Meanwhile, Some of Lion's Work Is Displayed...

BarryLaverty

Just now, trashyhound said:

I’m all for holding them to stricter standards while letting them know that we believe they are capable of great things. 
Instead we hand out grades like welfare and expect them to strive to do better? madness 

That is madness--if you don't have high expectations for your students, then they will NEVER accomplish anything. Something we can agree on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DannyZuco said:

if you give a grade below 50 on a report card, you had better have sufficient documentation of the students work 

How about the fact that they earned that grade? You didn't "give it to them". I get that sometimes "things happen", but for the most part, students "earn" their grades.

Just now, Monte1076 said:

How about the fact that they earned that grade? You didn't "give it to them". I get that sometimes "things happen", but for the most part, students "earn" their grades.

Yes, I missed phrased that one--I have always provided my students with the grade they earned--through 27 years--and failed grades I have provided more than enough sufficient documentation to their parents that would warrant their failing grade. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Monte1076 said:

I seen times when I would have killed for a grade of 50....😱😬😎

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Dang I kinda wish I didn't block him so I can see his reponse lol. 

I've heard people talk about this blocking feature.  Is this really a thing?  I can think of one poster in particular I would block immediately.

• LOL! 1

10 minutes ago, CarthDawg77 said:

(I have never claimed to be the sharpest hand grenade in the drawer😎)

If you had listened more to your teachers--you would have known that you don't place hand grenades in a drawer and that you would be the sharpest tool in the shed. :rofl:

• LOL! 1

23 minutes ago, DAWG91 said:

I've heard people talk about this blocking feature.  Is this really a thing?  I can think of one poster in particular I would block immediately.

Yes, it is. I've used it before. Mouse over the person's name on the left side, you'll see a pop-up come up. At the bottom of it there's an option for "ignore".

14 minutes ago, Monte1076 said:

Yes, it is. I've used it before. Mouse over the person's name on the left side, you'll see a pop-up come up. At the bottom of it there's an option for "ignore".

Thanks.  So I'll need to login on my pc.

4 hours ago, DAWG91 said:

I didn't block him immediately lol. I just have it fixed to where he can't see my post and I can't see his.

8 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

I didn't block him immediately lol. I just have it fixed to where he can't see my post and I can't see his.

I think I'll need to login using my pc to use the feature. I've not figured out how to work the mouse on my phone yet.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

5 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

#####. In the time that I have been in public education, we have become much more demanding, innovative, and progressive, and we have prepared a generation in Texas with higher expectations and skills than the generation before this one or any other. This in spite of relentless attack by ideologues and government haters and profiteers trying to pretend they know how to reinvent the wheel. 

I'm not buying this at all.  I've seen the youth of today, and they don't even know how to use cursive.  Their writing is worse than the sign above.  They are actually encourage to use calculators when doing math problems and can't even do simple addition and subtraction.  Don't believe me pull some extra change out at the last minute to get an exact dollar amount back in change.  The other day they were going to owe me $18.75  in payback so I already had $1.25 out to get a $20.  They spent about 30 seconds on the calculator to figure that out.  It takes me less than 2 seconds to do that easy math.  When's the last time a cashier actually counted back change to you ?  That was common practice up until the 90's.  Don't even get me started on History.  We've seen countless videos where they didn't know about certain important events in American History.  Maybe they're learning to be more woke than to actually study History.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Monte1076 said:

I saw an article once from California (I believe) that actually said there were schools that let kids use "leet speak" (i.e. writing gr8 instead of the word "great", and the letter U to represent the word "you"), and they apparently weren't counted off for it.

I've also heard of districts forbidding teachers from using red pens/markers to grade, because it apparently makes the students feel bad, or something, if there's too much red on their paper.

My understanding, too, is that at one point Dallas ISD was going to put a "floor" on grades of 50. In other words, if you did none of your assignments, or turned them in and got all the questions wrong, you'd still get a 50 in the class.

Leet speak ?  I always called that Slade speak, because most of their song titles were spelled like that.  Prince picked up on it with his song titles as well, and i would not doubt many believe that he originated it.  

18 hours ago, BarryLaverty said:

#####. In the time that I have been in public education, we have become much more demanding, innovative, and progressive, and we have prepared a generation in Texas with higher expectations and skills than the generation before this one or any other. This in spite of relentless attack by ideologues and government haters and profiteers trying to pretend they know how to reinvent the wheel. 

