Austin Westlake coach Todd Dodge to retire after 2021 season

RETIREDFAN1

15 hours ago, Ballboy23 said:

Congrats Coach Dodge. Fantastic high school coach, college not so much.

This is not a shot at TD, but wasnt his record at Marble Falls very mediocre?  Of course he's going to be known for winning at SLC, West Lake and Cameron Yoe, but hasn't SLC and CY been successful since he's left and before was there?  Also, what was the record like at Newman Smith and Fossil Ridge?

I think a lot of these "legendary" coaches have been in the right spot at the right time.  Again, I have nothing agaisnt the man and if I were in the situation he's been in I wouldn't be apologizing to a soul, but let's put some things in perspective.  

6 hours ago, nationalpastime said:

This is not a shot at TD, but wasnt his record at Marble Falls very mediocre?  Of course he's going to be known for winning at SLC, West Lake and Cameron Yoe, but hasn't SLC and CY been successful since he's left and before was there?  Also, what was the record like at Newman Smith and Fossil Ridge?

I think a lot of these "legendary" coaches have been in the right spot at the right time.  Again, I have nothing agaisnt the man and if I were in the situation he's been in I wouldn't be apologizing to a soul, but let's put some things in perspective.  

Was he really that successful at Yoe? He was only here a couple of years...

9 hours ago, nationalpastime said:

I don't know about Camera Yoe, but Southlake definitely hasn't been anywhere near as successful as they were when he was there. They went to 5 straight state title games...and won 4 of them.

Last season's return to the title game for Southlake was just their second appearance since Dodge left. They won in 2011, but that's their lone title since Todd went to UNT.

Successful coach.  No doubt about it.  Anyone who says otherwise is just being a hater.  They don't just hand out rings.  And who's to say any of those "talented" programs wins without him there.  There are probably better coaches out there who weren't in as good a situation, that's how life goes.  But you have to acknowledge that he was able to accomplish the ultimate goal multiple times with the teams he had.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2021 at 12:20 PM, JBizzle said:

Successful coach.  No doubt about it.  Anyone who says otherwise is just being a hater.  They don't just hand out rings.  And who's to say any of those "talented" programs wins without him there.  There are probably better coaches out there who weren't in as good a situation, that's how life goes.  But you have to acknowledge that he was able to accomplish the ultimate goal multiple times with the teams he had.

They also don't just hand out quarterbacks that play 10+ years in the NFL in high school unless I'm missing something.

I'm not taking away from the fact that he was at the right place at the right time and his name is tagged to those state championships. If I was in his shoes i would definitely not be apologizing. 

On 7/27/2021 at 9:04 PM, LoboFan07 said:

I don't know about Camera Yoe, but Southlake definitely hasn't been anywhere near as successful as they were when he was there. They went to 5 straight state title games...and won 4 of them.

Last season's return to the title game for Southlake was just their second appearance since Dodge left. They won in 2011, but that's their lone title since Todd went to UNT.

Not to mention....people forget that SLC wasn't exactly "on top of the world" when he got there. And they haven't been the same since he left either. They win games but they arent the well oiled machine that they were under Dodge.

Westlake has gone from a program that wins games to a dynasty since he arrived.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Not to mention....people forget that SLC wasn't exactly "on top of the world" when he got there. And they haven't been the same since he left either. They win games but they arent the well oiled machine that they were under Dodge.

Westlake has gone from a program that wins games to a dynasty since he arrived.

I think from 1987 to 1993 SLC lost a total of 5 games and they won 3 state titles and they had a deep playoff run in like 97 or 98.  But I think they were 3a and 4a then. 

I think he got to SLC in 2000 and although the program was down a bit, but it wasn't that far removed from being one of the best in the state. A good coach can win big at that school. Also, I wouldn't exactly call Westlake a dynasty quite yet, but they are knocking on the door.  Carthage and Aledo are dynasties to me. 

2 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

I think from 1987 to 1993 SLC lost a total of 5 games and they won 3 state titles and they had a deep playoff run in like 97 or 98.  But I think they were 3a and 4a then. 

I think he got to SLC in 2000 and although the program was down a bit, but it wasn't that far removed from being one of the best in the state. A good coach can win big at that school. Also, I wouldn't exactly call Westlake a dynasty quite yet, but they are knocking on the door.  Carthage and Aledo are dynasties to me. 

SLC was good under Ledbetter.

But from 96-99 under Rapp, they were pulling 3, 6, 7 win seasons. Dodge comes in and in year 1, they win 9 games and by year 3....16-0 state champs and the beginning of the best 5 year run in top classification history.

7 years at Westlake...3 title games, 2 titles. Westlake played in semifinal games 5 of those 7 years.....would've played Longview in the SC in 2018 if not for injuries. He'll probably win another one this year and folks better be lucky he's retiring because Westlake's 2024 class is stacked.

Sounds dynastyish to me.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ANTI said:

SLC was good under Ledbetter.

But from 96-99 under Rapp, they were pulling 3, 6, 7 win seasons. Dodge comes in and in year 1, they win 9 games and by year 3....16-0 state champs and the beginning of the best 5 year run in top classification history.

7 years at Westlake...3 title games, 2 titles. Westlake played in semifinal games 5 of those 7 years.....would've played Longview in the SC in 2018 if not for injuries. He'll probably win another one this year and folks better be lucky he's retiring because Westlake's 2024 class is stacked.

Sounds dynastyish to me.

takes more than 2 championships to be a dynasty IMO. but if they win it this yr then they enter that discussion.  regardless they are one of the top 5 programs in 6a.  They are losing a big time coach when he goes.  He is still young in terms of coaching. I bet he coaches again.

• Like 1