Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tweeted out by a Sooner fan this afternoon: Horns and Aggies blame each other for their rivalry staying dead to this day, but I gotta say, Texas trying to join the SEC and Aggie panicking about i

I just don’t believe that. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, eagle34 said:

All time series record Texas Longh

Whatever you have to do to feel better. 
Heck if i was a fan of the whorns I’d be desperate for some relevance too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

Whatever you have to do to feel better. 
Heck if i was a fan of the whorns I’d be desperate for some relevance too. 

LOL at whorns. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

LOL at whorns. 

All joking aside i am ready for the horns to get back to contention. I really enjoyed those early big 12 years with OU, Texas, A&M, Nebraska, k state all being competitive. i guess that ship has sailed now but man i enjoyed those Saturdays. 
 

P.S. God bless Chris Simms
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

All joking aside i am ready for the horns to get back to contention. I really enjoyed those early big 12 years with OU, Texas, A&M, Nebraska, k state all being competitive. i guess that ship has sailed now but man i enjoyed those Saturdays. 
 

P.S. God bless Chris Simms
 

The exact reason why I tell people to tap the breaks when they are crowning the next big QB due to high school achievement. Simms was National Player of the Year coming out of high school. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

The exact reason why I tell people to tap the breaks when they are crowning the next big QB due to high school achievement. Simms was National Player of the Year coming out of high school. 

So was Tate Martell but he’s @$$, my dude. 

  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LOL said:

Bookmark this post...   you will never hear me: 

1.) Chant S-E-C at any game or on this message board. That will not happen. Ever. 

2.) Celebrate the accomplishment of another conference team as our own. 

I've ventured over to "Saturday Down South" and read the comments and the amount of SEC chest thumping from Missouri, Arkansas, those bottom tier schools is embarrassing. I truly don't get that way of thinking.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I get the feeling this the last school year in the Big12-2 for em. 

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I believe I just saw that Texas is prepared to pay their BIG12 buyout.

2 hours ago, PelvisPresley said:

or the teams buyout the conference...which that early number was stated as UT and OU would each have to pay the Big 12 $20M per year...so if that makes sense, $80M total...seems like they would pay that and have this done to play SEC schedules starting next year.

The rumblings I'm hearing is that OU regents asked Big XII if they want cash or check... 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I've ventured over to "Saturday Down South" and read the comments and the amount of SEC chest thumping from Missouri, Arkansas, those bottom tier schools is embarrassing. I truly don't get that way of thinking.

What else can I hold on to during our 2-3 win season in football? 😂😂😂😁  Things were fine until Petrino decided to crash-off into the sunset. 

 

(Note: speaking of pre-Pittman only)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LOL said:

The rumblings I'm hearing is that OU regents asked Big XII if they want cash or check... 

Not $1 scratchers from the Cefco?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

What else can I hold on to during our 2-3 win season in football? 😂😂😂😁  Things were fine until Petrino decided to crash-off into the sunset. 

 

(Note: speaking of pre-Pittman only)

I like Pittman a lot! Arkansas had a solid year in other sports and football looked way better than pre-Pittman that's for sure.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

The exact reason why I tell people to tap the breaks when they are crowning the next big QB due to high school achievement. Simms was National Player of the Year coming out of high school. 

Heck, i didn’t really think he was that bad. I thought he just needed a year or two to watch and learn and he could’ve been something. Instead they threw him to the wolves too early. Who knows what he could’ve done if his confidence wasn’t killed by then. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

So was Tate Martell but he’s @$$, my dude. 

Can't believe we are going to get a Martell/Starkel game this year. Poetic justice lol

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, trashyhound said:

who? 
Oklahoma brings up preWW2 stats against the Aggies? Seriously? 
It doesn’t matter what generation you bring up of A&M vs OU the results are the same. Sooners have always owned the Aggies. 

Was talking about the Texas fan bringing up the overall record to claim dominance when in reality when scholarships were eventually even the series isn’t that huge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

I like Pittman a lot! Arkansas had a solid year in other sports and football looked way better than pre-Pittman that's for sure.

Absolutely! I think he was the perfect fit for the pigs. I’m betting they get even better this season! (Pig fans you’re welcome for the kiss of death with that prediction!)😂

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LOL said:

Bookmark this post...   you will never hear me: 

1.) Chant S-E-C at any game or on this message board. That will not happen. Ever. 

2.) Celebrate the accomplishment of another conference team as our own. 

A proviso on these points: I may actually do both at some point, but please know that it will always be done so in a sarcastic or ironic manner. 

In fact, it's a pretty good rule of thumb to read everything I post here in a sarcastic tone of voice. Include this sentence. And this one too. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Was talking about the Texas fan bringing up the overall record to claim dominance when in reality when scholarships were eventually even the series isn’t that huge.

Gotcha, my bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

What else can I hold on to during our 2-3 win season in football? 😂😂😂😁  Things were fine until Petrino decided to crash-off into the sunset. 

 

(Note: speaking of pre-Pittman only)

Pittman is The second coming of Bret

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, trashyhound said:

Heck, i didn’t really think he was that bad. I thought he just needed a year or two to watch and learn and he could’ve been something. Instead they threw him to the wolves too early. Who knows what he could’ve done if his confidence wasn’t killed by then. 

