OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

15 hours ago, Baron said:

To your first question...no. Overall conference record wins the pod. As for the bolded text...That's how it was done in the Big 12 when there were two divisions. Each division sent the team with the highest conference record to the CCG even though each team didn't play the same schedule.

Yeah and it didn’t make sense then either. 

The good thing about the pods is that you could play the 3 teams in your pod and 4 teams in another pod and everyone in the same pod plays the same other pod. So one year the western pod will play the northern pod while the southern pod plays the eastern one. Then the next year east vs west and north vs south. 

That ensures everyone plays the same teams. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MavGrad99 said:

I actually like this idea, but the SEC will also want to avoid their teams playing 13 regular season games while all other conferences play 12… the only way to do a semi-final would be a big ### end of the year neutral site semi-final bash where the 4 semi finalists play each other and the other 12 randomly get paired against each other… 

Problems there would be : (1) quality.  You have no idea who you are playing until 6 days prior and (2) there isn’t a single city in the world that could hold the fans that would show up for 16 SEC schools.

Nah it would be simple. If you play 3 teams in your pod and 4 teams in another pod, that’s only 7 conference games. And then a semi + final would mean a 9 game conference schedule for the teams playing for the conference title. (13 games total for the two teams playing for the conference championship)

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

Yeah and it didn’t make sense then either. 

The good thing about the pods is that you could play the 3 teams in your pod and 4 teams in another pod and everyone in the same pod plays the same other pod. So one year the western pod will play the northern pod while the southern pod plays the eastern one. Then the next year east vs west and north vs south. 

That ensures everyone plays the same teams. 

That was my concern, how you compare pod records if the teams don’t play the same cross pod games

21 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

You wild! Ooo, the rivalry will officially be renewed fairly soon, and I am excited about it!

I wish we could start fresh. Meaning A&M could real off 10 straight and you guys will still be like "76-47-5 aggy ####." 😂

I'd love to be able to put games decided before segregation behind us and just focus on both teams in more recent history. 

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I wish we could start fresh. Meaning A&M could real off 10 straight and you guys will still be like "76-47-5 aggy ####." 😂

I'd love to be able to put games decided before segregation behind us and just focus on both teams in more recent history. 

We can, let’s do that.” (referencing your second paragraph only!)

2 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

We can, let’s do that.” (referencing your second paragraph only!)

I do think the gap of not playing for a while kind of sparks a different feel to the rivalry. A reset of some sorts. I believe there will be a little more urgency than in the past for both teams to start the renewal of the series off strong regardless of what the overall record is. 

11 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I do think the gap of not playing for a while kind of sparks a different feel to the rivalry. A reset of some sorts. I believe there will be a little more urgency than in the past for both teams to start the renewal of the series off strong regardless of what the overall record is. 

I bet it’ll be a rough setting each time the game is played.  

28 minutes ago, WETSU said:

You have to be the team that wins that first game. 

42 minutes ago, Stoney said:

You have to be the team that wins that first game. 

Yea I think so as well. Everyone on the Texas side of things thinks that A&M is going to lose its recruiting advantage but if they win that first game I believe its the opposite. If they both are pitching the same product and A&M wins the head to head you could even see a gain instead of a loss from recruiting standpoint. Texas truly needs to start winning and soon. Their recruiting is brutal right now under Sark. 

Just now, PelvisPresley said:

uh what?

I said what I said. Perhaps brutal was too harsh. What I mean to say is they are not recruiting at a championship level at the moment. Sark is losing a lot of guys who were thought to be Texas leans over the last few weeks. 

10 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I said what I said. Perhaps brutal was too harsh. What I mean to say is they are not recruiting at a championship level at the moment. Sark is losing a lot of guys who were thought to be Texas leans over the last few weeks. 

Sark needs the season to start, and he needs to win games convincingly.  You can’t sell kids on a vision for 10 years. That vision has to finally come to fruition

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Sark needs the season to start, and he needs to win games convincingly.  You can’t sell kids on a vision for 10 years. That vision has to finally come to fruition

I agree. This year is very important. He needs a 9-10 win season. 

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Yep

One thing about the situation Texas is in is that it is in must win mode. Not because "we are Texas" but because there's really no reason to lose. Their talent level is ridiculously better than everyone on the schedule except OU. A coach at Texas simply cannot spin the term "rebuild" when you're on paper so much more "talented" than the opposing teams. Sooner or later they are going to have to get a coach that can come in and win fast. If Texas loses 3+ games this year you might as well get a buyout ready and get a first year recruiting bump for your first sec season. 

• Thanks 1

The thing that concerns me about Sark and recruiting is that there isn’t much overlap in who he’s recruiting and Jimbo is recruiting. Different systems. Understandable. Do Texas fans feel like he’s getting Big 12 level talent or SEC level talent? Sumlin was arguably doing the same thing when he was here. 4*,5* skill positions but neglect the lines.

16 minutes ago, WETSU said:

One thing about the situation Texas is in is that it is in must win mode. Not because "we are Texas" but because there's really no reason to lose. Their talent level is ridiculously better than everyone on the schedule except OU. A coach at Texas simply cannot spin the term "rebuild" when you're on paper so much more "talented" than the opposing teams. Sooner or later they are going to have to get a coach that can come in and win fast. If Texas loses 3+ games this year you might as well get a buyout ready and get a first year recruiting bump for your first sec season. 

We need to stop!!!!  You and I have agreed 3 times in a row!!!  Lol

• LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

The thing that concerns me about Sark and recruiting is that there isn’t much overlap in who he’s recruiting and Jimbo is recruiting. Different systems. Understandable. Do Texas fans feel like he’s getting Big 12 level talent or SEC level talent? Sumlin was arguably doing the same thing when he was here. 4*,5* skill positions but neglect the lines.

He’s got a solid class committed right now. Possible fringe top10.  In his presser he stated that he was recruiting for what he wanted and needed for the moment as he isn’t sure when the sec transition happens. All those details are still being hashed out.  Evidently his mindset is he will adjust for sec play when that time comes and doesn’t feel like his style and strategy will change much

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stoney said:

He's had some misses, no sugar coating.  I do agree I don't see much overlap between the two programs.  Anderson is a big loss, but other than him, maybe Kelvin Banks both thought they were in a good spot for and didn't happen?  I'm not sure with Winfield, did a&m go after him hard?  Both teams have commits with offers from the other school, but I don't think were priorities ( just an example, Scarlett for Texas, Hutson for a&m ).  Cameron Williams was a big loss as well.  The two OL currently committed they wanted and were at the top of the board.  Hutson already had a Bama' offer and Conner Robertson was one of the first offers Flood made when he arrived.

I actually like the DL haul.  The big DE from Nevada was previously committed to Washington when Kwiatkowski was still the DC and he went after him after arriving at Texas.  Hard to go against his evals/picks with his track record at the edge position.  Plus I don't think Nevada played HS ball last year.  I really like the Texarkana kid, looks like he gets after the QB in a hurry.  They went hard after the North Shore DT.  I'm honestly not sure about the Arizona DL commit.  I could see Texas landing 2/3 of the DT from Mississippi, a kid from Alabama they are after, and the DT from Marlin (Bremond?).

The LB commit they just got from Mater Dei ran a 4.59 and 4.27 shuttle at 225 lbs. at a recent camp. That's actually really good, but this past spring was his first Varisty action in a shortened 6 game season.  They play Duncanville later this month so I'm interested to see how he looks against them

Guys like Terrance Brooks, Caleb Burton, Bear Alexander were never going to happen anyways.