OU/Texas & The SEC

Stoney

Bledsoe? I’ve heard some things about getting him academically eligible. That’s part of the reason we were told A&M backed off. Now that is a kid that could play if his off the field stuff works out.

Losing Banks hurt. Looking like Dewberry might be heading to OU, not Ohio State. If we can get the big Samoan from Washington. If we can get the Neto kid from Allen. That’s not a bad back to back o-line class. 

15 minutes ago, Stoney said:

If we can get the Neto kid from Allen. 

This one is a hard read.  I think the only visit he took the entire month of June was an OV to USC.  Texas did get him on campus the last week of July.  Seems like he's keeping everybody in the dark.

26 minutes ago, Red90fly said:

He's had some misses, no sugar coating.  I do agree I don't see much overlap between the two programs.  Anderson is a big loss, but other than him, maybe Kelvin Banks both thought they were in a good spot for and didn't happen?  I'm not sure with Winfield, did a&m go after him hard?  Both teams have commits with offers from the other school, but I don't think were priorities ( just an example, Scarlett for Texas, Hutson for a&m ).  Cameron Williams was a big loss as well.  The two OL currently committed they wanted and were at the top of the board.  Hutson already had a Bama' offer and Conner Robertson was one of the first offers Flood made when he arrived.

I actually like the DL haul.  The big DE from Nevada was previously committed to Washington when Kwiatkowski was still the DC and he went after him after arriving at Texas.  Hard to go against his evals/picks with his track record at the edge position.  Plus I don't think Nevada played HS ball last year.  I really like the Texarkana kid, looks like he gets after the QB in a hurry.  They went hard after the North Shore DT.  I'm honestly not sure about the Arizona DL commit.  I could see Texas landing 2/3 of the DT from Mississippi, a kid from Alabama they are after, and the DT from Marlin (Bremond?).

The LB commit they just got from Mater Dei ran a 4.59 and 4.27 shuttle at 225 lbs. at a recent camp. That's actually really good, but this past spring was his first Varisty action in a shortened 6 game season.  They play Duncanville later this month so I'm interested to see how he looks against them

Guys like Terrance Brooks, Caleb Burton, Bear Alexander were never going to happen anyways.

The Texas class isn't bad... Its just not the type thats going to win you sec titles IMO. Thats not a knock I just think like you said they have lost some important guys as of late. 

11 hours ago, WETSU said:

Yes. 

The pods mean nothing but guaranteed opponents essentially. You still base the pod "winner" off of their overall conference record. 

As for the conference title game you can go two ways. A tournament with the 4 pod winners or you could just take the best two records not in the same pod and use extensive tie breakers to break ties. Example would be Bama OU Georgia and A&M all win their pods. Bama was 12-0, OU and Georgia at 11-1 with A&M at 10-2. Bama is in and OU won a tie breaker with Georgia and is in. It would be nearly impossible in a 16 team 4 pod format to get more than 3 teams tie for 1/2. Too many common opponents for that. So a tie breaker could work. I would prefer the semi format but its not a stretch to see something decided by overall records with only 1 team per pod regardless. 

I'd go with the semifinal game. You can seed the pod champs or you can permanently attach two pods. Like pod 1 vs pod 2 and pod 3 vs pod 4 each year regardless of record.

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

I do think the gap of not playing for a while kind of sparks a different feel to the rivalry. A reset of some sorts. I believe there will be a little more urgency than in the past for both teams to start the renewal of the series off strong regardless of what the overall record is. 

As an Aggie fan would you want to be in the same pod as Texas & OU?

4 hours ago, WETSU said:

One thing about the situation Texas is in is that it is in must win mode. Not because "we are Texas" but because there's really no reason to lose. Their talent level is ridiculously better than everyone on the schedule except OU. A coach at Texas simply cannot spin the term "rebuild" when you're on paper so much more "talented" than the opposing teams. Sooner or later they are going to have to get a coach that can come in and win fast. If Texas loses 3+ games this year you might as well get a buyout ready and get a first year recruiting bump for your first sec season. 

I think that Sark has some wiggle room when it comes to win total, IF he shows that his team IS all gas and no brakes. That should get some recruits to take notice.

3 hours ago, Red90fly said:

This one is a hard read.  I think the only visit he took the entire month of June was an OV to USC.  Texas did get him on campus the last week of July.  Seems like he's keeping everybody in the dark.

OU pretty much owns the recruiting at Allen HS

2 hours ago, Baron said:

As an Aggie fan would you want to be in the same pod as Texas & OU?

I want the game against texas every year but I also want the lsu game every year... So im torn. If we can find a way to make the schedule work somehow where I get both games I don't really care. But if I I had to pick I'll settle for the same pod as Texas. 

5 minutes ago, WETSU said:

I want the game against texas every year but I also want the lsu game every year... So im torn. If we can find a way to make the schedule work somehow where I get both games I don't really care. But if I I had to pick I'll settle for the same pod as Texas. 

I would go for the separate pod affiliation. That way you can keep your LSU game at Thanksgiving yet still play Texas twice every four years. Plus I like the idea of pestering Arky and Mizzou.

11 minutes ago, AllGoodNamesRGone said:

Arkansas
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas

LSU
Ole Miss
Mississippi State
Texas A&M

Alabama
Auburn
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina

Most ideal .