Simms was really pretty good but had a few bad games that were huge. Mack should have redshirted him but I think he caved to the pressure from dad. Especially because Chris had decommitted from Tennessee. There was also a lot of stress between Sims and Applewhite. They were not friends. Chris was a team leader that wanted to hang out with everyone as well as be vocal in off season workouts. Major was more of a frat boy type that had his few guys he hung with but very vocal at game time. Like it or not, Simms played a huge role in bringing in some talented players and that was big to Mack. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Simms was really pretty good but had a few bad games that were huge. Mack should have redshirted him but I think he caved to the pressure from dad. Especially because Chris had decommitted from Tennessee. There was also a lot of stress between Sims and Applewhite. They were not friends. Chris was a team leader that wanted to hang out with everyone as well as be vocal in off season workouts. Major was more of a frat boy type that had his few guys he hung with but very vocal at game time. Like it or not, Simms played a huge role in bringing in some talented players and that was big to Mack. 

Agreed. He still gets blamed for Roy Williams Superman touchdown play, but that’s on the RB. Poor Simms took a 3 step drop and fired and still got hit before the ball was gone. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lhornfan said:

Simms was really pretty good but had a few bad games that were huge. Mack should have redshirted him but I think he caved to the pressure from dad. Especially because Chris had recommitted from Tennessee. There was also a lot of stress between Sims and Applewhite. They were not friends. Chris was a team leader that wanted to hang out with everyone as well as be vocal in off season workouts. Major was more of a frat boy type that had his few guys he hung with but very vocal at game time. Like it or not, Simms played a huge role in bringing in some talented players and that was big to Mack. 

Here's my take, and take it with a grain of salt...

Generally there are two kinds of Quarterbacks. QBs who play with their heads, and QBs who play with their guts

There's nothing wrong with Head QBs. There are numerous great examples of QBs through pro and college history. Generally they're the kind of guys who flourish within a tight structure or system. Think of guys like Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers. All you have to do is build a solid cast of players and place them in the right system, and they are almost guaranteed to lead you to major success. But if there is any significant weakness in your talent or your system, generally your Head QBs are unable to compensate for it. 

Gut QBs are a bit more volatile. You might break records, or you might self-destruct. Think of guys like Patrick Mahomes, John Elway, Brett Favre. Those are guys who find a way to will their team to win. They're the kinda QBs who scramble all over the field and find the open receiver on 3rd and long. The kinda QBs who throw sidearm passes while diving, and still pickup the first down.  

Simms was groomed to play QB, almost from the cradle. I bet his daddy was breaking-down film for him in Pop Warner league. He probably learned all the do's and don'ts of playing the position. This head knowledge, combined with always being the defacto starter at every level (and usually playing on loaded rosters) prevented him from developing the ability to battle back from adversity. 

Applewhite came from relative obscurity. Sure, he had high school honors (what UT recruit doesn't?) But nothing comparable to Simms. Undersized. Average arm. Shoot, I bet Mackovic only recruited him for "depth" behind the prototypical (6'5" 225) Richard Walton...  but Applewhite had grit and guts. The more intense the pressure, the better he seemed to perform. It was as though adversity actually improved his abilities. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, trashyhound said:

Agreed. He still gets blamed for Roy Williams Superman touchdown play, but that’s on the RB. Poor Simms took a 3 step drop and fired and still got hit before the ball was gone. 

Yes, it was an extraordinary play by Roy Williams and a lucky catch by Teddy Lehman...  but it was 100 percent Sooner Magic. 

Simms did nothing wrong. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LOL said:

A proviso on these points: I may actually do both at some point, but please know that it will always be done so in a sarcastic or ironic manner. 

In fact, it's a pretty good rule of thumb to read everything I post here in a sarcastic tone of voice. Include this sentence. And this one too. 

I call BS. You’re probably itching for the Academy in Longview to start stocking their “It Just Means More” t-shirts. Just don’t get in ‘Ol DB’s way when they get there. 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

I call BS. You’re probably itching for the Academy in Longview to start stocking their “It Just Means More” t-shirts. Just don’t get in ‘Ol DB’s way when they get there. 

Bull Spit….  I won’t buy a Texas shirt if the sec logo is bigger or front and center.  I’m still not excited about the idea.  The only thing that does kinda make me laugh is the Aggies Wheaties have #### in them now.  That’s funny, but about it so far

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, LOL said:

Here's my take, and take it with a grain of salt...

Generally there are two kinds of Quarterbacks. QBs who play with their heads, and QBs who play with their guts

There's nothing wrong with Head QBs. There are numerous great examples of QBs through pro and college history. Generally they're the kind of guys who flourish within a tight structure or system. Think of guys like Tom Brady, Joe Montana, Aaron Rodgers. All you have to do is build a solid cast of players and place them in the right system, and they are almost guaranteed to lead you to major success. But if there is any significant weakness in your talent or your system, generally your Head QBs are unable to compensate for it. 

Gut QBs are a bit more volatile. You might break records, or you might self-destruct. Think of guys like Patrick Mahomes, John Elway, Brett Favre. Those are guys who find a way to will their team to win. They're the kinda QBs who scramble all over the field and find the open receiver on 3rd and long. The kinda QBs who throw sidearm passes while diving, and still pickup the first down.  

Simms was groomed to play QB, almost from the cradle. I bet his daddy was breaking-down film for him in Pop Warner league. He probably learned all the do's and don'ts of playing the position. This head knowledge, combined with always being the defacto starter at every level (and usually playing on loaded rosters) prevented him from developing the ability to battle back from adversity. 

Applewhite came from relative obscurity. Sure, he had high school honors (what UT recruit doesn't?) But nothing comparable to Simms. Undersized. Average arm. Shoot, I bet Mackovic only recruited him for "depth" behind the prototypical (6'5" 225) Richard Walton...  but Applewhite had grit and guts. The more intense the pressure, the better he seemed to perform. It was as though adversity actually improved his abilities. 

People may slay me for this statement, but I think Colt McCoy was a mixture of the two. The only reason he didn't get more offers was due to playing for such a small high school and wasn't an athletic freak.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...