’s a great idea. Oh my gosh, Texas comes rolling in and immediately finally gets into a TV network with A&M who it’s forced upon and the network is in Austin.

You just can’t make this stuff up.

Poor Aggies.

Does anyone really care where it’s based out of? The current SEC network isn’t based out of CS. And it being in Austin in no way benefits Texas. 

We’ll make just as much money as everyone else (more money than before), which was our problem with the LHN. And we’ll still go on getting to watch all of the content of our teams. 

Plus, this is all based on a rumor.

If you want to convince yourself that this is some big “gotcha” moment, then I guess go ahead. But it’s grasping for straws and makes you look extremely pathetic. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Does anyone really care where it’s based out of? The current SEC network isn’t based out of CS. And it being in Austin in no way benefits Texas. 

We’ll make just as much money as everyone else (more money than before), which was our problem with the LHN. And we’ll still go on getting to watch all of the content of our teams. 

I guess if you want to convince yourself that this is some big “gotcha” moment, then I guess go ahead. But it’s grasping for straws and makes you look extremely pathetic. 

It would just be funny, JF. Nothing to do with benefit to UT. 
Not a big gotcha either, just amazing Aggies ran off and ended up with UT eventually anyways.

8 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

If you want to convince yourself that this is some big “gotcha” moment, then I guess go ahead. But it’s grasping for straws and makes you look extremely pathetic. 

So you admit the problem was you had an issue with a network you voted for as a conference member?!?! Lol

the big 12 members voted unanimously to allow member institutions to explore the options on the third tier rights and to do as they wished.  Aggy voted in favor of that, then puffed up when Texas capitalized on it.