Most ideal?  Two teams in the same state, no more than 2 hours apart, in separate pods?  That makes a lot of sense.  They won’t split the two Texas teams.  Nor will the split the two Mississippi teams or Alabama or Tennessee teams.  Those are every year rivalries.  

49 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So you think the Texas duo will be in a pod together then 

I think it makes sense for them too. Also would not be shocked if it wasn't though because if you split then into two pods the other schools get games in Texas more frequently. If you pair them at least 1 pod loses that game in the state for two years... The sec recruits Texas so heavy I could see them splitting up the Texas teams to get more frequent exposure. 

• Thanks 1

All that being said I want the Texas game every year. So unless theres some way to protect a game for everyone (and none of the ideas ice heard make sense) I would like to just pair the old big 12 schools and get it over with lol 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

All that being said I want the Texas game every year. So unless theres some way to protect a game for everyone (and none of the ideas ice heard make sense) I would like to just pair the old big 12 schools and get it over with lol 

So you want what you left to start with?

7 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

So you want what you left to start with?

A&M did not leave the game with Texas. They tried to keep it when they left. Not playing Texas ever again was not a reason for joining the sec. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

A&M did not leave the game with Texas. They tried to keep it when they left. Not playing Texas ever again was not a reason for joining the sec. 

I’m talking about your comment wanting to pair the Big12 schools together, not just Texas.  We all know the reason the Aggies and Longhorns haven’t played the last 10 years.  Texas has tried to play it, the Aggies were more interested in scheduling fcs teams to pass their win column

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’m talking about your comment wanting to pair the Big12 schools together, not just Texas.  We all know the reason the Aggies and Longhorns haven’t played the last 10 years.  Texas has tried to play it, the Aggies were more interested in scheduling fcs teams to pass their win column

My comment was meant as i want the Texas game. A&M never wanted out of the game to begin with. It chose to leave the big 12 for many reasons, mostly involving getting away from having to sit at the table with Texas, but it did not leave the game. A&M tried to keep the game initially and Texas refused to keep it. So a few years later when Texas tried to resume it A&M stuck their nose up at them the same way that was done towards them when they left. But the point is the game itself is not the issue here and most would love to see it. 

Now I know you've got something to say about how Texas has offered and aggy is scared etc... I'm not interested in having the same chicken or the egg fight with you about this because you ignore the other side of the discussion and there's no reason in rehashing this yet again. I only addressed your comment once so you can see why I said my comment. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

My comment was meant as i want the Texas game. A&M never wanted out of the game to begin with. It chose to leave the big 12 for many reasons, mostly involving getting away from having to sit at the table with Texas, but it did not leave the game. A&M tried to keep the game initially and Texas refused to keep it. So a few years later when Texas tried to resume it A&M stuck their nose up at them the same way that was done towards them when they left. But the point is the game itself is not the issue here and most would love to see it. 

Now I know you've got something to say about how Texas has offered and aggy is scared etc... I'm not interested in having the same chicken or the egg fight with you about this because you ignore the other side of the discussion and there's no reason in rehashing this yet again. I only addressed your comment once so you can see why I said my comment. 

Lol, Texas did not refuse to keep it.  They said it would have to be in September due to Big12 scheduling.  That is a fact.  Texas was willing to keep playing and even offered to play it two separate occasions the last ten years.  

“All that being said I want the Texas game every year. So unless theres some way to protect a game for everyone (and none of the ideas ice heard make sense) I would like to just pair the old big 12 schools and get it over with lol “

the bolder part was actually what my comment was about.  Being back with the Big12 teams. 

36 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Lol, Texas did not refuse to keep it.  They said it would have to be in September due to Big12 scheduling.  That is a fact.  Texas was willing to keep playing and even offered to play it two separate occasions the last ten years.  

“All that being said I want the Texas game every year. So unless theres some way to protect a game for everyone (and none of the ideas ice heard make sense) I would like to just pair the old big 12 schools and get it over with lol “

the bolder part was actually what my comment was about.  Being back with the Big12 teams. 

Did you not see the "get it over with" part of that... We all know thats what's coming. Mizzou has no natural rivalries to justify pairing it anywhere and ou and Texas are together. So basically those 3 are almost a given IMO. When it comes what to do with A&M you have two choices and its leave them paired with LSU and only have the game with Texas in years their pods meet OR you pair A&M with Texas in a pod in order to keep that game played every year. I don't "want" to be in the same old big 12 pod I'm just saying thats the logical play in this scenario.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:57 AM, WETSU said:

I wish we could start fresh. Meaning A&M could real off 10 straight and you guys will still be like "76-47-5 aggy ####." 😂

I'd love to be able to put games decided before segregation behind us and just focus on both teams in more recent history. 

I'll bet if the shoe was on the other foot, you would be singing a different tune ... :woot:

On 8/6/2021 at 10:57 AM, WETSU said:

I wish we could start fresh. Meaning A&M could real off 10 straight and you guys will still be like "76-47-5 aggy ####." 😂

I'd love to be able to put games decided before segregation behind us and just focus on both teams in more recent history. 

I'm of the mind that "modern" college football didn't begin until the post-war era. Before then college football was (for 9/10s of the country) little more than intramural. 

But yeah, I'd agree with a line of demarcation before and after integration. The game only became truly great once everyone was allowed to play.