So you don’t believe we have problems in education? 
i know you are quick to defend public education and i enjoy beating your doors in about it. 
but all joking aside, I’m a fan of our youth and i care about their success, as i know you do too. So that’s some common ground we share. I also think we could probably agree that less politics and more parenting would also help the outcome. I’m not holding my breathe for either. 
So now what? Barry, how would you improve education? please don’t lead with more money. Public schools already spend way more per student than the countries that are kicking out behinds. 

35 minutes ago, trashyhound said:

please don’t lead with more money. Public schools already spend way more per student than the countries that are kicking out behinds. 

I think your a right here--it's not a money problem--it's where the money is spent problem--more money goes to the "Chiefs" instead of the Indians. Now don't get me wrong, there needs to be a person in charge and others to run a successful district--but you have to wonder how many districts are "top heavy". Meaning they have too many people at the top making decisions in which the "right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing". 

Teachers need to be rewarded more for their actual efforts. Not a superintendent that only makes an appearance when he can get a photo op--sounds like every politician ever. I can honest say that I believe our last superintendent was more worried about their next job and taking care of the kids of this district. Prime example--budget shortfall--teachers pay frozen--added 16 new members to administration--all making at least 100K. 

This is where things need to change MORE than anywhere else. Teachers have great ideas to keep students involved--but those at the top--have to keep test scores up--meaning more paperwork for educators. 

2 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

I think your a right here--it's not a money problem--it's where the money is spent problem--more money goes to the "Chiefs" instead of the Indians. Now don't get me wrong, there needs to be a person in charge and others to run a successful district--but you have to wonder how many districts are "top heavy". Meaning they have too many people at the top making decisions in which the "right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing". 

Teachers need to be rewarded more for their actual efforts. Not a superintendent that only makes an appearance when he can get a photo op--sounds like every politician ever. I can honest say that I believe our last superintendent was more worried about their next job and taking care of the kids of this district. Prime example--budget shortfall--teachers pay frozen--added 16 new members to administration--all making at least 100K. 

This is where things need to change MORE than anywhere else. Teachers have great ideas to keep students involved--but those at the top--have to keep test scores up--meaning more paperwork for educators. 

Agreed! 

i also think eliminating a bunch of the #### out of Austin would cut down on the numbers of administrators needed to meet those requirements. 

21 hours ago, DannyZuco said:

There are many districts in Texas that floor grades at 50--at least my school district says that if you give a grade below 50 on a report card, you had better have sufficient documentation of the students work and parental notification. 

#Intimidation,much?🤬

5 hours ago, trashyhound said:

So you don’t believe we have problems in education? 
i know you are quick to defend public education and i enjoy beating your doors in about it. 
but all joking aside, I’m a fan of our youth and i care about their success, as i know you do too. So that’s some common ground we share. I also think we could probably agree that less politics and more parenting would also help the outcome. I’m not holding my breathe for either. 
So now what? Barry, how would you improve education? please don’t lead with more money. Public schools already spend way more per student than the countries that are kicking out behinds. 

I appreciate your thoughts and kind tone, so I don't have to be a big jerk, when I respond! 😁 Let me preface my response by first repeating that I do think we do a hellacious job in educating kids. But, I would make some improvements, if possible. 

First, I believe in fully funded PREK and Kindergarten programs. All research shows that the first 5 years of development in a person's life can make or break them in cognitive skills. If we uniformly had kids who could read and write and have other skills before 1st grade, that would set things right for a lot who struggle later. 

Second, I would reduce the amount of testing that is mandated by the state to a bare minimum, and I would look at national tests like the ACT or ACT or ASVAB or the Accuplacer for progress check.  I think accountability by state testing should be scrapped. Too much money and time and pressure on everyone involved doesn't show real growth or skill level, always. 

Third, I would look at a tracking, like the European model, where students advance in their final years, based on their interest and abilities, rather than one size fits all college prep too often. We have career and tech programs, but we could expand and allow them more latitude in what they take in their last two years, instead of another math or science class, they complete a practicum or internship in a field of interest. 

Fourth, and the one you may like least, I would look much harder at our funding mechanism for our schools, so that there is much better equity in salaries and facilities and technology. As it is now, if you live in the DFW area, you get a much better opportunity with many more programs with teachers flocking there for higher salaries in much nicer classroom settings with full technology than you do if you live in BFE. Where you live shouldn't be the deciding factor in a quality education, in my opinion. 

Just some of my thoughts. Fire away! 😏