OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

2 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

If the PAC12 wasn't so abysmal in so many ways, I would be all for Texas going west. But I think that ship has sailed.

Big12>>>>Pac12???? I kinda think so.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

West

Oklahoma

Texas

Texas A&M

Ole Miss

Miss State 

LSU

Arkansas

Missouri

East

Alabama

Auburn

Florida

Kentucky 

Tennessee 

South Carolina 

Vanderbilt

Georgia

That makes sense. The biggest reason Missouri didn’t go into auburn’s spot in the west was to keep the BAMA/ Auburn and BAMA/ Tennessee rivalries intact. Your post actually presents two balanced divisions. I move for a 10 game conference schedule every year, with one permanent cross-division rival and two rotating opponents, plus one of your non-conference games must be vs a P5 team. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Honestly, other than the money, what good has the LHN done for UT?

It allows my brother-in-law to watch the 2005 Rose Bowl at least once a week...  and text me every time he does so.

• LOL! 3

1 minute ago, Valhalla said:

This x1000

I would rather Oklahoma disband the football program than be in the PAC 12.

That's a bit extreme, but I see your point. I mean, other than "branding" it's not fundamentally different than joining the WAC. 

5 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

That makes sense. The biggest reason Missouri didn’t go into auburn’s spot in the west was to keep the BAMA/ Auburn and BAMA/ Tennessee rivalries intact. Your post actually presents two balanced divisions. I move for a 10 game conference schedule every year, with one permanent cross-division rival and two rotating opponents, plus one of your non-conference games must be vs a P5 team. 

If this happens it would be interesting to use the “pod” system instead of the division system. You would play the three other teams in your pod every year and then you could figure out how you want to rotate for the other 6 conferences games.

Pod 1: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, Arkansas.

Pod 2: LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Alabama

Pod 3: Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

Pod 4: Missouri, Tennessee, Vandy, Kentucky. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lobo97 said:

I think OU joining the SEC is more likely than Texas. Texas would have to be willing to do away with the LHN. Not sure they are willing to do that.

That’s not a lifetime deal. It is halfway over at this point and it’s not getting renewed at that rate.

• Like 1

Bad for Arkansas too IMO. 

Yes, but the one advantage A&M has had recruiting in Texas is conference affiliation. Being able to pitch playing in the SEC, while still staying close to home. That would obviously go out the window. 

Just now, Lobo97 said:

Yes, but the one advantage A&M has had recruiting in Texas is conference affiliation. Being able to pitch playing in the SEC, while still staying close to home. That would obviously go out the window. 

That’s really all Texas A&M has to hold on to so far. They will fight the hardest to keep this from happening for sure.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lobo97 said:

That’s really all Texas A&M has to hold on to so far. They will fight the hardest to keep this from happening for sure.

That and throw in the NIL stuff, this might not be too good for Aggieland.

Just now, MrBuddyGarrity said:

If this were to happen how likely is it that Colorado and Nebraska try to get back into the Big12-2? 

What happens to the Kansas’ and Baylor’s and Iowa State’s? Head to C-USA or wherever SMU is?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

If this were to happen how likely is it that Colorado and Nebraska try to get back into the Big12-2? 

4 minutes ago, Stoney said:

What happens to the Kansas’ and Baylor’s and Iowa State’s? Head to C-USA or wherever SMU is?

So, to go all-in on the wild-eyed speculation...  let's say, by some bizarre development, UT is not part of the deal but OU does go to the SEC. And, what the hell, let's say that somehow Okie State piggybacks on the deal: what would this new Big XII/old SEC look like? Where would the conference (UT) brass look to re-bolster and keep the ship afloat? At least for a couple years... 

6 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Oh, I'm sure of that. From an SEC perspective, however, adding Texas and OU would be huge for them. Those two brands are far bigger than A&M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1